Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brad Mehldhau wrist roll habit ?

Jazz+

Wrist rolls and opening and closing hand:

Mehldau solo starts at 5:15:

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I noticed that I often do something kind of similar. For me, it's an unconscious habit, but I think there are a couple reasons why it became a habit: one, that motion of closing into a fist and then releasing helps to keep everything relaxed in the hand, and two, I have this "crick" (don't know what else to call it) in my wrist, which kind of builds up tension over time until I crack it. It's almost exactly like cracking a knuckle, except it's in my wrist. It doesn't need to be cracked all the time, but I can tell when it does, because my wrist starts to feel a little stiff, and once I crack it, everything is nice and loose again. Over the years, it has just become second nature to do that wrist-cracking motion, which is actually very similar to what Brad is doing in that video, when he kind of bends his wrist and twists a little. He might be doing it for a similar reason, but I can only guess.

He is releasing hand tension when he opens and closes it.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

But why the wrist rolls, is that simply to reduce tension also? Or is there more to it ?

I noticed that I often do something kind of similar. For me, it's an unconscious habit, but I think there are a couple reasons why it became a habit: one, that motion of closing into a fist and then releasing helps to keep everything relaxed in the hand, and two, I have this "crick" (don't know what else to call it) in my wrist, which kind of builds up tension over time until I crack it. It's almost exactly like cracking a knuckle, except it's in my wrist. It doesn't need to be cracked all the time, but I can tell when it does, because my wrist starts to feel a little stiff, and once I crack it, everything is nice and loose again. Over the years, it has just become second nature to do that wrist-cracking motion, which is actually very similar to what Brad is doing in that video, when he kind of bends his wrist and twists a little. He might be doing it for a similar reason, but I can only guess.

Interesting. I have exactly the same condition in my left wrist - or it certainly behaves exactly as you described it. I just sort of know when it needs to be cracked and I do this isometric thing where I somehow tense exactly the right combination of muscles and whatever it is that is bound up cracks and releases. I just started doing it a few years ago and never really thought about it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived