Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

noob set list app - midi question

jvckey

Hello all,

I'm figuring out how to use a set list app to change programs during playing. The question is: Is it possible to configure a foot switch pedal (attached to the keyboard) to send midi data through the keyboard's midi out, so the app returns the program change (i.e. sound, patch, tone) through the keyboard's midi in?

In my case the keyboard will be a Roland FA-06

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gear: Yamaha MO8, Roland FA-06.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe change the title to 'Need help with Setlist App - MIDI question'

I have never used the program so I am no help.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Haven't figured out how to do it with a pedal, but you can do it with a key or button. I have SLM set up to scroll through multiple page documents when I repeatedly press my highest G key on my PC3 (no sound is assigned to this key). I still manually "flip" the page to move to the next song, which then sends bank/patch changes, but you should be able to automate that too.

It's a "remote control" option. Here's the link:

SLM-remote control tutorial

For the particular database you want to do this in, select it, then select Settings. Go to Remote Control. Set the Page position to on. Set your MIDI channel. You can now set a MIDI command to a button, or a key, using either the General Purpose Buttons under the MIDI Controller Messages, or MIDI note messages (which is how my high G works). The command is "Next screen or song". As long as you have each song set to send patch/bank change messages , as soon as you trigger (using key or button) the "next screen" command, once that song is pulled up, it'll send patch/bank change messages and your keys should be all set up.

I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the pedal to work. After working with no automation at all, I'm pretty happy with flipping to the next song with a swipe, and having my keys be all set up. If you figure it out, let us know. You can also try Arlo's forum...he's really good at getting back quickly.

Good luck

"May you stay...forever young."

OnSong for iPad can do this. You can set up a MIDI Program Change in each song's metadata, and then you can order songs into set lists,

As can Unrealbook...although an advantage of UB, is you cna add a "transmogrify" virtual button anywhere on any page of a chart.

This button can transmit simple (and complicated - incl sysex and importantly HEX) midi data to external devices at the, well, "touch" of a button.

This is in conjunction with a set of midi data that can be set up and transmitted automatically when the chart is loaded.

Not sure if OnSong has these transmog buttons or not. But they mean that one is not restricted to just one set of data in a song. Indeed you can insert as many trasnmog buttons as you want. They also do other things like start a backing track, start recording, display a pop up "note to self" among others.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Archived