Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keys/synth lesson recommendations..

ChewisLewis

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't vouch for it because I haven't tried it myself, but the folks at Keyboard's sister publication Electronic Musician liked this.

http://syntorial.com

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hey guys, I am looking to receive lessons on how to use synthesizers. Know of any online resources/lessons?

Thanks

Need a little clarification here. Some of the other responses here are leaning to how to program.

I suspect (based upon some of your other posts) that you're really asking how to use different keyboard sounds in a given context. Yes/no???

What are you wanting to do?

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I guess I really just want to know how to use a keyboard/synth enough to be confident with experimenting and knowing it sounds good, not like an amateur.

Well, we all started at the place you are right now. Definitely spend your time "experimenting" with different sounds and techniques. That's the best way to find out what sounds good and works well in a musical context.

Check out the videos and programming libraries suggested above as well.

What keyboards are you using?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I guess I really just want to know how to use a keyboard/synth enough to be confident with experimenting and knowing it sounds good, not like an amateur.

I presume you're playing in a church band doing contemporary worship music. If that's the case, I also assume you're wanting to know how to decide what sound/sounds to use for a given song and how to play that sound.

For instance, depending on the song, you may need a piano, electric piano, organ, strings, etc. If you're asking how to pick which sound to use, I recommend going back to the original recording and see what is being done. If your context is similar to the context of the original artist, then this is a good place to begin. In other words, if the song was performed by a band and you're trying to duplicate in a band setting, copy what the original artist did.

Regarding how to play a given sound varies greatly. You don't play a piano the same way that you play an organ (or strings, or brass sounds, etc.). The playing style is different and you generally don't play in the same ranges nor with the same chord voicings. Some of the worst keyboard playing I've encountered (normally in a church setting) is when somebody that knows how to play piano tries to play other synth sounds. It is wretched.

If you're looking for more direction how to play different keyboard sounds, I'd again recommend listening to what keyboard players are doing on original recordings.

There is no short cut to this. It's a deep rabbit hole. But you're taking the first step by asking where to start.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Yes. I am also looking for help with fundamentals.

I've been listening to Chvrches lately, feeling inspired.

This isn't quite what you're asking, but I'll blurt it out anyway.

- Take piano lessons.

- Look on YouTube for suggestions for tutorials about how your keyboard or synth functions, such as programming sounds and getting the most out of it.

- Don't just use the patches or you'll sound like everyone else

- Using the right sounds in the right context is largely a function of taste. How many times do you hear someone who knows how to play keyboards well, but they use cheesy godawful patches?

- Don't always play big giant chords within the context of a song. Let the bass, guitars, or other instruments do their thing and give them their space. You don't have to play low bass notes if you already have a bass player holding that down. Work with other midrange instruments in getting a really great arrangement. Listen.

- If you are playing in an original band that writes their own music and wish to separate yourself and have people take notice, stop sounding like everyone else and try original ideas and original sounds

Check out Dubspot. They have all kinds of courses in what you're talking about and they're aimed at folks similar to you.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived