Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for Kurzweil PC3 owners. Malfunctions?

RudyS

Hey all,

I received my Kurzweil PC3 yesterday. Totally excited I unwrapped it from the box and connected the power and jack cables in my mixer. I booted the device and saw nothing in the screen. Waited for a while, but was sure it was completely booted (I could play the sounds) but still nothing on the screen. I adjusted the brightness and contrast on the rear panel but nothing. So I think the back-light is broken. A real deception of course..

I called the story where I bought it, and while it is an occasion, I have a year warranty so of course the are going to deal with it.

But, I have a few other concerns. Of course I can not completely check what I am doing without the display so I have a few questions for owners of a PC3(x). I want to know if some other things are not good, so I can address this immediately when they are fixing the back-light.

-While in program mode, the category buttons light an yellow LED. But if I select the "organ category" the button does not show an LED. Also when I am in the "strings" bank and select the sounds under the organ category.

-If I select the KB3 button, an blue LED should light up, but it doesn't. When I am in KB3 mode the PC3 does not respond to anything. Even when i press exit a few times I can't go back to other programs.

-Sometimes when I scroll through the programs and come by an organ patch It will be stuck at a note, even when I did not play one. Again, complete freeze.

Is there something terrible wrong with this board? I hope you guys can help. I really love the sounds so far, would really love this thing to work properly.

Rudy

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

register your PC3 and type a mail to:

support@kurzweil.com

You have new gear and it´s under warranty,- so you should contact support not to lose the warranty.

With luck, it´s only a loose ribbon cable/connection.

All other questions are speculative, fix display issue 1st, than check out the machine.

A.C.

Thank you A.C.

It is not a new board. It is an occasion, so don't know about warranty at Kurzweil.

Can I still register my PC3 at kurzweil, although it is an occasion?

When you got it used, the previous owner might have it registered already

When it´s out of warranty,- open the machine,- there are instructions in the web or you can get these from Kurzweil support.

Then look for a loose ribbon cable connection,- it´s a common failure.

I never had it w/ my PC361, but many others had loose cable connection after shipping/transport.

When the display is really dead, well, the machine needs repair.

A.C.

Regardless of "used" or if it is "registered"... contact Kurzweil support and they will assist.

Always use this link for support: http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/

Fill out all of the information.

The screen problem could be caused by a loose cable/connector. There is a hatch on the underside of the keyboard - you can remove this by taking out some screws. Check to see if a grey cable has been disconnected.

Good luck!

Thank you very much A.C and Dave.

I opened up the PC3 and indeed there was a loose ribbon cable. One of the pins on the side is broken off, so it is not locked in its connector anymore. I have taped it, but might search for a more sustainable option.

It solved all the problems. Everything is working properly now.

Again thank you very much.

Rudy

Upgrading from 1.35 to 2.21 gives a LOT of added functionality (in addition to bug fixes).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived