Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

What monitor setting do you guys (and galls, of course) use normally? I mean do you make sure you sit straight in front, get an accurate pixel-per-pixel match (no zoom), and set up the right modes on computer and monitor (like dither and gamma settings on graphics card and the "program" of the screen like "standard" "rich color" or "S-RGB")?

You could do processing that by and large defies those settings, but working with HDR and high resolution materials (this picture originally was 16 Mega pixels) as well as good and preferably 32 bit screen connection, it's tempting to optimize the 1k 8bit ping image like above for a "clean" screen, which, well, looks a little bit stupid..

T.

I sit in front, I do zoom in occasionally if I need to pixel peep, and don't have anything unusual set up on the monitor. I should use Spyder or some such thing to get color-accurate stuff, but never do. I darken the monitor slightly so I don't have something that is too bright. I am using an old 2007 Apple Cinema Display 30" monitor, which is nice and huge.

This is my rig:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/30-113-312-02.jpg

It comes with ViewNX2 which I only use to move images to my computer.

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro to view and crop (or if need be, lighten or darken images, change hue to bring out colors that may not have been apparent when photographed, so forth).

Pretty basic stuff for me. I do not put a lot of technical thought into it. I am a "see it, point and shoot" kind of person.

This camera is 5X zoom and 14 megapixels. Not bad for a budget camera and it does video, too.

:)

This is my rig:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/30-113-312-02.jpg

It comes with ViewNX2 which I only use to move images to my computer.

I use Corel Paint Shop Pro to view and crop (or if need be, lighten or darken images, change hue to bring out colors that may not have been apparent when photographed, so forth).

Pretty basic stuff for me. I do not put a lot of technical thought into it. I am a "see it, point and shoot" kind of person.

This camera is 5X zoom and 14 megapixels. Not bad for a budget camera and it does video, too.

:)

I use ViewNX2 also, allthough I will do slight tweaks, such as White Balance adjustments every once in a while, and small exposure tweaks prior to importing.

I then will do any heavy lifting that needs to be done in Photoshop CS6.

All the photos that I post from my iPhone on FB are untouched, primarily because I just can't be bothered. Those are just supposed to be fun, immediate stuff. For other things, I'll try and get the photo as perfect as possible, even though we are talking about small percentage increments, such as a little noise in long exposure night photos with hot pixels or something that I will spend a long time trying to eliminate.

• 2 weeks later...

All illumination and colored lights were done with a handheld flashlight during the exposure, and is not a post-processing creation.

Ken Lee Photography

Ford Face (8840)

Photo: Ken Lee Photography

Info: Nikon D610, AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED lens at 14mm.

Mojave Desert, CA USA/EE UU

8840kenlee-2015-10-26-141sf8iso200-4000k-d610_pearsonville-oldfordtruckblueinterior-straightview-1000px.jpg

8964kenlee_2015-11-23_23-17_115sf8iso400-4000k_alabamahills-mobiusarch-moonbacklighting-lightpainting-redwithstarburstmoon-1000-2.jpg

The Alabama Hills, Mobius Arch with the winter moon peaking through on a cold November night, Mojave Desert. And sure, some fun red light illuminating the rocky formation to create this Martian-like landscape.

This is one of several huge benefits that a photographer experiences - and hopefully those who look at the photos.

I know when I began taking photography more seriously, I was forever changed, constantly finding beauty in the ordinary as well as the extraordinary.

Great shot Mike!

In case anyone was wondering why this thread has been a bit quieter the past few months, it's because Mike made a KC Photo group on facebook when the forum was taken down unexpectedly. So a bit of the usual discussion has been happening over there.

But this thread seems to be picking up a bit of steam again. Here's a picture from a quick 6 day road trip I took across the us (LA to Pittsburgh).

25567144411_bd20fc49f4_b.jpg

West Mitten Butte by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr