Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Anyone want to recommend a good book on Macro Photography? Bonus points if it is available on Kendal. I'm grounded to the house for a couple of weeks so I am going to try and get some real practice in on macro photography. Want to build my chops before going out in the field.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't looked into any books. What kinds of things are you looking to photograph in Macro?

I've experimented with it a lot over the last couple years and really enjoy it, I can share a few tips.

• Depth of Field: When shooting Macro your depth of field is very narrow. If you're shooting an bug as example it is easy to have an eye in focus but the rest of the bug is a total blur so you'll have to shoot at higher aperture values to get good focus.
  • The problem with depth of field will lead to a problem with a lack of light. There are all kinds of ways to supplement, off camera flash, ring lights, LED lights and more. I have a funny flash diffuser I made for macro that works great...I'll have to post a picture.
  • Focus: 98% the time it is only going to happen by moving the camera to/from the subject.
  • What lenses are you using? Almost any lens can become a macro lens by adding Extension tubes or by "Reversing" your lens.

Not an extreme Macro but this photo was taken last weekend by using a 13mm extension tube on my 85mm lens.

16873536530_0d110240d4_b.jpgWhite Peacock Butterfly by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks Mike. I'm looking for ideas about composition, tips on lighting, etc... I'm restricted to photographing around the house and yard for the next few weeks. When you go macro the area becomes much bigger and more interesting.

Took delivery of "Macro Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots" today. It is great how quickly Amazon can deliver a book. So far I really like the book. As for what I am using, primarily a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Anyone want to recommend a good book on Macro Photography? Bonus points if it is available on Kendal. I'm grounded to the house for a couple of weeks so I am going to try and get some real practice in on macro photography. Want to build my chops before going out in the field.

Cool! It'll be interesting to see what you come up with. Thanks for letting us know what book you decided on and what your thoughts are on it.

And since I'm here, I'll post a photo that I just took over the weekend.

6014kenlee-2015-04-04-2121-402sf8iso200-3850k_wishtoyo-chumash-home-startrails-pacific-1000px.jpg

April 4 was a full moon, the perfect natural light for some "light painting" photography. And I wanted to light paint something with the Chumash, a Native American people living in Southern California. Thankfully, Mati Waiya and Luhui Isha Waiya of Wishtoyo Foundation answered the call, letting me photograph their beautiful village in Malibu on some bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean throughout the evening. But this isn't just a re-creation; it's a living Chumash cultural village. This cultural village is the only one of its kind in Southern California. They teach about native plants, sustainability, and more through the lens of traditional Chumash cultural values and practices. The village is on land that is the historic home of the Chumash, with eight Chumash prehistoric sites existing within a half mile of the present village, existing as early as 4000-6000 BC. Everything came together during this magical night: the beauty of the location, the kindness of the people in the village, the clean ocean air, the magic and cultural significance of the Chumash village, and the act of "light painting" photography, something I love to do.

I illuminated the 'ap, the name for the round, traditional Chumash thatched home, with a ProtoMachine LED2 flashlight, a flashlight that can change different colors with the press of a button and is designed for "light painting" such as this. The home was illuminated during the exposure, and is not a Photoshop creation. I illuminated the interior with a red light to make it look as if people were keeping warm by the flames. You can see stars trailing in the sky, a result of the 402 second long exposure. The camera is facing more or less west.

Ken Lee Photography on Facebook

Ken Lee Photography on Google+

I don't know. I've thought about doing that before, but who knows. Thank you very much for the kind words!

Apologies. I don't think I understand the reference or question, Brettymike! Thanks for the kind words, though.

I look forward to seeing your Macro photos, Rabid. It interests me greatly, although I have yet to capture even one half decent image. I would love to see a pic of your flash diffuser, Mike - or indeed of any of the rest of your macro setup. :)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I mean , are they truly off the grid , and not hounded by the white man? :)

The Chumash village is on state park property, and the actual homes do not have electricity or gas, and I suppose there's enough support that this is he is able to have this cultural center and living village on state park property in that regard. If you wish to know more about some of his viewpoints, past and present, and what he think of the history of interaction, you can read here since this begins veering into what may be construed as political stuff. I'll just have you read this in case you are interested:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/julia-wasson/hidden-gems-mati-waiya-of_1_b_4880984.html

Beautiful 'ap pic, Ken. Were you inside the 'ap throughout the exposure?

Thanks. I was inside the 'ap for part of the exposure, illuminating the interior. And I was also outside, illuminating the 'ap from the outside as well.

Question Ken,

Are shots like this one single exposures or are you compositing multiple shots together? Excellent shot!

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Question Ken,

Are shots like this one single exposures or are you compositing multiple shots together? Excellent shot!

This is a single exposure. Among people who light paint, there's this real drive to get it all in one shot if at all possible. Light painting is a performance of sorts, and so most photos of this nature are usually done in one exposure. With an exposure as long as this, you can walk through the frame without registering, it makes it quite easy and possible to do all sorts of things. So I activated the camera, walked inside the home, illuminated it, walked back out and then to the left, and then illuminated the home from outside. I'll usually do a couple of test shots so I get an idea of the time, position(s), and strength I wish to illuminate, then put it all together in one exposure.

Occasionally, I will composite multiple shots together, but it's usually because some light was mistakenly shone into a corner (passing person or car or a mistake I make by mistakenly activating my flashlight), but that's usually about it. I'll grab a corner from one of my test shots and mask over the mistaken area. I have no problem doing that, but fortunately, that doesn't happen very often.

8492kenlee_borregosprings-2015-03-19-2032-4minf4iso4002940-76mintotal-borregosstartrails-d7000-800pxtall.jpg

Silhouettes of sculptures out in the desert with star trails, the result of a total of 76 minutes exposure. The star trails are a result of the movement of the earth over 76 minutes. I believe the super bright trail in the middle is Jupiter. I chose not to "light paint" (illuminate) the foreground, preferring the starkness for this composition.

This picture was taken in Cambridge. No parking at my gig (city centre with rampant wheel clamping), and a 15 minute walk to the car......but made worthwhile by the view of the river at night! My phone seems to cope with nightlight a lot better than the iPad ever did. :-)

17177918526_2410e5990d_c.jpgPunts on the river Cam by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

I have a lot of photos I haven't shared here but here are two of my most recent favorites of the reptilian variety...

17005178560_d0f7c27116_b.jpgIMG_5587 by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

16995176160_8d396c1b95_b.jpgNorthern Water Snakes by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

Love your silhouette Pic, Ken. Also very much like the idea of the light paining being a "performance". :-)

Thanks. I think it really is like a performance in some respects.

Glad you like the silhouette photo. I've been wanting to take a photo with these two bighorn sheep for a while, but it never quite happened. I may go back and try and get a summer Milky Way shot with the two in silhouette soon.

I really like your turtle photo.

Actually, that's exactly right. I meant to go for 80 minutes (20 exposures, a nice round number), but stopped it prematurely.

I know. I can see the gaps.

Yeah, they're particularly prominent in 3-4 of those trails, which I'm not thrilled about.

Can I ask a question about my river photo above. I have a manual camera app so was able to select ISO. I went for 2000 cause it was the highest number. I was able to balance the phone on the parapet of the bridge.. Do you think this was a poor choice for a nighttime shot in those sorts of conditions?