Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

moxf8

richforman

One disappointment on opening and setting it up is that it uses a specific custom power adapter and not a standard ac cord like all my other keyboards. I will have to buy a couple spares (can I get something that will work at Radio Shack) to have extras and so that I can keep one set up at home for practice and one or more in my accessories bag for gigs.

Anyway what kind of cases are my fellow owners using to transport this around? I was hoping and figuring I would be able to use the same heavy-duty road case I have been carting my S80 in for years, but it doesn't quite fit, the new one is a little bit taller and deeper. Hate the idea of having to spend 200-300 extra now on a new road case, maybe since the M (we need to agree on a standard shorter nickname for this axe!) is a lot lighter I can use a soft case instead, at least for now, can anyone recommend one that fits it, decently priced and is protective enough for driving around? When I've had a handful of flyaway gigs, I have always been able to have keyboards provided for me to my spec at the destination, so far have never had to fly any of my 'boards.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamaha makes a keyboard bag for the MOX8. I am not 100% sure, but I think the MOX and MOXF boards have the same physical dimensions.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MOX8-BAG-Hard-Side/dp/B007SLY230

I don't schlep it around much, but I've been using their bag for my MOX6. It works fine, just for putting the MOX in my car and driving somewhere to play. But I'm not playing out much these days.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

By the way - I have been using some of these soft cases for years, even when I was gigging every weekend. I've always felt a bit more comfortable laying a couple of big towels across the top of the keyboard, for extra padding, and then zipping up the case. The MOX boards don't have many breakable items on the front - it is mostly just buttons - but I still feel better doing this. I have never had any problems using these gig bags, but I have always been personally packing and moving my equipment myself.

On the other hand, I do have an expensive Anvil case for my TI Polar, as it is heavier, more expensive, and has a couple of dozen knobs on the front panel. I have no problem spending $300 on a case for a $2500 instrument.

Michael

I use this one http://www.gatorcases.com/p/111157-472/gkpe-76d-tsa

Saves going to the really long 88 case..AS the MOXf is 1320mm and this is 1302mm you do need to trim a small slice (about 20mm) off the end padding to get it to fit, this is easy though :)

But front to back and interior height are fine, in fact it allows you to also pack in the power supply and a few pedals (wrapped and padded of course).

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

One disappointment on opening and setting it up is that it uses a specific custom power adapter and not a standard ac cord like all my other keyboards.

You buy inexpensive keyboards, you get cost-cutting features.

I will have to buy a couple spares (can I get something that will work at Radio Shack) to have extras and so that I can keep one set up at home for practice and one or more in my accessories bag for gigs.

You need the Yamaha PA-150 power adapter; this should be readily available at any Yamaha dealer, for example the store where you bought your MOXF8. :thu:

Inexpensive keyboards? This one lists for $1999, I didn't think it was exactly bargain basement! And I think all the other keyboards I've ever gotten at any price point (ones cheaper than this) use the standard 3-prong AC cord, so I was just unpleasantly surprised that this one doesn't conform to that standard. Anyway I know obviously I can get extra power supplies from the dealer or from Yamaha, I'm dumb but not that dumb. I was/am just thinking that if I bring one to them to look at, Radio Shack might be able to offer an equivalent one cheaper, going to give that a try before I buy the OEM ones. Thanks guys for the input.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Inexpensive keyboards?

It's a Motif-based workstation keyboard under $2000. Yes, it is inexpensive. "Bargain basement" is your term, not mine.

For point of reference, the Motif XF8 that your MOXF8 is related to/based on lists for around $4000.

Anyway I know obviously I can get extra power supplies from the dealer or from Yamaha, I'm dumb but not that dumb.

Again, your words, not mine, I was doing you a favour and providing you with the specific part number. You're welcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the input.

Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. :wave:

Inexpensive keyboards?

It's a Motif-based workstation keyboard under $2000. Yes, it is inexpensive. "Bargain basement" is your term, not mine.

For point of reference, the Motif XF8 that your MOXF8 is related to/based on lists for around $4000.

Anyway I know obviously I can get extra power supplies from the dealer or from Yamaha, I'm dumb but not that dumb.

Again, your words, not mine, I was doing you a favour and providing you with the specific part number. You're welcome. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the input.

Sorry it wasn't what you were looking for. :wave:

>For point of reference, the Motif XF8 that your MOXF8 is related to/based on lists for around $400

If I may expand on this Sven - to Richforman...it IS the Motif XF sound engine in its entirety - exactly the same. No offence Sven, I just wanted to clarify to him, it is not based on, it is the exactly same.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I remember my original Motif 6 (built like a tank by the way well built) had the 3 prong power connector.

Is it something manufacturers have done away with?

In terms of cases, i am looking at a SKB-4214W for my Krome and Juno Gi. I did look at another SKB for a 76 at GC that was similar.

Although I use a softercase by Roadrunner (porter Xpress) for my PX130 I would probably want something more solid.

Thanks again gentlemen. I'll just add to Sven that while yes the part number could be helpful, I couldn't help but detect a slight bit of snark or condescension in your statement about it and the thumbs-up emoticon you punctuated it with - seemed a little sarcastic. Maybe that wasn't your intention. No biggie either way, no hard feelings or anything. (I guess the specific intention of my original question about the power supply was to ask whether I'm on the right track in thinking that maybe Radio Shack could offer the functional equivalent of the adapter at a less designer price. Guess I'll find out when I stop over there later.)

Rich Forman

Yeah. although a soft case is tempting (was really bummed to discover that, like I said, the hard case I'd been using for my S80 doesn't fit the MOXF8; in my mind I was already all set on this front, so this is an unexpected expense!), I am probably going to bite the bullet and go for a hard case. So much equipment packed together in my car when I travel to gigs, just wouldn't feel safe with just a soft case, as Dana Carvey used to say, "wouldn't be prudent."

Rich Forman

You may well find a lower priced generic power supply, that has the same voltage, amperage, connection, and polarity.

However, the power supply may not provide said voltage under load as well as the original supply. I've been an electronic tech for 50 years - a lot of the generic supplies, especially lower price, are not well regulated at all (meaning that the voltage is higher than nominal with no load, then drops considerably when loaded, sometimes being lower than nominal.

I'm not saying definitely that this is so in this case, but it IS a possibility.

Manufacturers use these types of supplies because most countries have specific testing requirements for electronic equipment (Underwriters Lab in the US, other places in other countries). Having an internal power supply means that the manufacturer has to provide one or more of the particular devices to EACH country's method of rating - which is somewhat costly.

In general, the external power supplies are made by any of several eastern companies that provide said supply already certified to the different countries. This is also very common in computer power supplies for notebooks - meaning that several different companies may have different part numbers, but the same supply.

I personally would rather pony up a bit extra to be sure that the spare supplies would be more likely to properly power the MOXF8, neither providing overvoltage that might cause damage, nor undervoltage that might cause improper operation.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the input MBK, that is pretty much the information I was looking for. I'll stock up on a few extra PA-150's.

Rich Forman

I'll just add to Sven that while yes the part number could be helpful, I couldn't help but detect a slight bit of snark or condescension in your statement about it and the thumbs-up emoticon you punctuated it with - seemed a little sarcastic. Maybe that wasn't your intention.

Nope, not at all. MBK has elaborated as to why I was giving you the advice I gave, so it's all good.

Enjoy the new board! :)

I remember my original Motif 6 (built like a tank by the way well built) had the 3 prong power connector.

Is it something manufacturers have done away with?

With the cheaper, more lightweight models, such as the MOX, MX, and even my Roland Jupiter-50, manufacturers are definitely going with the cheap wall-wart external power supplies. My guess is that this is not the case with heavier, more expensive models, such as the Motif XF and Korg Kronos.

Michael

Using an external transformer power supply means that a device doesn't have to go through the full UL testing, as the adapter itself has already done so. This speeds up time to market, and reduces costs.

So, again, inexpensive consumer electronics devices will often use shortcuts like this to reduce the price to the consumer. :)

If I may expand on this Sven - to Richforman...it IS the Motif XF sound engine in its entirety - exactly the same. No offence Sven, I just wanted to clarify to him, it is not based on, it is the exactly same.

I very deliberately chose my words that you quoted above, because if I had said "it is a Motif XF" the response may have been "well why don't they just use the same parts" or some such thing.

I chose to try and avoid that. ;)

However, the power supply may not provide said voltage under load as well as the original supply. I've been an electronic tech for 50 years - a lot of the generic supplies, especially lower price, are not well regulated at all (meaning that the voltage is higher than nominal with no load, then drops considerably when loaded, sometimes being lower than nominal.

The PSU Yamaha supplies with MOX is unregulated. In fact it outputs about 17 volts with no load (rated at 12 volts).

Anyway, I really don't mind the wall-wart. Why is this a problem? You can easily get spares, they are compact (actually take up no more space than a 3-prong cable) , easily disposable (while fixing internal PSU is a costly adventure) and if you travel abroad you can easily get a proper one for that country.

Also, Yamaha uses a standard voltage/connector PSU so it's not like it's proprietary and hard to replace.

(I have a Korg with a wallwart and for some reason they use a nonstandard plug and voltage/amperage, so it's a btch to replace)

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

With regards to the external power supply I'll add that I have found Yamaha keyboards to be quite reliable, with the exception of their internal power supplies. I have had power supply failures in a CP300 and an S90ES.

It is a lot easier to switch to a backup wall-wart than to have an internal power supply replaced.

I very deliberately chose my words that you quoted above, because if I had said "it is a Motif XF" the response may have been "well why don't they just use the same parts" or some such thing.

I chose to try and avoid that. ;)

I agree with Sven, "based on" is the better description. The definition of "engine" may be a bit nebulous, but the MOXF is not simply a more economical Motif XF, there are some real internal processing differences besides the obvious physical ones (screen, action, sliders, aftertouch, ribbon, additional connectors, etc.). For example, the Motif XF can read Motif XS data files, the MOXF cannot. You also (disappointingly) can't take a loaded flash card out of an XF and put it in a MOXF... it has to be reformatted, and all the sample data reloaded, apparently there is some difference in how the data on the card needs to be set up and accessed. The Motif XF also supports 8 zones in a Master, the MOXF only supports 4.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You note I only said "sound engine" and made no other references to it being the same.

I made no reference to any of those operations you quoted.

I stand by the comment it IS the same sound engine, ie it has the same list of sounds and all patches and performances (a selected number of performances due to bank restrictions only) from the Motif XF can be used on the MOXF.

I have done it as I used the Melas Librarian to make up my own "mix" a combination of the Motif XF and MOXF data.

Besides the relative flimsiness of the cords and the extra real estate it takes up on the outlet, the bumming thing about these power supplies is that they don't partake in the standardization and interchangeability of the the ones my other keyboards and my amp use. I bought two spares from Ebay so that should keep me in business, one permanently set up in my practice room at home and two in my accessories bag.

Rich Forman

Archived