Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha actions: CP1, CP4, P35, CP33

kelp

A couple weeks back I came across a CP1 at a local music store. I was blown away by the action. And that just cranked up my CP4 GAS. [the cost and size of the CP1 are dealbreakers for me]

I played several other boards there -- Casios, Korgs and Yamahas. The one that really felt right to me was the P35! But I didn't like the CP33.

There's no way I'm really going to know until I get my hands on one, but what would you compare the CP4's action to? [hint: I *want* you to say the CP1!]

At least one local store is showing them arriving on 12/13.

Roland Fantom 06; Yamaha P-125; QSC K10; Cubase 13 Pro; Windows 10

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one that really felt right to me was the P35!

:freak::confused: Ummm... what?

There's no way I'm really going to know until I get my hands on one, but what would you compare the CP4's action to? [hint: I *want* you to say the CP1!]

It's a lot more similar to the CP1 than the P35... but where the CP1 was a balanced action, the CP4 is graded. The P35 has the same action as the now-discontinued P95... plastic keys, springs... whereas the CP4 has real wood keys. Light years apart, frankly. :)

If you're after the feel, the CP5 has the same action as the CP1, a few less gizmos.

I have one (selling it) -- wonderful piano feel especially if you're used to Yamaha grands, uprights, etc. -- but a massive beast to haul around to gigs.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Have never played the CP1, have played the CP5, own the CP4.

CP5 action (as i remember it) seemed a bit lighter, faster and a shorter "throw" or depth or whatever you call it. CP4 is a tad weightier action.

Both seem to me to be squarely within the realm of similarity to very good acoustic pianos I've played (which of course vary wildly).

Given your stated preference for the P35, I hesitate to make any kind of blanket statement about my preferences being in any way indicative of what you'd like. You're going to have to play the CP4 for yourself to see if it's one man's treasure

I will say this - given my liking of the CP4, playing the Kronos from the Yammie's action is just sweet sweet sweet.

Btw, those are not wooden keys. They are plastic keys with wooden fill. I opened my CP5 after my kid broke one key (actually, it was bot broken, an easy fix) and to my surprise I found out that the key itself is made out of plastic and filled with wood. It may have been made out of any material, wood is there just for aestheric reasons.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Btw, those are not wooden keys. They are plastic keys with wooden fill. I opened my CP5 after my kid broke one key (actually, it was bot broken, an easy fix) and to my surprise I found out that the key itself is made out of plastic and filled with wood. It may have been made out of any material, wood is there just for aestheric reasons.

Actually, the impression that those keys are mostly plastic seems to be an illusion. See

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2143285/12/Possible%20Yamaha%20CP4%20in%20the%20fut.html

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived