Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Sequencing on iPad Using Synth Apps

Michael W

With GarageBand and Audiobus I can add external synths (Sunrizer, iMini, etc.) to my songs, but those tracks are recorded as audio.

What I'd really like is an iPad sequencing app that works with iPad synths like how VSTs work in the PC/DAW world. Keep all the iMini and Sunrizer tracks in MIDI, where they can be edited and quantized, until I want to freeze or bounce those tracks to audio.

Is this possible yet in the iPad world, to treat these instruments like softsynths running inside a DAW? Am I missing something in GarageBand, or is there another similar iPad DAW that does this?

Thanks for any info.

Michael

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael, I've got Cubasis and it seems to do all that and more. Check out some YouTube videos and see if you think it'll do the trick.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Thanks for the recommendations. It can be a bit confusing, browsing through all the apps, to see which ones can work with external instruments and which ones are self-contained "studios" with their own sounds. Reading user reviews can be helpful, but it's tough to know if complainers are raising viable complaints, or are simply uninformed, with weak product knowledge.

Genome seems like a clever app, particularly for those who like to work in a pattern-based process. That's not me... I am used to working in Digital Performer's linear world.

Cubasis is definitely a full-featured product. It's also cool that they have a forum where Cubasis staff participate. It's useful to know that while a system limitation currently doesn't allow multiple instances of a synth app to run, Cubasis has a track "freeze" option, effectively allowing users to create multiple tracks with sounds from the same instrument.

It's also interesting (and a bit disappointing) to learn that apparently not all synth apps are capable of working with a virtual MIDI connection.

Anyhow, Cubasis seems cool, but at $49.99 it is certainly more expensive than other, similar apps.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Michael, if I understand your question correctly, you may want to check out the following video:

This is a review of the iConnectMIDI2+

Certainly, the reviewers are worked up. Right around 9:00, I believe they're demonstrating that it is possible to treat iPad apps as VST devices within Ableton (or any DAW), and record both direct digital audio as well as MIDI simultaneously.

Thanks for the recommendations. It can be a bit confusing, browsing through all the apps, to see which ones can work with external instruments and which ones are self-contained "studios" with their own sounds. Reading user reviews can be helpful, but it's tough to know if complainers are raising viable complaints, or are simply uninformed, with weak product knowledge.

Genome seems like a clever app, particularly for those who like to work in a pattern-based process. That's not me... I am used to working in Digital Performer's linear world.

Cubasis is definitely a full-featured product. It's also cool that they have a forum where Cubasis staff participate. It's useful to know that while a system limitation currently doesn't allow multiple instances of a synth app to run, Cubasis has a track "freeze" option, effectively allowing users to create multiple tracks with sounds from the same instrument.

It's also interesting (and a bit disappointing) to learn that apparently not all synth apps are capable of working with a virtual MIDI connection.

Anyhow, Cubasis seems cool, but at $49.99 it is certainly more expensive than other, similar apps.

Yeah, at $50 it's not an "impulse" purchase like most apps are. I got lucky and caught it on sale for about $33 a few months back. I was already looking seriously at Auria, but being a Cubase user anyway tilted me towards Cubasis real easy. I like the forums too by the way. Pretty active too.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I'm using Symphonix Evolution Pro. MIDI implementation is pretty robust, and the developer has always replied to my questions/bug reports within 24 hrs. I also like that I can see all the parts in standard notation, yet also be able to attach MIDI events to notes such as Continuous Controller, Pitch Bend, Note Aftertouch, Channel Aftertouch, etc. Here's the online manual to give you some some idea of the feature set.

http://www.vinclaro.com.au/ios/symphonix/webhelp/default.html

Archived