Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why don't they make more solid bodies with rosewood?

CouchBed

I'm curious as to why they don't make more solid body electrics out of rosewood. There are plenty out there made out of Mahogany, but I've never seen a rosewood electric. Is it because of cost or something? It would seem not, since they put rosewood on the fretboards of almost every cheap guitar out there.

I have a Yamaha AC3R and I love it. Just right for me. It has a rosewood back and sides, and it has a great, warm tone. Yamaha also makes the AC3M, with Mahogany back and sides. I tried that guitar the same day that I tried the AC3R, and it's seriously like night and day. The rosewood is warm and sweet, and the mahogany sounds harsh and brash.

Why don't they make more electrics with rosewood? What do you think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a PIA. Too many restrictions and protections but there is good reasons for that.

Builders have done Rosewood Teles. They are heavy they are bright and they are expensive.

I think Fender did one a longtime ago and Goerge Harrison played one.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It is a PIA. Too many restrictions and protections but there is good reasons for that.

Builders have done Rosewood Teles. They are heavy they are bright and they are expensive.

I think Fender did one a longtime ago and Goerge Harrison played one.

Solid rosewood makes for a pretty heavy instrument. It's very dense. That's what marimba & xylophone bars are made of.

For about $7000 you can get the Fender rosewood George Harrison tribute model Tele.

Scott Fraser

Yhup. What everyone said above. Other woods- for solid-body electric guitars- are usually lighter, warmer sounding, and less costly and problematic to work with. The same sonic qualities that make good rosewood a good wood for a fretboard or an acoustic guitar body's back and sides make it less so fro a full-on solid-body electric.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Pursuant to my recent sighting of a walnut-body Strat-a few years ago Fender Japan had an earlier version, which I couldn`t deal with playing wise. That same run included a rosewood body Tele, which looked gorgeous. I am not a Tele fan for myself so I didn`t try it, but it disappeared along with the Strat, never to be seen again. Neither of them were over $1,000.

Here ya go:

http://davesguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/18685_346098.jpg

Here`s one from Music Land, not sure where that shop is.

Just about exactly $1,000:

http://www.musicland.co.jp/shop/itemdetail/store/49371/51745/

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

@ Skip, There are ash bodies stained to look like rosewood, rosewood applied tops on mahogany bodies for sale on ebay along with blanks of solid rosewood should one desire to make their own. In your second example for instance, it is not solid rosewood but a sandwiched rosewood/basswood/rosewood guitar. Not saying the Fender version of Georges' guitar is not solid as shown in your 1st example. If it is solid rosewood, it would be well worth having in a Tele collection...When listening to solid rosewood Tele demos on youtube, they sounded a bit dark...but cool
:cool:
Take care, Larryz

@ Skip, There are ash bodies stained to look like rosewood, rosewood applied tops on mahogany bodies for sale on ebay along with blanks of solid rosewood should one desire to make their own. In your second example for instance, it is not solid rosewood but a sandwiched rosewood/basswood/rosewood guitar. Not saying the Fender version of Georges' guitar is not solid as shown in your 1st example. If it is solid rosewood, it would be well worth having in a Tele collection...When listening to solid rosewood Tele demos on youtube, they sounded a bit dark...but cool
:cool:

My mistake, I wanted to find an example that was still on the shelves to confirm the price. I`ll see what else I can find, thanks for the correction.

I mean, both the examples I posted were under the search title `Fender Japan rosewood tele` so neither of them is going to be $7,000-but, ya know, just to make sure.

I don't think you made any mistake Skip, the first example probably did sell for $1,000 or less and probably was solid rosewood. I searched youtube for examples so we could hear one, and then posted the link. I don't know why Fender stopped making the off the rack model, but for some reason (to include the hassle and cost of importing rosewood) they didn't catch on. They are probably collectors now and would be worth buying under a grand...The $7,000 Custom Shop re-issue can probably still be ordered, but I have no reason to spend that much money on one... :thu:

Ps. I think rosewood might be used more in the future as a top wood for looks, much the same a flamed maple. It would be interesting to know if you find solid or sandwiched in Japan and if they are still being made and the cost in US dollars?

Take care, Larryz

I haven`t seen any of either since they were current and as I have mentioned, when they rotate stock in Japan it rotates off the face of the earth. I mean, I couldn`t play the Strats anyway and haven`t been on the lookout for the Teles but I don`t think I would find any on the shelves.

Anyway decision time is upon me about that Strat-I could wait to see if it`s still around during the new year discounts, pay a deposit now and make sure it doesn`t disappear, or let it pass.

If that baby wows you and there's a chance you won't get a second chance, I would pull the trigger. When you get a guitar in your hands and you know it's the right one, don't let go of it. If you're not sure, then I would pass...good luck whichever way you go!
Take care, Larryz

All the best rosewood is endangered, protected, and currently illegal to harvest. The term rosewood unfortunately encompasses many different species and subspecies. Most of it is fine as body and even neck material, but only the very hardest and densest makes good fingerboards. Chances are ya won't know what you're getting unless ya got a really good "in" with the builder/supplier, which is why I'd never purchase any guitar(investment-grade pieces notwithstanding) with a rosewood board. There's way too much soft, spongy crap going on affordable instruments today.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

The Godin in DannyA's link is very pretty. I would like to see the grain run the other way as it might look similar to a flamed maple top. I think as a top wood sliced thin on solid bodies or as a wood for semi-solid and archtops it would be cool. I only have two guitars with rosewood fretboards and they are OK, but I still prefer ebony for fretboards...
Take care, Larryz

which is why I'd never purchase any guitar(investment-grade pieces notwithstanding) with a rosewood board. There's way too much soft, spongy crap going on affordable instruments today.

Wow, that lets out a lot of guitars. All but 2 (maple on my 56 Strat & graphite on a cheap Steinberger clone,) of my 25 or so guitars have rosewood fingerboards. That's 4 Gretsches, 2 PRS's, 4 or 5 Epiphones, a couple Taylors, couple Godins. I mean, what's left?

Scott Fraser

Archived