Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ES335 Studio

Bluesape

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Missing a bunch of things, IMO.

And as always, a demo displaying a distorted sound is essentially useless in determining anything at all about the sound of an instrument. Does this new Gibson sound so bad because it's going through a crappy distortion pedal? I don't know, can't tell, but that's not a way to sell guitars to me.

Scott Fraser

I like the body... sleek... I'm very much not into black hardware... I'd prefer 2 pickups, but with a Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting ring you could get 4 different settings/tone out of that one humbucker, so it could be fun in an Esquire kind of way...

This is aimed at the punk pop kids who want to sound like green Day and Blink 182 and will only crunch away on the back pickup through an overdriven amp (plus a distortion pedal, too, from what I usually see...) and meets them halfway on the price point. Probably a good move on Gibson's part, market-wise.

I guess the choice is having one pickup at the neck or having one pickup at the bridge. For the distorted rockers the vote goes for the bridge and for the clean jazzers the vote goes for the neck. +1 on having two pickups...cool looking guitar though!
Take care, Larryz

Idunno, one single solitary pickup works fine for LP Juniors, Esquires, ES-165's and Wes Montgomery-esque L-5's... Having one pickup can be and is fine!

:rawk::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Idunno, I think you'd find Wes Montgomery playing the L-5 or the ES 165 with neck pickups and the rockabilly boys like James Burton playing the LP Jr. or the Tele Twanging Esquire with the bridge pickups...either one of these guys can make any 1 pickup guitar sound good, but I think they would most likely prefer the one that fit their style, if given the choice... :cool:;)
Take care, Larryz

One pickup may be fine for other players.

I think it would only do for 2/3rds of my stuff. I use the front pickup every day in my practice routine, not as much as the rear however. I could probably find a sweet spot using the volume and tone controls but I would prefer having 2 pups at least, maybe three for that split coils sound front/middle and rear/middle.

Still that guitar is a very nice looking instrument. It could be modded to taste of course.

Idunno, one single solitary pickup works fine for LP Juniors, Esquires, ES-165's and Wes Montgomery-esque L-5's... Having one pickup can be and is fine!

:rawk::cool:

Yeah, I agree. One pickup is absolutely fine. However, I would want that one p/u in the neck position. As Larry observed, it's probably dependent on the music being played as well as personal taste.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Some of my archtops have 1 pickup, in the neck position. If I were buying a 335 style guitar, however, I would absolutely want 2, possibly 3. Since this Gibson is not oriented to the market that would be buying an L5, or an ES165, I think it's missing a pickup. It's also missing f holes. I know Höfner & Gretsch get good mileage out of the no-f-hole approach, but this is a 335, not a Club or a Tennessean. Anyway, Gibson will no doubt sell some of these to their intended market. But that won't be me.

Scott Fraser

Try to remember that it's a real Gibson, US built, at a very attractive price point. I could'a swore the one I saw had a stop tailpiece, not the trapeze. I didn't have the time to wring it out, just liked what I saw. The single bridge pup certainly rules it out for some stuff, but I bet it's great for crunchy, gainy leads. I have the same pup in my LP, so I'm not overly worried about the cleans on it. I certainly wouldn't rely on it through an entire gig, but its one trick pony aspect has its appeal, and I'd have no problem taking it along to a gig with my Strat, or Tele, or Freeway, or Blade...as a backup.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Try to remember that it's a real Gibson, US built, at a very attractive price point.

Speaking of a real Gibson at an attractive price point, they could have had a real winner, IMO, with the new Byrdland-based Midtown Kalamazoo, except they've limited it to a run of only 300 instruments for North America. Too bad.

Scott Fraser

Try to remember that it's a real Gibson, US built, at a very attractive price point. I could'a swore the one I saw had a stop tailpiece, not the trapeze. I didn't have the time to wring it out, just liked what I saw. The single bridge pup certainly rules it out for some stuff, but I bet it's great for crunchy, gainy leads. I have the same pup in my LP, so I'm not overly worried about the cleans on it. I certainly wouldn't rely on it through an entire gig, but its one trick pony aspect has its appeal, and I'd have no problem taking it along to a gig with my Strat, or Tele, or Freeway, or Blade...as a backup.

I'm sure it's great for Rock and Blues! Single/bridge-pickup Gibsons have been serious Rock machines and part of the Classic Rock Cannon for what, well over half a century by now... ?

The only thing I really don't care for is the cover near the neck/body joint. I suppose that whatever construction approach that leaves something in need of hiding there brings the cost down, but... it's kinda fugly having that there.

Bluesape, is this the one you're thinking of?

335 Studio @ GC

Because I also see this -

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/2-25-13/17107_ES_335_Studio_MB_10373722_a.jpg

Seems like there are, or were, two models.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I think Esquires look awesome, but I always think if I was going to spend decent money on a Tele style I may as well have both pickups. I'd use them.

Same with single pickup LP Jnrs.

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

I think Esquires look awesome, but I always think if I was going to spend decent money on a Tele style I may as well have both pickups. I'd use them.

Overall, I prefer two- or three!- pickups, but there's something to be said for Juniors, Esquires, and axes of their ilk.

They really do excel at rockin', raucous, high-energy styles because there's no longer a neck-pickup pulling on the strings with its magnets. It really DOES make a difference! Brad Paisley thinks so!

Overall, I prefer two- or three!- pickups, but there's something to be said for Juniors, Esquires, and axes of their ilk.

They really do excel at rockin', raucous, high-energy styles because there's no longer a neck-pickup pulling on the strings with its magnets. It really DOES make a difference! Brad Paisley thinks so!

Yeah, I've heard that theory. Maybe when I'm a rock star I'll get an Esquire AND a Tele :)

Guitar Speak Podcast

www.guitarspeakpodcast.libsyn.com

https://www.facebook.com/guitarspeakpodcast

www.itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guitar-speak-podcast

Yeah, I've heard that theory. Maybe when I'm a rock star I'll get an Esquire AND a Tele :)

:D:thu::rawk:

I hear ya! I know whatcha mean, too. :wave:

It is in our favor that there are occasionally some cool single-pickup models put out by the likes of the budget-lines PRS, Fender/Squier, and Gibson. I was sorely tempted by that PRS SE One that came out a few years ago... ! What a Rock & Roll machine!

I love the sound of the old one pickup Les Paul Jr. (I think the old Melody Makers had one pickup too). They are very sweet sounding and playing guitars. But, if I ordered one today, I would go with the two pickups as I love using the neck pickup by itself. You'll see a lot of Strat players on the neck position like Clapton and others when they do the close up shots...
Take care, Larryz

I'll say again that I don't feel it would be suitable as an "only" guitar, but having lotsa axes, I could prolly make it work as a "high gain moment" piece. I don't need one either, but most of my HB soloing is on the bridge. My 175 has only the neck pup, and it rarely goes out on gigs anymore. I bet a lone P-90 might have more appeal for myself than this model does, but I'd take it over any Epi, just cuz it's US built and has the maple board, but that's just me.....

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I'll say again that I don't feel it would be suitable as an "only" guitar, but having lotsa axes, I could prolly make it work as a "high gain moment" piece. I don't need one either, but most of my HB soloing is on the bridge. My 175 has only the neck pup, and it rarely goes out on gigs anymore. I bet a lone P-90 might have more appeal for myself than this model does, but I'd take it over any Epi, just cuz it's US built and has the maple board, but that's just me.....

Oh- it's got a maple fretboard? I thought it was rosewood... ? That "chocolate-maple" again? I guess maybe I'm fallin' behind on these things... D'oh! :crazy::D

<--- they make them in both trapeze and stop tail piece...I also really like the thin body Gibson ES 195 prototype with the bigsby in this video!
Take care, Larryz

Also, if you've ever played an Esquire... it has the 3 position tele switch, and the circuitry makes it sound as if you are using the normal Tele 3 way settings with 2 pickups.

ETA - well, an approximation, with a bassier sounding tone where the neck position on the switch would be...

Archived