Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions for Stage Clothes / Shirts

podmed

I know I am setting this post up for total chaos, but I'm looking for some really cool shirts to wear while gigging. We play upscale trendy clubs - and I'm looking for button down collared shirts that have alot of stage personality without looking like a clown. Any websites besides eBay?

Let the craziness begin!

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Robert Palmer's got it right...

Or maybe I just wanted a reason to post this video. :love:

OH MAN.. I forgot about the hairy arms in the guitar solo. :facepalm::taz:

[video:youtube]UrGw_cOgwa8

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Wearing anything that resembles a red fox is very "In" at the moment, so I hear..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Guess it depends how old you are and what kind of music you're playing. Personally, I go for silk dress shirts and linen or linen blend trousers. They're cooler to wear under stage lights, and always look good when you're up close and personal with the audience. I buy the designer names and usually wait until they're on sale. A classic collared silk shirt rarely goes out of style. When I played with one particular artist the band was "dressed" by a stylist. I was given a pair of linen drawstring baggy pants that were so comfortable I had a seamstress make me three more pairs. The shirt went un-tucked with those. Another artist I played with wore nothing but suits and shopped at traditional men's stores, but again, bought silk dress shirts and light wool suits.

As the Robert Palmer video suggests, classic style never goes out of fashion.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Wearing anything that resembles a red fox is very "In" at the moment, so I hear..

That's been done before though...

http://ilikethingsthataregreat.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/genesis_petergabriel_foxtrot_paris_januar1973.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

. . . .. Nor does Iggy Pops classic dress ever go out of style :D.

Brett

thread derail alert. I was lucky enough to see The Stooges 20 years ago (already past their prime). One of the best MF rock and roll bands I've ever seen, and I've seen many over the decades. Carry on.

:nopity:

As I'm still stuck at work and feeling like a killjoy...

...to the OP - a serious response: personal style is just that - personal. I think I developed my own style over time - from talking to and observing older cats and how they carried themselves - in the board room, on the stage, in rehearsals, in talking to ladies, venue owners, everything. Reading stories of how Wayne and Herbie would talk about the life advice Miles gave them early on, that kind of stuff too.

Button downs with personality...I'm not sure what that means. I think I have an idea, but I'm sure my idea is different than yours.

More importantly, my attire reflects my personality, no matter the band, no matter the genre of music. I'm too old to dress like a 20 year old, and I have too much swagger to stoop to dressing like a clown.

I have no idea if this helps you at all - just my 0.02 on stage appearance as I recently had a conversation about this with a young sax player I'm mentoring.

I was just in Memphis recently, and the Lansky clothing store at the Peabody Hotel (made famous by being clothier/tailor to Elvis Presley way back in the day) had some very cool shirts that fit what you're describing and would work well on stage. They have an online presence (www.lanskybros.com), although I haven't spent much time going through the website.

And if that doesn't work, ask Eric.

I've been known to wear Tommy Bahama silk shirts much of the time. They're expensive, but last forever, don't wrinkle, and are very comfortable. I've got a few in different colors - I just wear the plain ones, not the "Hawaiian style" shirts with loud prints.

http://www.zappos.com/tommy-bahama-catalina-twill-camp-shirt-black

http://www.zappos.com/tommy-bahama-tiki-palms-camp-shirt-clematis

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

More importantly, my attire reflects my personality, no matter the band, no matter the genre of music. I'm too old to dress like a 20 year old, and I have too much swagger to stoop to dressing like a clown.

+1

This question has come up often for me. I'm always looking for the perfect "Band Shirt".

A couple of guidelines (for me):

Black pants & shoes are good. A black shirt is a good default.

Wear something you probably wouldn't wear on the street every day.

Dress as well as, or preferrably better than your audience.

Don't wear shorts. (There may be exceptions... I just can't think of one.) :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Depends on where you're playing. I always try to dress up a bit for the gig, but when you're playing at dive bars, jeans, comfy shoes/sneakers, and a funky shirt always fit the bill.

Something that won't bind my arms/wrists generally. Also depends on the season.

I've also been going towards Pumas for shoes/sneaks for gigs because they're usually very light and east to heel-toe the sustain pedal.

I also favor a flat cap when playing out.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I'm I the only one to notice that was Booker T and the MG's backing up Joe Walsh?

Sorry, not out to derail this thread or these threads.

I too have worn Tommy Bahama shirts. But working with younger guys they call them old men shirts.... So we do black and white saddle oxford shoes, blue jeans dress shirts (each person different color) and black vest.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Damn! You're right, except it's the new drummer. Al Jackson Jr. was shot dead in the mid-seventies.

I wish I had cool hair like Duck did. Then I could rock white sneakers too! :)

BTW, check out Booker during the drum solo. I would have never thought to do that.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The next big thing: A reappearance of jeweled codpieces, this time with LEDs that turn them into seizure-inducing mirror balls. Its the next obvious contrivance to beat after Miley.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

The next big thing: A reappearance of jeweled codpieces, this time with LEDs that turn them into seizure-inducing mirror balls. Its the next obvious contrivance to beat after Miley.

Cue the inevitable Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction.

I'm late to the thread, having been called out at least three times. Busy week.

Yes, I'm known as a funky shirt guy and I've collected a variety of somewhat cool gig shirts over the years. I have no formula or steady brand/shop that I use. I go to department stores and look on sales racks. Many of my coolest shirts were too loud for the average consumer, so I've scored $100 high end fashion brand shirts on deep discount for like $11.37. Seriously.

I've also found great clothes at places like Rugged Warehouse that sells factory seconds or slightly damaged items. Another place I've found more recently is a local "country and western" type store that sells saddles, Carhartt, boots, etc. that would not overtly be up my alley...however, they have some really cool shirts.

Archived