Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Delay Pedal For Rhodes

Ross Ward

I'd like to get a delay pedal for my Mark I 88 Suitcase. Do any of you with vintage Rhodes/Wurli's have any delay pedals that you like? I love the sound of analog, but I'm afraid I need something with tap tempo functionality. It doesn't need to be stereo, since I'll only be using it with the Rhodes. My other boards have effects built in.

I tried doing a forum search, but most threads I found were a few years old, and we all know how much the market can change in regards to what products are out there.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you sure you need tap tempo?

I bought a Danelectro Fab 600 millisecond delay, it was $25.07 including shipping.

I know it's not analog, but all of my keyboards are analog, and they sound fine through it.

I'm not positive...but my band plays to a click, and I figured that the tap tempo would be easier than trying to line it up manually.

It's got stereo in/out, which has come in handy, not necessarily for running a single board in stereo, but for being able to run two separate lines through it simultaneously.

that's a good idea, 2 different parts on 2 different keys would be synced up perfectly.

The Line 6 DL4 is an old faithful, with tap tempo. Rhodes sounds fantastic through it. I've used it for years on a bunch of keyboards.

The Eventide TimeFactor has MIDI and USB connectivity, so you could possibly take a feed from the click and sync it to the pedal.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I use delay a lot with my rhodes and I have a few favorites.

If you really need tap tempo, the t-rex replica is a great option.

I personally like the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay and the Skreddy Echo. Neither has tap tempo, but they are voiced so that the timing of the delays is not critical - the delays blend in with the music. (They are both based on tap delays.) IMO they don't need a tap tempo control at all. They can also get some nice self-oscillation effects.

The Moog delay has tap tempo and sounds fantastic, but it's also pretty expensive.

Another good one is the TC Nova Delay. It has tap tempo and is in the family of the 2290. I had one when they first came out and found I didn't need the additional features it offers, but it sounds nice.

I'm not positive...but my band plays to a click, and I figured that the tap tempo would be easier than trying to line it up manually.

IMO tap tempo is really more important with a very clean-sounding digital delay. If the repeats are very clear and hi-fi sounding, then it may indeed sound off to have them out of sync.

But tape and analog delays (or digital ones modeled on those sounds) generally attenuate the delays, usually progressively rolling off some high end with each repeat.

That's why IMO the timing on them is not quite as important. You hear the echo and it provides the ambiance you'd expect, but because of the high end attenuation it doesn't jump out at you in terms of the exact timing.

FWIW, if you're using a click track, both the moog and the T-Rex have midi inputs for controlling the delay tempo (both also have tap tempo switches).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/danelectro-de-1-dan-echo-guitar-pedal?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLCe75zQy7oCFSU6Qgod3DEAgA&kwid=productads-plaid^57301170427-sku^151855000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30423718467

these used to be cheap, at least when I bought one in 1998, regardless, it has a fantastic one of a kind sound to my ears...I used it on most of my Rhodes stuff in the past

I use the MXR Carbon Copy for guitar, it's a good pedal but I like the 'air' in the Danelectro pedal better

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/danelectro-de-1-dan-echo-guitar-pedal?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLCe75zQy7oCFSU6Qgod3DEAgA&kwid=productads-plaid^57301170427-sku^151855000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30423718467

these used to be cheap, at least when I bought one in 1998, regardless, it has a fantastic one of a kind sound to my ears...I used it on most of my Rhodes stuff in the past

I use the MXR Carbon Copy for guitar, it's a good pedal but I like the 'air' in the Danelectro pedal better

I really like the Dan Echo also. I have tried it on my Rhodes, but I'm personally not fond of delay on it. I use it with my Minimoog Voyager though and that is an awsome combination!

:nopity:

Archived