Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Regarding 1/4" Outputs to PA...

podmed

Besides playing keys, I occasionally cover 2nd guitar parts. I recently bought a Line 6 PodHD unit that has UNBALANCED 1/4" outs. When I used an amp, I miked it and ran it to the snake XLR input. Do I need a DI box to go from Unbalanced 1/4 to Balanced XLR out? Thanks!
Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, a DI would be a perfect solution to connect the Pod directly to the snake.

"Think Pink Floyd are whiny old men? No Problem. Turn em off and enjoy the Miley Cyrus remix featuring Pitbull." - Cygnus64

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

What would you use for monitor? I'd hate to rely on house monitors for a guitar modeler.

Like you, I play keys, and 2nd on guitar for a handful of songs. I use a Genesis3 modeler, and use my keyboard rig to monitor it, sending it to FOH with my keyboards submix. That's what I'd recommend for local-circuit type gigs.

For the higher level, where you have your own sound guy for every gig, and your people are in complete control of the setup (i.e., cases where you'd send every keyboard directly to the PA/monitor), then yeah, use a DI box (just as you would with a keyboard send to FOH).

I too play both. I currently use a Line 6 wireless to an HD Pro rack into a directly into a power amp via 1/4 jacks and into two passive 12" two way speakers. My keys go into the line in on the rack and the rack has XLR outs to FOH. I'm very happy with the results, though I have been thinking about using a Samson line mixer for more flexibility. I currently have to run my VR09 into the SV1 line in.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I use the Gen3's line inputs, fed from my NE2, for rehearsal. Currently neither of my keyboards has an audio in, but the one's I'm eyeing to replace the bottom board do, so I could go NE2 -> Gen3 -> new DP, and wouldn't need a mixer.

But since I'm using a powered (Yamaha EMX5000) mixer (which oddly, doesn't suck -- unlike most powered mixers), that wouldn't save me any parts unless I replaced my JBL wedges with powered monitors. I like being able to put a speaker anywhere and only worry about getting one speaker cable to it.

The main downside to daisy chaining is that it makes the master volume on each unit affect more stuff. At least, the volume on the Gen3 affects the "CD in" jack. Might not be the case for MOX8 and PX-5S, the main contenders for new keyboard.

Regardless, audio input jacks are incredibly useful, and I've often wished my other keyboards had them.

Archived