Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody from the USA ever buy from Thomann

CEB

Anybody from US order from Thomann? Were there any taxes or fees since it came from Europe?

How long did it take?

Thanks

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took about two weeks to New York. Thomann's shipping was reasonable (I think it was 30 euros for any size order), and there were no other fees, other than a currency conversion fee from the credit card company. But import duties are funny things. Just because one box arrives with no customs due, I would not necessarily take that as a guarantee that no additional fee will ever be assessed on any other shipment. IOW, if your box ends up with a customs fee for some reason, don't blame me. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Note:

Some manufacturers do not honor warranties on products purchased across international borders.

Other manufacturers who do insist that the product be submitted through the dealer who sold it, requiring the product to be returned to the country of origin.

At the end of the day, is Thomann selling whatever it is you're looking at that much cheaper than in the US/giving you a price that no US dealer will match?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Good points Dave. For those in the US I would see if a dealer would "price match". In my case being in Canada I was going to have to import no matter what. Lack of availability here, customs, taxes, courier, prices, made it quite viable for me to buy from Thomann. I was not too concerned about warranty with the two stands I bought from them.

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

I used Thomann for a device that was unavailable in the U.S.

Though also, getting back to the OP, he mentioned in another thread that he's looking for a particular keyboard stand, and requiring warranty service on a stand is pretty unlikely!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have heard that the warranties on goods sold through Thomann do not even apply in the UK, never mind the USA/Canada.

MInd you, maybe the salesman who told me this was just looking for an excuse not to price match, I really don't know!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

At the end of the day, is Thomann selling whatever it is you're looking at that much cheaper than in the US/giving you a price that no US dealer will match?

That would be my first question for sure.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

getting back to the OP, he mentioned in another thread that he's looking for a particular keyboard stand, and requiring warranty service on a stand is pretty unlikely!

Depending on the stand, I would think the size and weight would make it preventative to buy internationally.

dB

Depending on the stand, I would think the size and weight would make it preventative to buy internationally.

That K&M series is great. It knocks down small for transport and even smaller for shipping, and I think the 3-tier weighs about 8 lbs assembled! At any rate, as I mentioned, Thomann seems to charge a flat 30 euro per order. But it's not even really price, it's availability. For some reason, that stand is hard to find here. The few places that carry it seem to often have the stand and/or its additional tiers on backorder. It's faster to get it in two weeks from Thomann. But there is always a risk... if the box comes missing a part or something, it's not going to be easy to deal with. So I'm not saying it would be my first choice!

The stand with the 2 additional tiers including shipping according to Thomann is $268 USD. Excluding any customs.

I am not finding it in stock at any US dealers right now. They are all out of stock and take a large amount of time to get and the total rig cost a lot more money according to domestic dealers.

I would buy domestic if could find it. I am not in a great need. I have a 3 tier stand, It just takes up a large chunk of front to back real estate. It is an Instandt 3 tier similiar to a Standtasitic.

The K&M looks like it would work way better consider how big our band is.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I buy lots of things from Thomann and they are great - fast, safe delivery. (I am in the UK). However, I did once receive a faulty keyboard. They imnmediately arranged free pick-up and delivered another very quickly. They seem efficient and helpful. Don't know about shipping to the USA though!

For some reason, the 18880 series is rare in the states. The places I know that carry it are B&H, Full Compass, and Music Stands Alone, but even they rarely have it in stock (or at least all of its components).

For some reason, the 18880 series is rare in the states.

Maybe it's because people looking to buy it go outside the country rather than contacting the distributor. ;)

Distributors are in business to sell the brands they representunlike dealers, who are frequently more interested in selling you what they have in stock.

My guess is that if you call the Connolly folks, they'd fall over themselves to sell you a stand - especially if their business in the US market is weak, and you tell them you're gonna buy it from Thomann if they don't help you.

Give it a try

dB

For some reason, the 18880 series is rare in the states.

Maybe it's because people looking to buy it go outside the country rather than contacting the distributor. ;)

Distributors are in business to sell the brands they representunlike dealers, who are frequently more interested in selling you what they have in stock.

My guess is that if you call the Connolly folks, they'd fall over themselves to sell you a stand - especially if their business in the US market is weak, and you tell them you're gonna buy it from Thomann if they don't help you.

Give it a try

dB

I just bought a K&M 18880 with second tier from MusicStandsAlone - had to wait a week and a half - no big deal, but obviously they are not holding inventory...

nonetheless, the reality is that we're in a global economy and anybody would be hard pressed to compete with in this case, a german manufacturer and probably their biggest dealer who likely buys more than any of their country importers/distributors...

hence, as I just discovered, thomann's significantly better pricing in this case...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

nonetheless, the reality is that we're in a global economy and anybody would be hard pressed to compete with in this case, a german manufacturer and probably their biggest dealer who likely buys more than any of their country importers/distributors...

hence, as I just discovered, thomann's significantly better pricing in this case...

Significantly better? :confused:

US dealers have the stand for $199, before you bargain with them or try to get them to throw shipping into the price.

Thomann's UK site has it at 98 Euro (excluding VAT), or about $135. Not including shipping it from Germany or paying any import fees. My guess is that'd easily take up $65.

You are correct that it is a global economy thoughbut that works against your point, not with it. Customers all over the world expect to pay around the same price regardless of where they get it. Thomann and Sweetwater are the benchmark all over the world for pricing - customers all over the world use those two sites to beat their local dealer up.

Also, distributor pricing is typically a lot lower than dealer pricing to make to easier for them to sell to their dealers at a price that will allow their countries to be as competitive as possible with the country of origin.

dB

I have heard that the warranties on goods sold through Thomann do not even apply in the UK, never mind the USA/Canada.

I'm in the UK, and I had no problem getting a guitar fixed by Thomann under warranty recently.

I'm in the UK, and I had no problem getting a guitar fixed by Thomann under warranty recently.

International warranty policy typically depends on the manufacturer's policy more than the dealer's.

dB

guess I'm not much of a haggler - with the 2nd tier I ended up around 270 - Thomann ttl with shipping (30eu) at 151eu, about 200us... granted, does not include import duties, which if any, might be 10%...

and being located in Hawaii, shipping becomes an issue for mainland retailers... the euros tend to have a flat rate to the US, regardless of where...

with thomann's volume and german location with a german vendor (who additionally probably gives them serious dating on their invoices - as opposed to a (small) foreign country distributor who is likely to have to prepay or pay on arrival), I doubt they pay much more than the distributors do...

thanks for you comments though- I love this forum for everything I learn through it - in this case realizing I could stand to push on the pricing...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

You are correct that it is a global economy thoughbut that works against your point, not with it. Customers all over the world expect to pay around the same price regardless of where they get it. Thomann and Sweetwater are the benchmark all over the world for pricing - customers all over the world use those two sites to beat their local dealer up.

Also, distributor pricing is typically a lot lower than dealer pricing to make to easier for them to sell to their dealers at a price that will allow their countries to be as competitive as possible with the country of origin.

dB

I have no point to make - just sharing my experience...

and historically my experience has been that products are cheaper in the US, regardless of country of origin because of the size and image, importance of the US market to those manufacturers - Porsche BMW etc. anyone?

so I was actually surprised in this case to see Thomann landed price out lower...

more commonly manufacturers will do whatever they can to eliminate, limit the "grey market" and protect their distributors (and their dealers) via warranty restrictions etc. and contractual obligations, since there is only so much room in the margins...

and being located in Hawaii, shipping becomes an issue for mainland retailers... the euros tend to have a flat rate to the US, regardless of where...

Understood - the Hawaii thing can be odd; but, interestingly enough, UPS does quote a ground rate to Hawaii from the mainland. Not sure how they actually deliver it, though :D FWIW, USPS priority to Hawaii is usually less expensive. Apologies if you already know that...

It is my understanding that more than a few US dealers will throw shipping in for free if you ask, though. There are even some of them have that as standard on their web site.

more commonly manufacturers will do whatever they can to eliminate, limit the "grey market" and protect their distributors (and their dealers) via warranty restrictions etc. and contractual obligations, since there is only so much room in the margins...

Yup.

dB

depending on size and weight, different shipping options will price out better - sometimes USPS is best, other times ups or fedex ground... but apparently people have gotten burned shipping here - many ebay vendors explicitly state lower 48 only...

and when you get to the fine print of the dealer's free shipping offer, it generally excludes HI/AK

the price of living out here...

That's good to know. As I said in my earlier post, maybe the sales guy just didn't want to drop his profit to price match for me.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Archived