Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I've solved my acoustic problem

Fred_C

Gents,

I have been feeling really guilty about letting my Travis style chops deteriorate due to a lack of focus. When I posted my teacher's video's on the site, I really felt ashamed. I have been obsessed with Chord Melody Jazz Guitar and have completely ignored acoustic blues guitar.

I had mentioned that the slim neck on my Carvin was causing me problems. I found it difficult to maintain the steady alternating bass required of Travis style while playing melody cleanly (with some grease under it, of course).

So, yesterday afternoon I sold the Carvin at GC and bought a Loar LO-16 at a small local shop. It is designed explicitly for acoustic blues. Gentlemen, the 1.75" nut width and increase in string spacing was exactly what the doctor ordered. This little honey will play Travis style!

http://www.theloar.com/products/small-body-acoustic-guitars/small-body-lo-16-bk

I really haven't completely lost my chops! I made it through Doc Watson's arrangement (Nobody plays like Doc, but it's close) of Windy and Warm with almost no mistakes! I dropped the guitar off at my Tech's shop and he will be working his magic on it. Can't wait to get it back. I'm planning to get back into Travis style to some extent.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem was I quit buy guitars (acoustic and electric) and have resisted taking out my credit card for at least two years. But, I wanted a less expensive acoustic to take camping, to a park, the beach, anyplace outside so I could leave the more expensive models for indoor use at home. When I saw your little baby, I couldn't resist anymore. Plus Taylor put out a fall limited GS Mini that has electronics on board, so I had to quit procrastinating. You gave me inspiration Fred...
Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Fred! I sent the Taylor mini back as it didn't work out for me with the narrow nut width. I'm checking back with you to see how you like the Loar? (now that you've had time to play it for awhile)...
Take care, Larryz

Hey Larry,

Haven't gotten the Loar back from my guitar tech yet. I expect it to be done today or tomorrow at the latest. I'll let you know how it plays.

I can tell you that my initial impressions were very positive. The guitar has excellent projection and lots of volume and bloom for such a small bodied instrument. I should mention that the fretboard feels as wide as the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. It is not only wide, but the neck is chunky. However, the increase in fretboard width and string spacing were exactly what I was looking for. I was very happy to find out that I hadn't completely lost my Travis style chops. The neck on my Carvin dreadnaught had been fine for more contemporary stuff, but didn't cut it for Travis style.

Good Luck in your search for an acoustic that does what you need done. Let me know if I can help.

Regards.

If you play cool, you are cool.

Thanks Fred, I will be looking forward to your review when you get her back. The Taylor GS mini has a 1.687 nut width which is OK until you shorten the scale to 23.5", as I get a little bit cramped in the 1st 3 frets. I prefer the 1.75 nut width on acoustics like I have on my Taylor 416 and I'm guessing that you have on the Loar. The 1.687 is fine if you have a 25.5" scale...anyway, thanks for getting back to me on the Loar, as they sound great on the demos I've watched!
Take care, Larryz

Archived