Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Happy 40th birthday to Head Hunters!

Dana.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the highlights of my musical career was playing a gig with Paul Jackson in NYC, Harlem. Damn ! one hell of a bass player, and the rest of the lineup wasn't too shabby either, alas, I was playing percussion, not keys, doubt I would have ever lived up to anything Herbie does.

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Back in '85/'86 I got Headhunters from the local library and it changed my whole view on music. I once read that Ryuichi Sakamoto said that Headhunters was a huge influence on him too... pity I can't play anything like either of those guys! :D

Did not hear another album even remotely similar until a friend of my father's gave me some pieces from his jazz collection (Deodato - Prelude, Freddie Hubbard - High Energy, Yusef Lateef - Hush n Thunder, and the like). Was kinda strange growing up through the 90s and hearing all those LPs as samples on hiphop albums...

Still love all those albums... I am a huge fan of that whole era. Something really magical, lyrical and soulful about a lot of that music. Like many, I suspect, It was the start of my appreciation for jazz in all it's flavours...

Back in '85/'86 I got Headhunters from the local library and it changed my whole view on music. I once read that Ryuichi Sakamoto said that Headhunters was a huge influence on him too... pity I can't play anything like either of those guys! :D

I didn't know that about Sakamoto. He is one of my musical heroes. :cool:

I also love Thrust, Sextant (which precedes Head Hunters), and the underrated Man-Child. Herbie was pretty much unstoppable during the '70s.

I didn't know that about Sakamoto. He is one of my musical heroes. :cool:

I also love Thrust, Sextant (which precedes Head Hunters), and the underrated Man-Child. Herbie was pretty much unstoppable during the '70s.

Yeah from what I recall (it was from an interview circa 1987 I believe) Sakamoto stated that he was only listening to classical and avant-garde and Headhunters brought down his barriers to contemporary music. There was another interview back in the 90s when Sakamoto was doing a listening test for Wire magazine in the UK. They played Eddie Henderson's "Moussaka" from the 1973 LP Inside Out and he was thinking it was a modern track by Squarepusher...

guy is hip!

This is a track from the album... unfortunately Moussaka is not on Youtube.

[video:youtube]

Herbie can make anything sound good. :D

Actually...his synth work is quite appalling, to be honest! It's like his approach to them is the same "funky" style he uses for the Rhodes or a Clavinet, and it just doesn't work. There are exceptions, obviously, the "Chameleon" solo being one (even though I much more prefer the legendary Rhodes solo that follows).

And even to this day, he seems fond of particularly atrocius brass sounds.

But this is the only thing I actually dislike of him.

Isn't it time Keyboard did a cover story? I can't remember when he was on last.

Actually...his synth work is quite appalling, to be honest! It's like his approach to them is the same "funky" style he uses for the Rhodes or a Clavinet, and it just doesn't work.

:facepalm:

"Rockit." End of debate.

If you're talking about the brass sounds he uses live, I agree.

His synth work is appalling? erm....okay!!! :/

Have to confess I am on the fence on that one Dan. :D I love the stuff on Mr Hands (4am esp) and even some of the Rockit stuff is cool (I am a big fan of that track TFS!) ... but his keytar stuff with the AX7/Lync doesn't do much for me...

Still he has given us a lot of great stuff either way!

Actually...his synth work is quite appalling, to be honest! It's like his approach to them is the same "funky" style he uses for the Rhodes or a Clavinet, and it just doesn't work.

:facepalm:

"Rockit." End of debate.

If you're talking about the brass sounds he uses live, I agree.

I have a love/hate with the brass... like his chord work with the stacked 4ths (they sound enormous!) but not so keen on the single lines... I did like George Duke on brass though... he really mastered that Miles trumpet thing...

Is there a Return of the HH CD?

IS Paul Jackson playing on that Chameleon track? That is the strangest question, since I always assumed Paul was playing the line, that I was told he had much to do with creating in the first place, yet on my tiny laptop, listening casually I do not hear the bass, but only Herbie's left hand part!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

IS Paul Jackson playing on that Chameleon track? That is the strangest question, since I always assumed Paul was playing the line, that I was told he had much to do with creating in the first place, yet on my tiny laptop, listening casually I do not hear the bass, but only Herbie's left hand part!

I always believed on the first part he is playing the counterpoint line (0.30 onwards) and on the long Tour De Force Fender Rhodes solo part (the best bit) he is playing in the style we all know and love.

I always believed on the first part he is playing the counterpoint line (0.30 onwards) and on the long Tour De Force Fender Rhodes solo part (the best bit) he is playing in the style we all know and love.

Yes Neil - that's correct! He's way up on the frets for the head, and then kicks in with the bass line after the synth solo... The original subject line of this thread raises an interesting question - 40th birthday of Headhunters, yet unreleased songs have never been heard - neither has the original 23 min take of Chameleon with Bennie Maupin solo! Fingers crossed we get to hear it all one day...!

Archived