Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding pro-level band opportunities in Chicago?

Michael W

Dan be nice... I am asking you about YOU JustDan, not about me. What is personal IS often about what is true for all.

Sorry, Tee, I got a little pissy....my bad. I'm just trying to help the OP. I don't think it's helpful to list clubs, bands, etc here in St. Louis because nobody else on here lives in St. Louis, and I don't live in Chicago so I can't suggest places there, but it sounds like Bluezeyone gave some good local suggestions.

For the benefit of anybody looking for this type of opportunity (and yes they do still exist, though to a limited group) in a similar situation to the OP, I'll back up and give a detailed scenario of what I'm suggesting....

In any given town, there are a few top "A" bands that get the best gigs - usually they're the ones also getting the best private/corporate gigs. They play the best "A" clubs in town when they don't have a private/corporate gig. In St. Louis, there are probably thousands of musicians playing in many hundreds of bands around town, most I've never heard of. However, there are maybe 50-100 musicians sort of at the top that play in the best bands, best gigs, and they all know each other. They're in that group not necessarily because they are the best player in town (though some are), but because they worked their way up there, along with everybody else in "the club". They know each other because at one point in time or another, they probably played in a band together, or they know the other guy's band because they play in the same places and compete.

In any city, you can identify the cross section of the "A" bands and the "A" clubs by doing a little internet research and asking around. Ask any band what the best place to play in town is. Look at the schedule. Identify some of the top bands, look at their schedule. Where to they intersect? An "A" band that's taking the best club gigs to supplement their private/corporate schedule can be easily identified. Their schedule will have "private event" quite often, or only show a few gigs per month when they are obviously doing this full time. The holes in their schedule are the private/corporate gigs. If multiple "A" bands list the same booking agent, that's somebody you should try to meet.

OK, so identified who's a member of "the club". If they have a rare night off, their not going to languish sitting through listening to a sub-par band in some hole in the wall. Either the music has to be top-notch, or they're going to go check out one of their buddies that they never get to see because they have gigs. You have to go to them. Go to their gigs, and meet them during break.

DO NOT ASK TO SIT IN. It's unprofessional and you'll be dismissed as such. However, if they ASK you to sit in, it would be good to be prepared with something on their list that will blow them away, but don't expect it. The idea is to get to know some of them personally over time, so that they know you by name and you can have regular conversations.

Your story is that you are a pro player that's new to the Chicago scene. You were in "the club" in Cleveland, but had to relocate. Let them know that you're looking for a pro band in need of keys, and pass the word around. Having cards is a good idea.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One additional thought based on my experience in my old band. There's only so much a local market will bear. Once a band has grown UP as much as they can, the only place to go is to grow OUT....travel. Once your price gets to be over the heads of most of the local gigs, you gotta look elsewhere. So if you see a band's schedule and there are a lot of out of town gigs, that's another indication that they are ones who are playing a lot of private/corporate pro level stuff. When I was in my old band, I was holding them back a bit in that I couldn't travel much with my work/family situation. We took some in KC, MS, IL...but not too much. Since I left and that restriction has been lifted, they're getting some high dollar stuff out of town. I know they've been to Oklahoma and Florida. We had gotten offers in Vegas when I was still in the band but we turned it down at the time.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Not because I got,... or JustDan may have been perceived as "pissy", not that..or we're "making up", nope. Just this.. I am a musician first and last.. In my book, a musician is about a balance of intellect, experience, feeling, balls, and instinct or intuition. and my gut instinct tells me justDan is RIGHT ON THE MONEY. Much as I like the sound of my own vox, I must readily say, Dan whipped my ass, with this.. and is right "down the numbers".with his brilliant analysis, backed by plenty of high tier experience!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

You know Tee, it comes down to this....WHAT DO YOU WANT? People think they should be able to do whatever the hell they want and get the best gigs for the best pay...it doesn't work that way...it just doesn't. That's the way it is. We can spend many, many forum pages bitching about it, but it's just business. The people who understand it and accept it will get all the good gigs, all the other assholes will bitch about how they can't get the gigs, and there are no good gigs, and all the gigs suck, yada, yada, yet lots of folks are making a living doing JUST THAT!

Dan

Archived