Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding pro-level band opportunities in Chicago?

Michael W

What resources might be available besides craigslist? I haven't seen many compelling opportunities there... Lots of background noise, garage bands, kids looking to make original music... metal bands...

I'm a capable player with nice gear and I can read... I'd love to find an opportunity with a more established group that has more of an emphasis on private and corporate gigs vs biker bars in the suburbs...

Any suggestions? I'm in the suburban Chicago area.

Thanks.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lower your standards. Take ANY gig... meet LOTS of singers, musicians, and people who know people kind of thing... one thing leads to another.

Get a Prius because you should drive to all manner of locales... many miles apart. Point is, be a gig monster..by take ANY gig regardless of driving, or pay ( DO get paid of course but don't be too fussy ) . But spread out your influence among musicians.. meet loads of people. And of course versatility with various genre's will increase your likelihood of working. An old expression nothing succeeds like success .. in this economy I would amend that. to keep busy by doing any gig from all corners of the gigging world. any and all kinds of work... expect to rehearse at a loss.. do it.. get your sound, face, phone number, and email out there. In activity is death to progress and to the human spirit stagnation kills the spirit very hard to endure for long. So make up your mind to follow this advice.. This ain't 1975 anymore!! Things are rough, but take heart I am working.. you can do it too.

You may well need a part time job too. Expect to be very patient.

What styles of music do you like? Learn to play appropriately for the style you are playing for. Do not over play or showoff unless the music requires it.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

We have a pretty good Chicago contingent on here. I hope they can give you some good answers.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

While I don't live in Chicago, I think it's pretty much the same deal anywhere...you gotta pay your dues and build relationships along the way. When everybody knows who you are, you get the call when these opportunities come up. Top notch bands playing corporate gigs don't put ads in craigslist. More often, when they need somebody they decide who they want to ask to audition based on who they know would be a good fit. A lot of times that will mean "stealing" somebody from another band that's playing around already. Play lots of gigs, build your way up over time to better bands, get to know as many other musicians and booking agents as possible. Network.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

A bit more information -

I'm 55 years old. I have a full-time job as a VP at a software company. I am married, my wife works, and I just put two kids through college.

Decades ago, I lived in Cleveland, and got to know a lot of musicians and bands. But I landed a day job that made it impossible to have a "musical life" outside of my career and family responsibilities. That day job lasted for 23 years.

My job situation changed (I found myself unemployed), and in 2008 I joined a classic rock bar band that I met through craigslist. I played suburban bar gigs with them for two years but I never met any other musicians or bands. We played out 5-6 times a month but it was always just us, playing in "bar and grill" type places through the western suburbs. We played some ribfest-type gigs in the summer, but once again, this experience didn't lead to me getting to know anyone.

It's possible there's no easy answer to my question, and perhaps I am looking for a shortcut that doesn't exist. But heck, I peruse craigslist now and then, and typically don't even see people advertising for players for wedding bands there.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

I've met a lot of people in the Houston music scene just by hanging around. In the past, there were some events held for musicians such as mixers, classes on how to promote your music, etc. I've made a ton of good connections this way. Look for organizations such as The Recording Academy, NARIP, etc. and see if they have activities where you are.

I'd suggest you go to other people's gigs, and introduce yourself. Not as an offer to play, just when you like a band. Tell them you dug the show. A lot of times someone will ask if you play. If you're on Facebook, connect with them that way as well if they're on there. (Even if you want nothing to do with FB as far as seeing people's updates, it's a good way to connect with people.)

Like I mentioned earlier, there are a number of people on here from Chicago, and I've met a bunch of them at the midwest hang last year. They are great people and another way you can network with musicians in the area.

Check out open mics and blues jams. There might be lots of amateurs, but there are some that attract pros as well. Even if not, it's still connections.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's not what you know it's who you know. If I were looking for that I'd start with professional marketing firms that promote the arts in Chica go. Make a resume and get it out. Being a software geek, you probably don't have the skill set to get out into the space. Face time with the right people is probably the most important thing. Otherwise there are thousands that can't seem to make it over the energy barrier. I have a friend that is a pro player in Chicago, we were at dinner the other night and his wife said, that he didn't play the game, I don't know how to do that either but I 've heard it a hundred times B4.

Musicale

Blues band musicians are often hooked into a much wider scene, and usually know a much wider array of musicians than just their own genre. Start going to some open mic Blues jams and networking. Many of them will be musicians that are around your age, plus, they love it when keyboardists show up.
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

perhaps I am looking for a shortcut that doesn't exist.

As Bobadoshe pointed out, you are, and it doesn't.

The gigs you are looking for are the most sought after. As you aren't part of that scene already, those gigs aren't going

to fall in your lap, you'll have to find and then earn them. Folks don't leave bands that are making full-time money as often as bar bands. Those $300-$500 per man gigs are hard to come by, and you'll need to earn your way into that community.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

There are gigs out there in Chicago, however, I don't know what your expecting pay wise. I do just about any gig , and I don't do this to screw other keys players, its more about networking with other musicians, who at some point, will call you up, and one thing leads to another, the big payers come along. As said, go to gigs, go to bigger venues, go to smaller venues, go to street fests, don't be afraid if you hear a band you like that dosnt have keys, ask them if they need a keys player, chances are, they have been looking too ( have business cards to hand out, and maybe a short resume) That's how I got my first gigs as a percussionist in Chicago, and since , I have built up a network and Im now playing in 2 bands as a keys player. Dosnt come overnight, but don't give up mate, theres work for keys players here....

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Those aren't the kinds of gigs you find on Craigslist, Bandmix, or Guitar Center bulletin boards.

++++1

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I think the consensus, regardless of whether they're from Chicago or not, is the same: Network. Get your name out. You have to talk to people and get your name to the ones who are picking keyboard players for the good gigs. You have to be known or recommended...no short cuts. Doesn't mean you need to be playing shit bar gigs, but you need to be building some relationships in the musical community one way or the other. It wouldn't matter if somebody from Chicago said "This is the guy you need to talk to". You'd talk to him and he'd say "who the hell are you? Who do you play with now? Why aren't you playing? Why would I want to book you? I know nothing about you and have no references."

The music world is not unlike the professional world.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

JustDan the KC Hairsplitter here ! Dan, just for finer tiny hairs sake.. why wouldn't he take a shite gig? And what makes a gig not takable? I think the more intense the supply and demand thing, plays into the performers world.. the more the possibility of taking a "warm" gig ( warm .. not so hot) makes sense. For me a "bad" gig was based on the intersecting of two criteria , the money and the musicianship. So a shite gig is where BOTH musicianship and money are not so hot. One still has to decide.. DO I get out there regardless of shite or watch "24", "Breaking Bad" and Disgusting Mob Wives after Fear Factor!

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Going to talk to bands without a keyboard player has worked for me in the past, when I moved to a new city and didn't know anyone. And then network furiously so people know about you when they need a sub at short notice.

Then the obvious stuff: when you do get a chance, turn up on time with all your gear working properly, be easy to deal with, listen carefully to the rest of the band etc.

JustDan the KC Hairsplitter here ! Dan, just for finer tiny hairs sake.. why wouldn't he take a shite gig? And what makes a gig not takable? I think the more intense the supply and demand thing, plays into the performers world.. the more the possibility of taking a "warm" gig ( warm .. not so hot) makes sense. For me a "bad" gig was based on the intersecting of two criteria , the money and the musicianship. So a shite gig is where BOTH musicianship and money are not so hot. One still has to decide.. DO I get out there regardless of shite or watch "24", "Breaking Bad" and Disgusting Mob Wives after Fear Factor!

Well, if all you're playing is the crappiest gigs in town, then it doesn't look good on your resume. If I'm looking to hire a new band member and somebody calls me and the places they list that they play are all places that I know crappy bands play, I'm goingto form an opinion before even hearing him - even if it's incorrect. If his story is "I played around Cleveland, but had to relocate here and am trying to get into the music scene", then I may think - OK, fresh blood, worth checking out.

But networking is what will get you those opportunities. I would think he'd be better off going to the gigs of the top notch bands and building relationships rather than playing dives that the good musicians around town are going to avoid.

Dan

Try the local open mike / jam sessions. Especially the ones that are hosted by well known local musicians. Great way to get into the local network. Last time I went to one I had to 2 band offers before I made to to the parking lot and a bunch of facebook friend requests afterward. Facebook seems to be a great way to get connected into the local music scene.

JustDan the KC Hairsplitter here ! Dan, just for finer tiny hairs sake.. why wouldn't he take a shite gig?!

Well, if all you're playing is the crappiest gigs in town, then it doesn't look good on your resume. If I'm looking to hire a new band member and somebody calls me and the places they list that they play are all places that I know crappy bands play, I'm goingto form an opinion before even hearing him - even if it's incorrect. If his story is "I played around Cleveland, but had to relocate here and am trying to get into the music scene", then I may think - OK, fresh blood, worth checking out.

But networking is what will get you those opportunities. I would think he'd be better off going to the gigs of the top notch bands and building relationships rather than playing dives that the good musicians around town are going to avoid.

JustDan You just may have something there.. ye ole, aim high, theory! I have developed the idea of being useful as a sub. I sub on bass and keys.. and yes, LAST minute calls are quite true, as stated above.

This useful trustworthy sub concept can be extended I suppose in this manner.. LEARN the music of each group or bandleader that you aim for. In other words, specificity.. but that is a LOT of preparation. You have to match your particular skill set .. I know a fair amount of tunes in general.. and I can play many of them in various keys.. 2 skills, the high number of tunes, the quick transposing .. I play left hand bass well, etc. you must connect.. match up, your particular skills with the groups you are aiming for... and you ought to do this ethically.. this strictly as a sub! Affable personality, transposition, sight reading, knowledge of genres, punctuality.. great appearance.. singing is a whole other world.. your singing style(s), how well you sing.. here's a big one.. "fronting" a group, if leader is sick, can you fill in for him! Usually a lot of leaders are females, but I am sure there are male front people too.

There are 4 categories of possible people who will call you People who want to hire "your band", agents, musicians in dire need of a sub and who feel they can TRUST you won't TAKE their gig!, and Bandleaders. Especially in the economic climate we live in and will continue to live in.. gigs have more primitive emotion attached to them.. a gig is one's bread basket.. so ethics are very important... we don't wish to make enemies needlessly.

Are you familiar with the practice of putting a Hold on a date?

Also being very precise about the dates you do get.. a hard copy in a date book or large calendar for all the info... and more modern computer. In the old days leaders gave directions.. make sure your mapquest.. google, apple, or Garmin is on the money about directions, including parking heads up, and btw never eat or drink liquor on a gig without permission. And as a newcomer I would not ask. Eat just BEFORE the gig.

After reading this forum for some time now I've depressingly accepted the fact that things suck all over, not just here in LA.

I'm just going to write about the good gigs, anybody can get $50 bar gigs. I'm like you, a good experienced keys player who can do pretty much anything. I've done a handful of big well paying shows over the last several years and everybody liked me (or at least they said they did, maybe it's the old Hollywood, You're the best, baby! lol). Anyway when I talked to the various bandleaders about players they all said they have their primary people plus a book of equally good players to sub for them. I know I was 4th or 5th on the list and haven't been called since. One leader who I really got along with who seemed to really like me said he would love to use me but he's worked with his regular guy for over 15 years and if he can make the gig, well...This was one of those $400 gigs and trust me players won't blow those off unless they're either in the hospital or they got called to Vegas for 4 weeks which is how I got that gig. If somebody dies or moves he still has his 3 or 4 subs to look at for a replacement. I'm still at the bottom of the list and he most likely would never get down to me.

Everybody around here is hustling for gigs, it doesn't matter who they are. I could name drop like a mofo, they all have cards, websites, album credits, touring credits and will give anybody and their dog their info for connections. One guy who's very well known told me he has a 50/50 rule. If it pays $50 or more and is 50 miles or less, his wife will book it because like Tee said it's not the money it's being out there hustling. He will do the occasional 5K a week Vegas gig but there's just not enough of them. If he could do that 30-40 weeks a year it would be fat city but that never happens.

Quality of your playing matters. Here in LA the top bands have studio quality players. They all have impressive resume's like being on the road for 3 years with Barry Manilow, or working in Vegas with Gladys Knight, they were on the soundtrack for some movie (these are real players I know), etc. I have a fairly impressive resume too but it's out of date and while I'm a pretty good player I freely admit I'm not at the Paramount Studio's soundtrack level yet those are the guys out there hustling for the same gigs I am.

Like you I've had a full time job for the last 25 years and never really pursued a lot of gigs. People know me and I'll get calls, just not a lot of them because I'm not out there that much. I suppose if I really wanted to I might get more work but I really don't know, that could just be another fantasy in my own mind (I did it once I can do it again, riight...)

I know there's flood of great players around here but I also know historically there's been a ton of great players in Chitown too so I don't know if it's any easier or not, you don't have the studios out there but still, there's seems to be lots of very good players everywhere.

Doesn't sound too promising to me. The only thing I'll add to the other advice is find out who the big agents are and call them. Years ago when we needed a player the first place we'd call was our agent. He always had some good players who were floating around but then again if the agent has never heard you in a good group already and doesn't really know what you can do, I wonder if that would do you any good either.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Or do what I said.. take ANY gig, ANY where. I am serious. Nothing succeeds like success and working in itself in todays "current reality". I am afraid, IS a measure of success. I am working a lot.. But I admit I do a steady $50 gig where I alomost net $00 because of the distance. But psychologically musically it is important to see yourself busy.. You must keep moving or your music thing will stay in your head

Two frogs in a pail of milk time passes the heavier and perhaps more logical frog decided it was no use, so he rolled over and drowned .. but the other more energetic frog said to stop is to die. so kept paddling in the pail of milk ( imagine if it were a pail of ale !! ) well guess what that little sucker paddled so much he made cream thick enough to jump out!

Keep moving.. keep busy... forget per hour bs... this is pre 2014 new rules apply.. got to go to a two and a half hour gig about 20 min away for $50 yup... and what are YOU doing!

Yikes, depressing thread. Validates my deciding to switch majors after my freshman year way back when. The odds against making real money are just stacked.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

There are opportunities that can pay pretty well, just not a lot of them. You have to be in the scene for a long enough time paying your dues before you land those gigs. I know plenty of guys earning their living in cover bands with a little supplemental income teaching lessons or working in a music store.

Dan

keybrdwzrd has the chops for any gig.

Of course he does, he's the wizard, the wonderful wizard of . . . uh, yeah, and besides, it sounds like he doesn't rely on this for his bread, he just wants gigs to be worth his time.

I was starting to get offers to do some really nice corporate gigs right around the time I quit gigging due to the baby. Honestly, it wasn't that difficult, though I did have to make myself known in the right circles for a couple years. But as I'm always saying, we're lucky being keyboard players. For a competent player, the gigs are out there. If you're a guitar player, you're just one of the unwashed masses.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Yikes, depressing thread. Validates my deciding to switch majors after my freshman year way back when. The odds against making real money are just stacked.

You are woody harrelson so in your case you are just one bad ass who CAN jump and shoot em up too!

LOL - I am Woody!

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone scraping it out, doing well, or having an awesome paying, full-time music career. A guitar player I play with is managing just fine in freakin Moscow, ID...between her having a music studio (lessons with like 5 teachers on the dole) and playing in two bands, that's what she does.

That being said, I wouldn't trade that effort for my current situation...I like what I do!

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Archived