Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mojo and a mixer or?

I-missRichardTee

I have been struggling with uneven volume in the lower bass note range of Mojo. It was suggested that I keep the volume knob at no higher than 12:00 O clock, because the mojo's limiter ( correct me if I am not accurate here ) kicks in, and that would account for uneven volume on some bass notes.

Assuming this is true.. I have no reason to doubt it. I am thinking I may need to boost volume with either a mixer or other device . I am quite concerned with degrading sound with my new bottom feeder ( $200 ) mackie profx. I am fairly sure this mixer will degenerate the sound.

Is there a better choice than a mixer?

name a definitively superior brand of mixer, please!

BTW I am hoping that tonewheel alterations ( downstream ) can be applied to the mojo to even out the bass notes. Last week, the Lowest E was MUCH much louder than the A and Bb above the E. This TO SOME extent is the Nature of B3's due to foldback.. but this is 2013, and this ought to be correctable. If I give up something with a clonewheel.. certain authenticity, on the other end of that bargain, I ought to GAIN something, yes?

So I am hoping to hear about tonewheel corrections on bass notes that are considerably at variance volume wise. In the mean time, mixer or other device to help boost volume without sonic "penalty"!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming this is true.. I have no reason to doubt it. I am thinking I may need to boost volume with either a mixer or other device . I am quite concerned with degrading sound with my new bottom feeder ( $200 ) mackie profx. I am fairly sure this mixer will degenerate the sound.

Is there a better choice than a mixer?

Do you have evidence that the Mackie will degrade the sound, or are you just assuming it will because of its relatively low price? I run all my keys live through a different Mackie, the 802VLZ, and I don't have any concerns about it degrading the sound. I've even recorded through the Mackie preamps in a pinch, and I have Neve, 7th Circle, and the preamps from my Soundcraft Spirit available in my studio. I just leave my live setup patched through the Mackie, and sometimes, when I need to capture something quickly, I'm too lazy to repatch.

I know your model has built-in effects, and I'm sure they are not the best, but if you bypass those, you should be fine using the Mackie as a mixer.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I don't own a Mojo but I thought there was functionality in the Mojo to create your own tonewheel set. So rather than trying to solve your issue with another add-on piece of gear I would create a model of the organ that evens out the bass notes and sets the volume to your liking. In the event that you can't do the above then I would first try your existing mixer. If it doesn't sound degraded to your own ears then just go with that mixer.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I don't own a Mojo but I thought there was functionality in the Mojo to create your own tonewheel set. So rather than trying to solve your issue with another add-on piece of gear I would create a model of the organ that evens out the bass notes and sets the volume to your liking.

That is my sincere wish.. that someone ELSE will do this for me! In the mojo manual it discourages people like me from doing this.. it requires knowledge tools experience.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

That is my sincere wish.. that someone ELSE will do this for me! In the mojo manual it discourages people like me from doing this.. it requires knowledge tools experience.

Really? I thought this was one of the major selling points, "Choice of 20 tonewheels, choose your favourite" etc.

KG

Archived