Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marching bands embrace electronic instruments... my dream

Synthoid

It might be awhile before we see an "all electronic marching band", but at least these high school musicians are getting their feet wet. And it's right in my back yard.

http://addesk.engleonline.com/AdDesk/Htmlfiles/Readers/article.epc?id=90078

Another school gives synths a try. And they said it could never happen:

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/727509_Marching-bands-keep-beat-with-technology.html

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dream is that marching bands are banned from the face of the planet....there is no music that can be played better while walking around in circles than it could if they were standing still. :)

(former reluctant high-school trumpet player)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I was a drummer in my High school band in Michigan. I would have killed for a lighter electronic instrument. Using bluetooth or some other wireless technology and batteries I don't see why not.

The only thing I wanted more than lighter drums, was thermal uniforms, it gets frickin cold especially with the lake effect from Lake Huron!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Just came across this picture. I guess the "synth in the marching band" idea has been around for awhile.

http://audioboy.net/images/photo_album/neilband.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

My dream is that marching bands are banned from the face of the planet....

Don't candy coat it... how do you really feel? :laugh:

I'm only half serious. I go to a lot of football games and would be happy if they skipped the whole thing and had a 5 minute halftime.....but I know other people enjoy it so who am I to deprive them?

I would settle for a list of banned marching band songs....the ones they can't seem to resist playing at least once each season (e.g. Star Wars, West Side Story, Beatles Medleys in general, etc.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I was led to believe that I participated in the World's Largest Marching band in August of 1985, but in looking it up, it seems the record is held by K-State band day a year prior. Hmmm, I guess we didn't beat their record. Nobody ever told me.

I my high school didn't actually have a marching band, I was in Concert Band. But all of the high schools were participating in this attempt to break the record at the Grand Re-Opening of Union Station in St. Louis. We assembled on the field at Busch Stadium and marched down Market Street to Union Station. I remember it was so hot that day, people were dropping like flies passing out from the heat. That was my only experience marching. It was kind of odd. The parade was so long that you could tell the front of the Marching Band was not playing with the back. It was a mess.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

When I saw this thread I wondered if someone was doing something like me...

I teach band at a small private school. I've got a pretty good crop of beginners, so in a few years I should have a real band program, but for now the high school program is very small - only 30 kids in 8th thru 12th grade.

Since I still need to do halftime shows, I have a rock band with amps on carts, powered by boat batteries.

There are 16 kids in the Rock Band: 4 Guitars, 2 Basses, Electric Violin, Keytar through a JV-1010, the new Casio board, and 7 kids playing marching band drumline instruments.

8 of these kids play horns in the stands. 2 of the drummers are just friends of kids in the band who've never played music before this.

I shot of couple of short movies during yesterday's rehearsal. This was our first time playing outside, and we were working on dialing in the sound. Each kid is playing through his own amp, which is good for them, I think: They have to listen for "on stage" balance. It makes for a cool wall of sound, too.

The kid playing violin is very good, but he had a heck of a time hearing pitch outside, through an amp, and loud as hell. Not his usual playing environment. He was much better at show time.

http://youtu.be/n93bIDybV3g

http://youtu.be/2rPwFkFEO1M

I tried and failed to embed the videos properly. I'd appreciate it if someone would fix it.

[video:youtube]n93bIDybV3g

[video:youtube]2rPwFkFEO1M

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived