Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Denny Zeitlin - jazz piano legend embracing technology

SK

With all the passings of jazz pianists recently, I hope some of you find this article uplifting.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2013/07/interview-denny-zeitlin-on-both-and.html

For the 75 yr. old Zeitlin to go from a lifetime of acoustic piano - to recording all the instrument parts of his CD with software is quite adventurous. It seems he's in a new zone, using Trilian, Omnisphere, and even yesterday's Yamaha keyboards... reminds me of Hank Jones at the end of his career, when he rented a small apartment just to play, write and record with digital instruments.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting! I've seen Zeitlin several times, both in solo and in a duo with a bassist, but never knew he'd done any electro-acoustic stuff, will have to check that out, and the new album sounds very cool.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

3 CP-33s!

He mountain bikes the same trails I do here around Mt. Tam in Marin (referencing the current "exercise" thread). Hoping to run into him (not literally) someday.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Denny has embraced technology for decades. He had one of the very few single manual rev1 Prophet-10 when they first came out. He could tolerate the tuning drift using autotune, he really wanted something he could slam with both hands.

Archived