Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha NPV-80 as an iPad controller?

To B3

Hello all... As I said on a previous thread, decided to change the focus of my purchase, as the main reason for it changed too.

All in all, we will not need a full 88 weighted right now, but we'd like some range (like 76 keys and "closed/piano-style keys"), with a good AP sound and not necessarily weighted.

So, after some research, we have an eye on the Yamaha NPV-80.

We want a cheap, light, decent sounding keyboard (regarding piano sound) with 76 piano style (albeit I know its not weighted, it doesn't matter for now). The other option that would fit on that descrption, that Casio WK7500, we did not like.

Other than that, I'd like to expand it later, but I saw it doesnt have regular 5 pin MIDI. Does the NP-80 connect well with the ipad via CCK?

Or should we look for the cheaper NP 31 with its regular midi ports and buy a sound module later?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NP-30 piano sound was better than the NP-V80 piano sound, and I"m pretty sure the NP-31 piano sound is the same as the NP-30.

The NP-31 will work with an iPad (using something like an iRig MIDI or any of a number of similar devices).

I am not sure about whether or not the NP-V80 works with an iPad using the Apple Camera Connection Kit.

I take it that, even with your new parameters, you're still looking for something with built in speakers?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Built in speakers are desirable, yes.

The NP 31 with iRig MIDI is more guaranteed to work than the NVP 80 with CCK? What are the other options other than the iRig MIDI, as it is a little expensive here in Brazil?

And between the NP31 and the NP30, what are the differences?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

The NP 31 with iRig MIDI is more guaranteed to work than the NVP 80 with CCK?

Yes...

iRigMIDI works with any keyboard with traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI connectors.

CCK works directly only with USB-MIDI keyboards that have minimal power draw or their own power supplies (so the NPV-80 is okay there) and that are USB MIDI class compliant, which Yamahas are not, they require custom drivers to work on a computer. But for some reason, Yamahas seem to work on an iPad anyway. (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iICtztPXqZA from about 1 minute to 3 minutes) But I don't know for a fact that every Yamaha works, so I'd check to be sure about the NP-V80 before actually buying one. But if I had to guess, if one Yamaha works, they all should. I just have never come across any kind of official documentation of this capability.

What are the other options other than the iRig MIDI, as it is a little expensive here in Brazil?

The Yamaha i-MX1, the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer II, the iConnectMIDI1. Also, a plain USB-to-MIDI adapter (like you'd use to connect a 5-pin DIN MIDI keyboard to a computer via its USB port) will work on an iPad if you have the Apple Camera Connection Kit. There are also some higher end options from Griffin and Alesis.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks, seems Iike gonna give it a try. What are the best B3, EP and Clav apps, regarding sounds, functionality and poliphony (not freezing or dropping notes)??

Thanks, seems Iike gonna give it a try. What are the best B3, EP and Clav apps, regarding sounds, functionality and poliphony (not freezing or dropping notes)??

Organs - Galileo

EP and Clav - I don't think anything currently beats Bismark's bs-16i for polyphony. You load your own soundfonts into it, and there are lots of really good EP an clav soundfonts out there to choose from.

The MIDI interface is very important. You don't want to go to all this trouble and wind up with terrible MIDI latency that makes things feel unnatural. Also, you need to keep in mind that you probably will want your ipad charging while playing. The best thing I've found for low latency MIDI that also charges is the iConnectMIDI2, for around $89.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

How do the same instruments on GB compare to these? Poliphony, quality, reliability (not freezing up), connectivity using CCK + a simple MIDI interface like midisport uno??

Don't forget the NPV series do not have audio jacks. Just a single headphone socket.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

The best thing I've found for low latency MIDI that also charges is the iConnectMIDI2, for around $89.

What have you compared it to? i.e. what have you tried that is not as good?

But, while not ideal, it can be used as a line out to a mixer/amp, right?

Yeah you could...but headphones outs are not really enjoyed much by F.O.H. crew..plus you would need a mini-stereo jack to twin 1/4" jacks, or a mini stereo to 1/4" stereo (if the desk has a line in single stereo socket) to run it.

You said it really - NOT ideal ;) for the sake of a few cents for a pair of out jacks and and a bog standard audio PCB, imo Yamaha stuffed these Piaggeros/NVPs big time.

PS: Oh yeah almost forgot, the keybed action is akin to a PSR range keyboard.. they are really quite awful for playing piano style tunes

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

The best thing I've found for low latency MIDI that also charges is the iConnectMIDI2, for around $89.

What have you compared it to? i.e. what have you tried that is not as good?

I haven't compared it to many. I wish I knew how to objectively compare latency, but alls I know is how the interfaces I have "feel".

The Alesia iodock - works fine, but doesn't support new iPads. Latency isn't too bad, but seems slightly higher than the iconnectmidi.

CCK with Yamaha mx16 - latency wasn't too bad, but also seemed a little higher than iconnectmidi.

Favorite Gear:Vintage Vibe 73 w/MIDI, Microkorg, ipad2 with lotsa apps, VB3, Rhodes 88, Roland VK8, Fantom XR, Brainspawn Forte

Archived