Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not enough synths!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The music I play has very simple synth needs; mostly leads and occasional pads. It's difficult to justify the expense and space for another synth.

I would have a lot of fun with a Mopho X4 for sure! But when I think about what that and other synths can do, I find that my PC 361 can cover the sounds well enough for what I need. Granted, the knobbiness isn't there, but you can assign pretty much anything to the sliders and switches.

At this point in my life, I would rather spend my time trying to be a better musician. Piano and organ are each hard enough.

I've been doing just fine with the Polysix, ms20, and AL-1 engines in my Kronos. I even had other keyboard players come up to me on break and ask me how I nailed some of the sounds. All it's missing is just the ergonomics of a dedicated panel layout/knobs, but for what I'm doing, it's great.

If I wanted to go analog and had enough time on my hands, I think I'd go back to designing and building my own. I had several different circuits on breadboard about 15 years ago and bought a bunch of components for more circuits I had designed, but I got busy and it pretty much died there. I still have a bag of unopened parts for the step sequencer I was going to build.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I don't need a synth but I would like to have a Prophet 8 Tabletop to ride on to the XK system.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I picked up the Integra 7 as a way to refresh my Fantom X and S90ES stack. Does that count?

Lately I've been practicing guitar, bass, and waiting for my Zendrum EXP to arrive. Really looking forward to that. Fxpansion also has a sale, 50 percent off of the BFD2 expansions. That's hitting me pretty hard but when the Zendrum arrives I'll be ready.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Sold a lot of things off and gone over to Reason 7. Fantastic synths in that... Thor, Antidote and all those crazy modulation routings and the Alligator filter bank... just crazy...

Still have 8 keyboards though so not giving up on hardware just yet! :D

I still have my old synths, a Wasp and an MC202. I've got some modules and tried some newer synths but nothing's doing much different to my older stuff, apart from the Krome which does a lot of stuff I was after but it's not so easy to program. I liked a lot of the Novation Ultranova but it didn't output its arp over midi and couldn't change sounds over an already running arp.

If I switch off the Krome's 'load arp when changing', in Global, I can change sounds over a running arp.

Purchased a Kurzweil K2600 yesterday on eBay. It's going to replace my K2500.

Geez, Dave: that good enough? You ask, I buy!

:wave:

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I like the way the Sledge controls are laid out. They all transmit CC. It look like it would make a great controller for software synths. I wish the IO was on the back.

It has aftertouch. I wonder if the keyboard feels any good.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Purchased a Kurzweil K2600 yesterday on eBay. It's going to replace my K2500.

Geez, Dave: that good enough? You ask, I buy!

:wave:

..Joe

Now you have to start some threads about the K2600.

"How do I move my patches from a K2500 to a K2600?"

"Will the pedal from my K2500 work with a K2600?"

"Why doesn't my K2600 sound as good as my old K2500?"

"How much should I ask for my K2500?"

"What is your favorite expansion for the K2600?"

and most importantly ...

"Will my K2600 sound better though a Ventilator?"

I used to own a Matrix-6R, I saw that M6 last weekend. They are great for polyphonic but they do not work very well for monophonic.

When you put the M6 in unison, all six voices fire in PHASE COHERENT which is irritating and not very pleasant. There's no way to tell the unit to fire only one voice.

And at least two places in the key range, there is an audio "glitch" that you REALLY hear when glide is on. It sounds like range switching in the DCOs.

I'm not a "synth expert", but I agree that the Matrix did not do "proper" monophonic and the machine clearly has limitations. However, I used to play solos on it in poly mode all the time. I preferred that over mono mode. Here's an excerpt from a recording that my old originals band released in 1990. OB Matrix through a Morley waw pedal, a Rat pedal and a 4x12 cabinet. I programmed the synth so that a hard velocity would bend one oscillator (final note of solo). It's pretty wanky! See what you think.

(Note: In Soundcloud, I'm "Piktor M", not "Piktor".)

Regarding the OP's question, I can relate to the comment that Jim made about allocating resources towards new synths when the paying gigs don't call for them. The group that I play with most often is also blues/R&B oriented and the roots-purists in the audience aren't exactly clamouring for Moog solos. Nevertheless, now and then I throw caution to the wind and play bendy, bluesy synth solos anyway and, if I use enough attitude, I usually get away with it without anyone in the band or audience giving me the stink-eye. Though I have been thinking lately about buying something new (i.e. reliable) that could allow me to find a convincing lead tone (i.e. does not use samples of a "metal guitar"), I'm actually considering bringing the Multimoog out to a couple of gigs to test the waters. If that pans out, I'm thinking SubPhatty, Voyager, or digital emulation of analog.

I think my next Synth score will be this Modular Analog synth Module:

two channel MIDI Interface

http://www.synthesizers.com/q174l.jpg

:thu:

Good choice. I'm thinking about adding another osc and filter. Cannot decide which filter to double up on. That will let me do 2 voices of 2xosc+filter.

http://www.synthesizers.com/q174l.jpg

:thu:

Good choice. I'm thinking about adding another osc and filter. Cannot decide which filter to double up on. That will let me do 2 voices of 2xosc+filter.

Sweet! Just curious--What is your current "Go-to" Filter now?

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

At this point in my life, I would rather spend my time trying to be a better musician. Piano and organ are each hard enough.

+1.

But one day when budget permits... modular here I come!

Gas attack. :sick::sick:

I just realized that a couple of those in parallel will provide the 5-6 midi cc's (cc1, cc2 cc4 and 2-3 others) of smoothable analog control, I told myself I could never find in modular land. Must not look. :laugh:

Wait, it reads only cc1, cc4 and cc7 right? So I would need a midi controller whose controllers send midi on two distinct channels, than have a device to remap the cc's. I am feeling a bit better but not much. :sick:

Archived