Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Next Nord Stage?

JeffKeys

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping for an EX upgrade for the Stage-2 - which I suspect is much more likely, as the Stage-2 was first shown at NAMM 2011, and the original Stage debuted in 2006, IIRC....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

As an aside, got to play the stage 2 at a vacation-spot guitar center (poured rain all day, had to do something!) and I really liked the action. Obviously not like (most) pianos but seemed playable for anything. Figures I like it, only out of my budget by a factor of 4 :)

Not sure when a new NS will occur, but as soon as it's announced I'm picking up the phone. I suspect there will be a lot of improvements. I've been using my Stage 88 (classic) since 2008 and it's always been at the heart of my rig. Love that thing!

Given the recent editions of some of Nord's other products (Electro, Piano, Lead), seems that a new Stage could be next in line. Fingers crossed....

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Nord Stage 2 has been such a watershed keyboard for e that I really can't envision what would make me upgrade to a NS3. Draw faders? Doubt it, since I have the ocean beach version. Deeper synth, sampler, more memory? Maybe. Improved organ and piano plus Vent killer sim? Probably. But it would not be a rush purchase for me in any event.

More memory to have more pianos loaded at a time, though that wouldnt tempt me to upgrade...more effects, pitch bend to more than two semitones, and the ability to choose different temperements...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

I have my doubts that the next Stage will get the physical drawbars. I get the feeling Nord are reserving them for their C series organs and 61-key Electros.

The Stage desperately needs to up its sampling game next time around, as those single-layer samples sound pretty crude compared with the competition. I would expect to see the memory increased all round.

It's also crying out for greater control of keyboard response curves. Those who complain about the 88 and 76-note keybeds on the Stage don't realise how subtle these can play when controlling outboard gear, while playing true pp on the Stage itself is challenging, to say the least.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Toss user-specified, programmable split points in the mix.

I hope Nord is reading this thread (and previous ones like it).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived