Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Module for Casio Privia

Jamkeys2000

After many years of toil sorting out gear (and great help from this forum - see my fka Andrewpiano posts), I now have adequate portable gear and am playing out in jams, and looking to join a band.

I am getting complaints from jammates that I need to upgrade (!@$%&*), so looking for ways to do this, while keeping my equipment lightweight. Thinking of combining my Casio Privia, with its nice feel (as a controller) with something that generates excellent sound quality. I've tried using it with SampleTank/midi, but that isn't going to cut it. Any ideas for a sound module (?) I could run my Privia through that would take the sound of that keyboard to a professional quality?

Thanks for any suggestions.

(Fyi, I've shopped around for other keyboards, and I don't see anything light enough and that I like soundwise - so trying this tack instead)

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Roland Integra 7 is one new model on the block. But that's $2K street.

What's your budget?

Another way of skinning that cat - buy Omnisphere for $479, but have a good laptop to run it on.

What's your budget?

Finally, specifically WHY are jammates telling you to upgrade? Is it your acoustic piano sound? Is it B3? Is it strings? What model Privia are you using? What is your downstream amplification?

Even Omnisphere through a crappy (though portable) speaker is going to sound bad.

What's your budget? In new gear, the leading contenders would be the Motif Rack XS and the Roland Integra-7, but they're not cheap. One issue you'll also need to address is patch selection on your module, since the PX-300 doesn't give you MIDI controller style functionality there. Which version of sampletank did you try... computer or iPad?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The truth is, I've been using the NP-30 at jams - maybe that is the problem. I'm considering switching to my Privia (heavier), but I figured the sound from that won't cut it either-but I'll be trying that out ( I have an Alesis mixer that I use at home that I can use to improve the sound of that).

As far as budget, I would say $1000 is the maximum - feel better with $500. If I knew what I was getting would be a very good solution (including lighter in weight), I am good with paying more.

The piano sound is my biggest problem. Also need a good organ sound.

With the jams I am at now, its a PA.

Casio Privia PX-300,  Roland Juno DS-61, Yamaha NP-30, Sampletank 4, Korg Module and Gadget (IPad Air), Roland Juno 106, Mackie Pro FX-6

$1000 for a module. What kind of controller features does the Casio have? The module market sucks. Anything decent is going to start at $1300 or so and there aint much to choose from.

I would look at a SP4-8 ot a Korg M50 or Yamaha MM8 ...... something like that. Unless you want to do the laptop route.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The truth is, I've been using the NP-30 at jams - maybe that is the problem.

It shouldn't be. Both piano samples in it are good; I think they're the same ones that are in the P95 (and if not, they're derived from the same samples). But what are your bandmates complaining about? Tone? Volume? Are you going through the PA in stereo or mono?

I'll need to look into the controller features for the Privia - I only know how to use it with basic midi features - plug it into my laptop and use Sampletank. My problem with Sampletank is that it does not work smooth enough with my keyboards. (e.g. clicking sounds from notes). From these posts, I'm thinking I need to dig into midi more with my keyboads...

I'm just impressed that you have band-mates that awar enough to give you grief over which technology you use ;-)

That budget is going to make it real tough...Casio is probably the best bang for the buck unless you can score something used.

What do you need to be able to cover sonically? Just "keyboard" sounds?

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

I think you could do with a used 61-note Motif (pick the model that fits your budget) as a second-tier keyboard. You can use your Privia as a MIDI controller for the Motif - set that in channel 1 and assign it to piano - then use the Motif's keyboard on any other MIDI channel to control organ or whatever sound you want. Add a two-tier keyboard stand and you will have a versatile and professional two-keyboard rig with all-around improved sound.

As D-Bon said, the NP-30 piano tone is good. I've used that AWM sample in various modules and keyboards since the 90's, and it's been the piano sound that bandmates and sound engineers have liked the best. So running it through a separate mixer, and adjusting tone controls (if the mixer has them) is important. The mixer will give you volume headroom with which to work. Also running it through the PA in mono - especially in a jam / rehearsal setting will likely get you the best results. Stereo can work, but I usually reserve that for concert sound settings; even then, mono is still sometimes the best choice for the gig.

The Privia - whichever model you have - should be able to sit fine in a band mix; if you adjust your mixer accordingly, you should be able to interchange the smaller NP30 (for rehearsals) with the Privia (for live playing) if you wish. I've used a Privia PX-330 live, and have been able to get it to sit in the mix as effectively as the Yamaha digital piano tone; just a matter of making EQ and level adjustments. Most digital pianos have onboard EQ (or at least a brilliance / brightness control), which helps when using a mixer that doesn't have EQ.

Regarding the additional tones that you want, I'm not sure if a module is the only option; and it doesn't sound like the computer / software instrument combination is that great for the situation either. Another choice that could work very well would be to add a second, small keyboard; one with a variety of tones. Plenty of those available in the price range mentioned, and all are relatively light and compact. The Korg Krome 61, and Yamaha MX49 / 61 are excellent choices; the Roland VR-09 (which is just about hitting the streets) offers drawbar control for its organ section - plus some additional useful features. Any of those mentioned will give you a compliment of solid bread-and-butter sounds - the B3's and strings mentioned, plus a lot more.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'll need to look into the controller features for the Privia - I only know how to use it with basic midi features - plug it into my laptop and use Sampletank.

On the PX-300, that's probably about all you can do, MIDI-wise. The Privia models designed as MIDI controllers (PX-3, PX-5) will allow you to call up different Sampletank (or whatever) sounds directly from the keyboard's front panel (assuming your sound source responds to standard MIDI Program Change commands). Also, they allow you to do things like split and layer internal and external sounds, octave-shift them, decide whether sustain pedal should be applied to the sound, apply pitch bend and modulation, etc.

My problem with Sampletank is that it does not work smooth enough with my keyboards. (e.g. clicking sounds from notes).

Clicking sounds usually means you have to increase the buffer size. The downside is that will also increase latency.

I like Jim's idea of putting an unweighted board over your Casio that effectively doubles as a sound module. Possibly a Yamaha MX or MOX6, though, as opposed to a Motif, which, even if you found a cheap used one, wouldn't meet your low weight criteria so well. You could also look at the forthcoming Roland VR-09, or the new Korg lightweight pieces, Krome and Kross, all under $1k. The Roland would probably be strongest for organ (by virtue of its drawbar control, if nothing else). I tend to like Yamaha for the pianos, but it's subjective, and you might be fine with any of them.

But if you want to stick with a module, you might look at a used Motif Rack XS or ES or one of the Rolands that take SRX cards which allow you to put better piano sounds in them. The XV-2020 is nicely compact. These don't have the strongest organ capabilities, but are certainly beyond what you have available in your PX-300 or NP-30. Also, if you happen to own an iPad, the GarageBand organ is pretty nice.

I also agree with D-Bon and Alan that the NP-30 piano is pretty decent, though I like the ES/XS Motif pianos better.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good points, Scott. Looks like you, Jim, and I cross-posted - with the second tier keyboard suggestion. The module suggestions, if that idea works out to be best for the OP, are spot-on. The XV-2020 is a great choice, as are either of the Motif Modules. Korg also has some older, half-rack modules that turn up used, on occasion. The X5-DR comes to mind immediately; but there was also an N-series module as well.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

What are you playing through? The gear you have should sound just fine, through the right rig. If you're using a crappy keyboard combo amp, that's the problem, not the Yamaha or Privia.

Just saying "PA" doesn't answer the question.

Most of us don't rely on the PA for our stage monitors.

Because of these posts, I now have more confidence in playing live with the NP-30 and Privia, which is great because I feel comfortable playing them. I will probably add my mixer live, and think about adding a second unweighted keyboard rather than a sound module.

Right now, I am playing in jams and use the amps/PA they have. But I'm hearing that that should be something I think about also.

I just got a QSC K8 powered speaker to play my keys through - up off the floor on a jack stand. Running keyboards through a guitar amp on the floor will not result in good sound. I know it's over your budget, but if you want organ, the Nord Electro 5-octave keyboard does great organ. You can also hook up a foot switch for leslie fast/slow. I spend a lot of time with one hand on the organ, the other on the piano. I much prefer that to a single keyboard with a split for piano/organ. I also use a volume pedal for organ. It's a big part of the sound. (The drawback to the Nord - at least the one I have - is that there's no mod wheel or pitch bender, which would suck for synth leads.) I suppose none of this would be critical to a jam band situation, but once you get beyond that and start having to play parts for actual songs, a two-keyboard setup would seem to be a necessity.

Wow, someone who posts with a question, and actually heeds the answers! Forum history! :wink:

I think you'll find all 3 things you mentioned are excellent take-away points:

- NP-30 and Privia are stageworthy (even if not intended for stage)

- 2nd tier with unweighted keys and perhaps more sounds

- good monitor rig

We disagree on a lot of things on this forum, but I bet you'll find a huge amount of agreement on these. Some may not like the 1/4" connector you might find on a Privia (IIRC), but I've used 1/8" jacks with success for years (though not now). Others don't want the lugging of two tiers, and still others need more than two, but if you can manage two tiers, few would argue with one piano style keyboard and one organ or synth. There are a lot of great candidates for that top tier, and which are best depends on what types of music you play.

Everyone agrees that there's no point in getting a good keyboard and playing it through a crappy rig.

The top candidates for monitor are QSC K8 or K10, and EV ZXA1, and there are a bunch of others. More if you're willing to buy used.

In any case, I suggest you start with the monitor rig and postpone a 2nd keyboard until the budget recovers.

Everyone agrees that there's no point in getting a good keyboard and playing it through a crappy rig.

I do agree with this but you said you'd be happier with a $500 spend. You're not getting a good powered speaker and more sounds for that.

Stick with your NP-30, get a little Korg Micro-X (2nd hand) and midi them up and add a couple of Behringer B210Ds.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived