Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedal for heavily distorted Leslie

analogholic

Hi guys,

Playing a KeyB Expander thru a Leslie 142. Sounds great!

But..

Is there any dist/OD pedal you could recommend for that wailing heavy distorted sound associated with Marshalls running thru Leslies?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The KeyB Solo gets a great Purple sound: Leslie to stop; distortion around 12:00/1:00, 8888xxxxx, with a little bit of upper partial for more bite.

Have not found an OD/distortion pedal to work well, especially if you're putting the distortion AFTER the leslie sim.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah, the KeyB Od is cool, but NOT the sound I´m after in some cases.

Chain would be: KeyB->"some pedal"->Leslie 142

Btw, people who used Marshalls with Leslies, how were they connected? Preamp out from Marshall to Leslie?

I guess you can´t run the amp into the Leslie amp?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

In my years of playing with boxes, I like Fulltones OCD pedal, and their Bassdrive II (which may no longer be available; the Fulldrive II will work as well). I liked their Bassdrive pedals because you could still blend in the fundamental (unaffected) signal with the distorted (affected) signal.

If you dont mind patrolling ePrey or Craigslist, look for the Chandler Tube Drive. John Novello I think still uses a Tubedrive Blue Tube rack distortion unit. And while Ive never used any of their stuff, SansAmp makes some pretty cool stuff that apparently works well enough for Geddy Lee to use for his overdrive sound.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

just remembered that I have a Boss Bass OD somewhere, ODB3?

Also the guitarist in one of the bands I play with has a Blackstar HT dual

http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-dual/

I´ll give those a spin

Arthur Schopenhauer

this just made me wonder. i've got a blackstar ht1 (little one watt valve amp) would it be safe to put a vk8 through that? as i'm assuming that the line outputs of the keyboard will be greater than that of my strat.

p.s sorry for hi-jacking your post, but my results could be useful to you :)

Yamaha MOX8, Roland VK8, LESLIE HL822 Woop woop!!!! and a MBP running PT10 and Omnisphere. My Blog.

Thanks for the tips.

The Blackstar and the Boss mentioned above sounded like total CRAP !!!

Tony, I think I start to understand what you mean by OD-pedals in this case. The KeyB internal distorsion worked the best by far.

Guess I have to try some more stuff...

@Allister No hi-jacking whatsoever man...

Your problem will be that the distorsion will be AFTER the Leslie sim which is not what you want.

Arthur Schopenhauer

+1 for the Art preamp..should be like $20-25...very organic gain..plus you can experiment with 12au7/at7/ax7 swaps for more or less gain, smoother harmonics etc...was using it with mu OB3 until I got the Vent.

Only down side is that it does not turn on and off like a stompbox..you must adjust the gain on the fly if you wanna use it live and change levels of distortion...

Archived