Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurlitzer 200 amp upgrade Ken Rich or Vintage Vibe?

Gary75

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided against changing my Wurly amp, but I've never had a noise problem, and it just sounds so damn good I don't want to mess with it, but if I did want to do it, I would trust Tim Warneck and accept that his product was worth whatever he charged for it.

http://www.retrolinear.com/web-store/warneck-research.aspx

His Varivibe is pretty cool too.

Another option to consider is to rebuild the existing amplifier. Replace filter caps, coupling caps (if needed), etc. Vintage Vibe has rebuild kits, including one kit option labelled "hiss killer". If you are handy or if you know a good tech, it's worth considering. I think VV will do the rebuild as well (send only the amp PCB). The original amps are special in their own right. Heck if you decide not to rebuild, I'd be interested in your original preamp board.

Tim Warneck (Retrolinear) has done extensive work on my 1959 Hammond C3 and Leslie 122. It was great sounding. Now, it is is stunning. He also worked on my D6 and likewise brought it to life. I simply can't recommend him highly enough. He is super smart, unpretentious, and his ear and electronics expertise is unparalleled. Finally, he prices his services fair and square.

If you are using a Wurly for recording, you must use his preamp and tremolo mod. Finally, he is a wizard at Moog synth restoration.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

I bought the VV kit, made very little difference to be honest. It's not hum as I disconnected the pickup bar from the amp. It's purely hiss. It's hiss once you get past about 70 percent on the volume. There seems a lot of support for the Warneck products, so ill probably stump up the extra cash and go for it.

I have to agree with B3boy about VV. I bought what was touted as a mint Rhodes suitcase with Dyno.

Not so much. It turned out to be a Frankenstein.

It had had more bad work done on it than a plastic surgery addicted stripper.

Tim Warneck brought it back to life.

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

If Ken sells it, the unit has proved its mettle. I've recently spent some quality time in Ken's shop, and I would trust his instincts and experience without a second thought. Go with the Warneck.

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 4 weeks later...
Just wanted to add more support for Tim. He removed the foam from my 1974 Hammond A-105, and his work is impeccable. He's a perfectionist, exceptionally knowledgeable, friendly, and honest. I can't say enough good things about him or the quality of his work. He's also a dealer for many products, and has great deals. Check him out at Retrolinear.com.

• 2 years later...

If you are RECORDING- one thing I've done VERY effectively with my original old and moldy 214A is to simply judiciously use noise reduction after recording. If you don't overdo it, you can get a pristine sound without getting that noise reduction weirdness happening. Adobe Audition and many other recording softwares have excellent noise reduction these days. In a mix, or even solo, used right, you would never know.

In my experience:

1) VV preamp is much more furry, gritty....a hot rod

2) Warneck is more clean, uncolored

Both are good in their own way.

Both have an equally low noise floor, but the character and color are different.

I haven't had any dealings with Tim, but my colleagues who have tell me he has the highest integrity.

I've dealt with VV for repairs and plan to buy one of their EPs (Forte 7 got in the way of that for q1 2016).

Depends on your preference.

IMHO it is win-win

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

"hiss killer" sounds a lot like "noise gate with EQ" to me. You may have these in your rack already.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• 4 months later...

I have a VERY quiet all original 200 amp for sale. See ebay

Wurlitzer 200 Electric Piano Amp

By the way, I've purchased the Warnick Retrolinear amp- it sounds exactly like the original, with slightly higher output, hence a LITTLE less noise for the same given volume. The differences are not as great as one might think. The biggest difference in reducing noise was simply to add the $50 reed bar shield over the reed tone bars- that eliminated 90% of the previous noise.

Both the original and the retrolinear take about 10 minutes max to drop in and install.

Yes, in the end I decided to leave the amp upgrade and install the reed bar shield and an led pilot light on my 200.

I'm just finishing up with lubricating the action on someone's 200A and that piano runs louder than my 200. Mines from 1968 according to the date stamp underneath so I guess some of the components could be out of tolerance and the 200A that's here could be 12-15 years younger.

I don't know if it's just my piano, but I prefer it's sound over this 200A. It breaks up and just sounds more defined than the 200A.

Archived