Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

As for gigging, I might take it out later next week, too busy this weekend. It's 24lbs so it's easy even if 88 keys makes it long and bulky. The outputs are nicely marked which is a plus in low-light places. I still don't understand the need why Casio and other keyboard manufacturers just can't bake in the power supply into the unit, it's a small one and I think there should be plenty of space. Suspect FCC regulation issues with interference being one secret reason for this kind of design.

Maybe one issue with 24lbs is that this unit could easily wobble around with light keyboard stands so having a good stand is a must. The included sustain pedal does its job but I prefer more piano-like sustain pedals that I will use instead.

Would have been nice if they included a Casio-branded USB memory stick but I could get cheap sticks around the corner at the local office store.

There are two headphone outputs, suspect this is for teacher/student training purposes. I don't need it but it does not hurt to have it.

PS: For the next version, Casio should put some kind of handle somewhere for easier transportation, it's a very square system with nothing to grep your hands around. Such an opening might also be extended for hooking let's say iPad stands or something similar if there are possible hooks included.

Thanks for all the updates you've given us. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these babies (fell in love with it at NAMM in January)... once I do, I'll do some video reviews on it, like I did with the PX-350.

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In version 1.10 the sustain pedal will be switched to rotary speed control and the 2nd pedal is brake for the organ stage settings.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Can someone who has a PX5S test something on yours for me?

I'm getting an error when I try to load a midi file into the keyboard memory from a USB stick (User Guide p.32, Loading Data from a USB Flash Drive to Digital Piano Memory operation) that reads "no file...press exit" when selecting Song Seq data type (or any other selection for that matter). Are you getting the same error, or does it load?

My midi file is in the MUSICDAT folder (formatted on the PX5)and is playable with the SMF file player. The folder & files are not read-only as determined on my PC.

I called Tech Support and the rep was unable to nail down the problem as he doesn't have a PX5 to test on. I asking the group of a few owners, just so I'll know if it's MY PX5 or all. Maybe the editor when it arrives will solve the problem too.

Thanks guys!

Rick

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Or the upcoming firmware update. Sorry I won't be able to check on mine for some time.

Also, you may want to share the file you're trying to use so people can test if it's something about that file.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks, Joe. I really think it's a folder issue as I put 3 more midi files in the MUSICDAT folder, and there's no seeing any of the files in the folder in this load into memory procedure on my PX5, but they are see-able in the Playing Back a MIDI File Stored on a USB Flash Drive operation, p.34.

and yeah, maybe the update will fix it too.

Have you tried putting the file outside the folder?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hell, I'm game...nope didn't work. Must not be a folder read issue then, huh? There is verbiage on p32 (right above the load procedure) as to the requirement of files being located in the MUSICDAT folder anyway.

Hell, I'm game...nope didn't work. Must not be a folder read issue then, huh? There is verbiage on p32 (right above the load procedure) as to the requirement of files being located in the MUSICDAT folder anyway.

Yes, also with a specific naming convention, at least for the WAV files, maybe MIDI have something similar as a requirement?

Yes, also with a specific naming convention, at least for the WAV files, maybe MIDI have something similar as a requirement?

I'm starting to think that loading a mid file into memory may not be possible at all. There are no instructions in the manual for playback of a .mid file from internal memory. Which really sux. I'd have to carry a backup USB stick and hope they don't get lost or damaged.

Whether the upcoming editor will "convert" a .mid file into a Song Seq file - or whatever for playback remains to be seen.

Whether the upcoming editor will "convert" a .mid file into a Song Seq file - or whatever for playback remains to be seen.

OK, Mike M. has confirmed that the editor can convert a track of a midi file into a Phrase for playback from the internal memory and that a midi file can only be streamed from the USB port or stick.

Hi Mike. I ordered my PX-5S from Guitar Center a month ago, and was told they would be receiving some on April 15th. Apparently that didn't happen, and they don't know when it will. Do you?

Thanks,

--mark

Hi Mike. I ordered my PX-5S from Guitar Center a month ago, and was told they would be receiving some on April 15th. Apparently that didn't happen, and they don't know when it will. Do you?

Thanks,

--mark

If I were you I'd cancel the order and call Kraft. Got mine with a Gator case and free shipping for $999.

Casio PX-5S...StudioLogic VMK 161 Organ Plus...

This thread is pretty awesome, and props to Mike Martin for being so active in answering questions. My question is this; I currently own a px330 and play in a reggae band. I'm looking to upgrade to the px5s but want to make sure the organ sounds have been improved. I've loved what I've heard of the new EPs and Clav sounds but haven't heard any samples released of the organ patches. Are the organs the same as the px330? I went and played the px350 at Guitar Center a couple days ago and the organs seemed the same as my px330. This is very important to my decision because I mainly want to upgrade my organ and EP sounds(love the AP sounds on my px330)

Organs sound like typical rompler organs. A clonewheel, it isn't.

Yes. But I could see cases where one could use them for the few songs that need an organ. When I experimented with them, pushing the sliders caused all kinds of weird non-organ sounds, but keeping them within the limits made them usable in a band situation. As with anything else, this is subjective so the best is to test it out at any local store that hopefully soon will carry them.

I'm using "tremelo organ" on a lot of songs live on my px330. It's OK but not great by any means and the EPs are below average in my opinion. I know the new EPs on the px5s are MUCH improved but I really just want to know if the organs are the same as the px330's. If so, I'll be looking at buying something else instead. The Korg Krome has some pretty nice sounding organs and is only a little bit more $$$

I found the PX3 to be much more usable for organ than either the PX330 or PX350. But the PX5 should be the best of the bunch. If nothing else, it has a better rotary effect, and some pseudo-drawbar setups where you can use the sliders to bring in different "footage" elements.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There should be different and better organ sounds in the 5S. The PX-3 had different sounds than other Privias. The PX-330's main strength is its AP piano sounds. The other sounds may or may not be to your liking. Many are OK layered with another sound.

When you need to play a ton of organ, an organ is the best choice.

+1

or at least a decent clonewheel

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'm sorry, but I don't think a PX5s is your best choice if better organ is at the top of your wish list. How about a used Nord Electro 3?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I'm sorry, but I don't think a PX5s is your best choice if better organ is at the top of your wish list. How about a used Nord Electro 3?
Or a used Korg CX3/Ventilator combo, which can be had for around your budget? Although it is a single manual, it is a dedicated B3 clone w/ drawbars, etc.
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

Archived