Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

whitenoise

Hammonddave, I have said the exact same thing here... Why do you feel the need to post a quote of mine here and further waste our time....?

Because you have not said it here... In fact, you continually praise this as a "performance keyboard"... Please don't waste our time with attempting to recreate history...

If I start a VR-09 hints and tips thread do you promise not to participate???

Hey, I won't guarantee or give up my rights of free speech for anything...

Let's just say that not being an owner of that instrument and totally uninterested in tips and tricks... I would have to be really bored to troll that subject... and I have better thanks to do.

I don't recall ever putting those two word together (Performance keyboard) please stop twisting my words thank you!

You of all people should realize that its possible to love an instrument that has flaws! Key click and leakage were both flaws in the original Hammond organ... And here we are 60 years later trying to perfectly recreate those flaws!

I really like this $999 keyboard! Is it flawed? ABSOLUTELY and I've been the first one to report each and every problem I've encountered right here in this thread!!! So don't suggest that I'm continually praising this keyboard!! I have been absolutely honest and forthright in this thread!

I think it's about time you just gave it up Dave!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Lol.. You guys are awesome. Like I said before.. now 61 pages in and the vr09 still generating a ton of emotion. The new thread will certainly be less entertaining. lol

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Hammonddave, I have said the exact same thing here... Why do you feel the need to post a quote of mine here and further waste our time....?

Because you have not said it here... In fact, you continually praise this as a "performance keyboard"... Please don't waste our time with attempting to recreate history...

If I start a VR-09 hints and tips thread do you promise not to participate???

Hey, I won't guarantee or give up my rights of free speech for anything...

Let's just say that not being an owner of that instrument and totally uninterested in tips and tricks... I would have to be really bored to troll that subject... and I have better thanks to do.

I don't recall ever putting those two word together (Performance keyboard) please stop twisting my words thank you!

You of all people should realize that its possible to love an instrument that has flaws! Key click and leakage were both flaws in the original Hammond organ... And here we are 60 years later trying to perfectly recreate those flaws!

I really like this $999 keyboard! Is it flawed? ABSOLUTELY and I've been the first one to report each and every problem I've encountered right here in this thread!!! So don't suggest that I'm continually praising this keyboard!! I have been absolutely honest and forthright in this thread!

I think it's about time you just gave it up Dave!

Oh please don't force me to pull more of your quotes, Craig... The great thing about threads is that they all here.. for everyone to see. I like you too much to do this...

Let's just call it a day and move on. And please stop telling other members of this forum that they are not "on topic". The topic is the VR-09... That is what we are discussing...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Lol.. You guys are awesome. Like I said before.. now 61 pages in and the vr09 still generating a ton of emotion. The new thread will certainly be less entertaining. lol

Sorry HDA... Our chin-wag is over...

...at least my side of it... LOL

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Ok need help. Casio cdp 100 midi out to vr midi in....no sound . Play vr key.s all is ok. Vr midi mode set to kybd. _AFAIK cdp sends ch 1 .
Set the vr09 to mode 2 and set your Casio to channel 4 for straight control. If you want to do split manual mode set the vr to keyboard and Casio to channel 3 for lower or 4 for upper. I struggled thru that a bit myself. Hopefully that works for ya.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Dave I really think that you're the one who should be embarrassed here.. And you're right its all here for everyone to see!

It seems that it doesn't matter how many problems I point that the VR-09 has, right here in this thread, if I say "but I still really like it" I'm somehow being misleading?

That's idiotic!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Two men enter. One man leaves.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-beyond-thunderdome/photo-archive/publicity/mad-max-gathering-at-thunderdome.jpg

I LOVE IT!!!! Thanks, I needed that...

Ok need help. Casio cdp 100 midi out to vr midi in....no sound . Play vr key.s all is ok. Vr midi mode set to kybd. _AFAIK cdp sends ch 1 .
Set the vr09 to mode 2 and set your Casio to channel 4 for straight control. If you want to do split manual mode set the vr to keyboard and Casio to channel 3 for lower or 4 for upper. I struggled thru that a bit myself. Hopefully that works for ya.

I shall add: when the vr-09 is set to "keyboard" mode, the external midi controller can only control the lower manual. you have to make a split if you want to make produce a sound in this mode. If you don't make a split, there are no lower manual, thus the external controller does not make any sound. Note that you can use the exact same sound for both the upper and the lower part.

Also, when an external controller is plugged into the midi in port and you make a split, the entire vr-09 keyboard is dedicated to the upper part and the entire external controller is dedicated to the lower part.

I find that "mode 2" is more flexible, but it implies that you can quickly change the transmit channel of your external controller if you want to use splitted registrations and non-splitted registrations.

VR-09 is the most polarizing keyboard ever released!

Not even close. Were you around for the Oasis Wars?

Nope. Just give this thread another two months! If it would not have been Roland, it would have been some other Japanese company offering a $999 keyboard with flaws... Maybe this is cyclical. Also, it's pretty easy to avoid it -- release good products.

Roland is particularly infuriating to many of us precisely because we were such huge fans in the glory days of the 80's.

There's no fury like that of a spurned lover...

I'm indeed one of the Roland fan boys back in the eighties. I guess I'm a spurned lover, too. And crazy, been trying to purchase a new Roland keyboard for the last three years. Still trying, maybe in future.

Roland is particularly infuriating to many of us precisely because we were such huge fans in the glory days of the 80's.

There's no fury like that of a spurned lover...

I'm indeed one of the Roland fan boys back in the eighties. I guess I'm a spurned lover, too. And crazy, been trying to purchase a new Roland keyboard for the last three years. Still trying, maybe in future.

Let me see... Performed with a VK7 for 3 years...a JV1080 for six years (loved that synth) and an A90EX for about five years (which is my all time favorite keyboard controller)...

Maybe its because I compare everything Roland has released in the past several years to the tank construction of the A90... which keeps me continually disappointed in the build and ergonomic quality their current products (VR-09 included)...

I agree with a lot of the comments about Roland. They used to be great innovators, but of late they seem to be masters of regurgitation, and of reducing specs wherever possible.

That said, although the VR may not be particularly innovative, sound wise, it is quite a bold move to gather all the components that keyboard players need into one easy-to-operate keyboard, and market it at an affordable price. They obviously haven't done themselves (or us) any favors by (deliberately, IMO) hobbling certain aspects of the board, but kudos at least for the good things on the VR, such as drawbars, VA synth and plenty of hands-on control.

As for the silly teasing on the Roland Blog with regard to the new synth library, only for it to amount to nothing for VR owners, it just seems to be indicative of this rather disdainful attitude toward customers. I would advise anyone considering a purchase to base their decision SOLELY on what the VR is, and can do, right now - flaws and bugs included - as I don't trust Roland to necessarily deliver anything further for the board.

Hey, how 'bout that RD-64!

Not really the right thread for discussing the RD, but I just sent mine back. I liked the main piano sound a lot, I also liked the raw Vintage EP sound, and I could live with the action. However, although I could get by with 64 notes for band gigs (making some use of the octave switches), I found the span a little too cramped. The lack of control over effects was also limiting, and the Clavs/Wurli sounds were not very good, IMO. I may get an FP-50 instead.

Yep, I've told myself again and again "that's the last Roland I'll ever buy".

A Super JX10 was my first...no MIDI exclusive to save/load sounds with an external device ticked me off.

Then the S-550's open architecture software was supposed to keep it from going obsolete for many years....support immediately dropped when the S-7xx series came out. That was to be my last new piece of Roland gear for 25 years, however...

Came into a little extra cash while GASsing for a clonewheel, but not enough dough to cover a CX3 or an XK-1 at the time, and a good deal on a semi-rare Rhodes VK-1000 happened my way (Roland bought the name so they just HAD to make something with the moniker...they should have built a decent EP instead), but due to its unique sound, it never quite calmed my clonewheel cravings.

Then a stupid cheap deal fell in my lap about 7 years ago on a Fantom X6 when I really wanted a Motif, but what you gonna do? Ended up really digging the Fantom and wound up programing many sounds that had become essential for the the original rock group, so recently swapped it out for an X7; 76 keys are the Goldilocks size for me.

Joined a classic rock cover band and really needed a better organ sound. Then I saw Mr. Fortner's YT posting from NAMM 13 and knew the VR09 was exactly my niche. It has some issues but has already seen 7 gigs and has greatly improved the band's sound. Sure would like to see Roland fix some things with an OS update or this might really be the last new piece of Roland gear I ever buy.

Thanks got it to work

Now another issue, the master kbd CDP sends transposed midi notes to VR but the (Organ mode ONLY) doesnt play it transposed :(

I shall add: when the vr-09 is set to "keyboard" mode, the external midi controller can only control the lower manual. you have to make a split if you want to make produce a sound in this mode. If you don't make a split, there are no lower manual, thus the external controller does not make any sound. Note that you can use the exact same sound for both the upper and the lower part.

Also, when an external controller is plugged into the midi in port and you make a split, the entire vr-09 keyboard is dedicated to the upper part and the entire external controller is dedicated to the lower part.

I find that "mode 2" is more flexible, but it implies that you can quickly change the transmit channel of your external controller if you want to use splitted registrations and non-splitted registrations.

As for the silly teasing on the Roland Blog with regard to the new synth library, only for it to amount to nothing for VR owners, it just seems to be indicative of this rather disdainful attitude toward customers. I would advise anyone considering a purchase to base their decision SOLELY on what the VR is, and can do, right now - flaws and bugs included - as I don't trust Roland to necessarily deliver anything further for the board.

Wise words indeed...

As an owner of a VR-09, Im very happy with it, despite it having some quirks and design issues that are limiting its capabilities. As one of the first to own a VR-09, I have tried to be helpful and forthright about the product, I have highlighted each and every problem I have encountered as well as my thoughts on the product. There is no question that despite the issues, I am still VERY happy that I made this purchase. I think its a great instrument, with tremendous potential, and there is simply no instrument that compares to it for twice the price. Kudos to Roland for making such a bold move in releasing the VR-09, at this low price point!

I have tried to keep this thread on track, and I appreciate the PMs and thanks that I have received from a number of you for my efforts in this regard, but Im done subscribing to this thread now, its filling up my inbasket with off topic nonsense that Im no longer interested in debating. Its time to move on. I think that for me the best place to carry on constructive discussion of this product is in a VR-09 Hints and Tips thread and I will be starting that shortly.

Those of you who hate Roland, or dont like the VR-09, returned your orders, think that the world is going to end because the Percussion goes through the C/V, or think that by announcing their intention to release expansion sounds for the VR-09 that Rolands customer service is awful, can stay here and bitch and moan about things as much as you want.

Those of you who are interested in productive discussion about the product (and I think we all know what that means) are welcome to come join the VR-09 Hints and Tips thread.

Craig MacDonald

Bye... We will miss you....

I wish u both could just get along &the cntinue postng. But I too am passionate about music &the my performing ig

Ps

any clues on how to get the organ mode to responde to ext controller midi transpose

Somehow, I doubt a new thread will filter out any dissenters. Besides, that's essentially what a forum is for...free expression of opinion on a given topic.

I agree this new V-Combo is a fantastic bang for the buck. And all owners whole heartedly agree that Roland should fix the OS bugs. There is plenty of feedback on this thread as well as the Roland blog to where the design team should have a clear picture of what would give end users satisfaction and possibly bring this board to potential legendary status and surely exponentiate sales.

Craig, your communications to Roland are probably the most constructive out there. More folks should follow your example. Thank you.

any clues on how to get the organ mode to responde to ext controller midi transpose

Are you sure that the notes are transposed ? How are they transposed ? Did you try sniffing the MIDI output of your controller to see what messages are sent ? Tell us what kind of message you see when playing.

I think that the organ will not process pitch bend messages (contrary to the synth section for example).

Yeah right...

I said the "world was going to end" because I first reported that the VR 09 had vibrato in the percussion.

And of course, the fact that I reported this has been labeled "bitching and moaning" and all kinds of other descriptives.....

It amazes me that certain owners of this instrument couldn't even hear it.And that includes the Roland designers. But I guess to some, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter that much to me ( the vibrato in the percussion ), but when someone tries to repress our ideas with all kinds of value judgements about our contributions.... I just want to point it out.

I have not lowered myself to engaging in some of the name calling I have been subjected to. It's not the first time it has happened on this forum.

But I am not going to take it without standing up to it, and saying something about it.

I am sick of getting called names. When I am getting called names,it makes me less inclined to contribute. And I don't want to see this happen to someone else.

I want to hear your contributions ( about gear, music etc.) whether I think they are " positive " or negative". Until it gets to the level of personal insult.

I hope some of you can see this for what it is.

By the way, upon going back and reading the " Forum Policies" statement by Stephen Fortner, the his first statement to forum members regaring Online Citizenship to refrain from " ad hominem attacks", or attacks on another person's character.

I have to say that this line has been crossed repeatedly in this thread. I hope the moderators are taking note.

I totally agree that personal attacks has nothing to do with VR-09. Plus I think it's always good to hear all opinions about products. I also believe readers are intelligent and could filter out nonsense from important information.

I, too, love to read all opinions when I'm searching for a new board. Naturally, I tend to mentally filter out or downgrade those which are not based on direct experience with the instrument in question, but sometimes even those can add a perspective that hasn't occurred to anyone before.

All threads tend to become diffuse as time goes on and there's little new information coming out, and then, usually, they die a natural death. Problems seem to arise if people become too invested in the thread itself, and perceive sharp responses as personal attacks, even if they weren't intended that way. Hyperbole can also be a bit of a red rag to some people. I think we should all take a step back if we think a post is inflammatory, and ask ourselves if we're possibly becoming a little proprietary about a thread, or a bit too precious about our own contributions.

On the other side of the coin, I think it's good to recognize when someone is offering a lot of valuable insights, and devoting a good deal of their time to helping those that come here for advice. If you sift through the banter and thread-rage above, there's a host of really useful stuff here, and that's principally down to two or three main contributors. Thanks guys!