Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Van der Graaf Generator Concert

HammondDave

Found this 2006 concert on Rockplast... For those who want to hear quality CLASSIC prog, or as Peter Hammill describes it... "British Underground" ... here is is...

This band truly defined "art rock" to me... Hugh Banton's playing is exquisite.

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vcombo!

Yes, and under Hugh's fingers.. sounds amazing...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

At 29:35 they play "Man-Erg"... one of my favorites...

I love this band (can you tell?) :cool:

Hugh Banton, aside from his great playing, inspires with his custom tones. He used to mod his boards quite extensively back in the day.

Then there was the custom built HB1 organ, I wonder where that is now?

I have a decent little collection of VDGG stuff, PM me if you'd like to know more....

Love, love, love Van Der Graaf. When I was a pup in Philly I worked at a record store (remember them?) which specialized in British imports. Couldn't wait for the next VDG or Peter Hammill solo LPs to arrive before the US versions came out. And Hugh is just a monster.

The same guys 40 years ago...

The thing that really inspires me about them is that since their 2005 reformation, they have resolutely stayed fresh and original in their work, consistently released worthwhile material, and not relied on a "golden oldies" structure to their live shows, instead tending to perform at least 50% new music in concert. They have challenged both their audience, and themselves.

There are a good few other bands of similar vintage (step forward, Yes) who would do well to take note if they want to remain more than an oldies act- Van Der Graaf Generator show that it can be done.

The thing that really inspires me about them is that since their 2005 reformation, they have resolutely stayed fresh and original in their work, consistently released worthwhile material, and not relied on a "golden oldies" structure to their live shows, instead tending to perform at least 50% new music in concert. They have challenged both their audience, and themselves.

There are a good few other bands of similar vintage (step forward, Yes) who would do well to take note if they want to remain more than an oldies act- Van Der Graaf Generator show that it can be done.

For better or worse, Van Der Graaf isn't "burdened" with a library of well known hits they "must" play. ;-)

But along the same lines, I thought the recent Ian Anderson concert was terrific. They did the new album in its entirety, they did 1972's Thick as a Brick in its entirety, and that was it, except for a brief encore. And the band was great, the performance was suitably theatrical in a classic Jethro Tull style, and he cleverly worked in a stage actor who doubled as an additional singer to support him on the stuff his voice unfortunately can't really manage anymore.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

There's a VK-7 under the VR-760 too

I've only seen a bit of it, but he appears to have a clean organ sound on bottom and a dirty one on top. Interesting approach to "double manual." I'd also be curious to know about the rest of the rig, if there is any... i.e. external processing, amplification.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For better or worse, Van Der Graaf isn't "burdened" with a library of well known hits they "must" play. ;-)

But along the same lines, I thought the recent Ian Anderson concert was terrific. They did the new album in its entirety, they did 1972's Thick as a Brick in its entirety, and that was it, except for a brief encore. And the band was great, the performance was suitably theatrical in a classic Jethro Tull style, and he cleverly worked in a stage actor who doubled as an additional singer to support him on the stuff his voice unfortunately can't really manage anymore.

I must give that a shot, I must admit it passed me by at the time.

I take your point on their lack of commercial history, but I do feel that the fans who turn up to any gig of a band from an older generation, often want the old stuff they love already, hits or not. It's what they remember from their youth.

The last VDGG gig I saw in 2011 had an edginess to it that I'd normally feel from a much newer band- and I put that down to their bravery in playing lots of new material.

Glad to see fans of these somewhat unsung heroes of art/prog on here! They really are unique. :-)

I must give that a shot, I must admit it passed me by at the time.

It's better to see an Ian Anderson concert than a Jethro Tull concert (he/they tour both ways)... the song selection will generally be more interesting. When it is promoted as Jethro Tull, they do more of the hits people expect. He can get away without doing Aqualung in an Ian Anderson show, but not in a Jethro Tull show. I think it's an interesting "unintended consequence" of the dichotomy between what has basically come to be defined as the tours with Martin Barre and the tours without.

There's a VK-7 under the VR-760 too

I've only seen a bit of it, but he appears to have a clean organ sound on bottom and a dirty one on top. Interesting approach to "double manual." I'd also be curious to know about the rest of the rig, if there is any... i.e. external processing, amplification.

Hugh Banton is known for his technical ability to process his organ sound with external gear. He designs classical organs!

Check it out: Hugh's Website

I doubt that what we are hearing is stock... I know that my VK7 never sounded that good... But who knows?

From an interview with Hugh... Love his answer...

Tim: What do you think will be the next development in keyboards?

Hugh: Your guess is as good as mine... I do not take much interest in keyboards - they seem to get more and more silly as far as I'm concerned - next year there will be 8,750 sounds on board and they'll just have more and more memory and they'll sound more or less the same. They're actually less interesting now, I find, than when the DX7 came out - it was all artificial and you were actually creating new sounds - all the keyboards now are just based on samples and loops in ever-more-complex configurations - press one key and an entire film soundtrack comes out! Dreadful. You know, I judge a keyboard by 'Can you play it?'. To actually find enough sounds that you can play as opposed to just make the right noises would be a miracle. There are some with fifteen violin sounds, but most of those you can't actually play because they're too slow, or too this, or the other - 'Oh, God I've found one I can actually play!' - you know, they're useless. They must be written by idiots, half of them.

Hugh's Equipment List... "...leads to unbelievable sonic chaos!"

Page 1

Page 2

Cool links, I have that booklet but hadn't read it for a long time.

Here's a link to an interview with Hugh on the eve of the "World Record" tour- which would feature the introduction of his custom Hammond nicknamed "HB1"- this had additional tone generators built in and is described in some detail during the interview. Very interesting stuff (especially the 25" RTR speakers :o ).

Hugh Banton Interview 1976

• 2 years later...
Zombie alert! I just found the top video by chance on YT and did a quick Svengle to see if it had been discussed here before. It had. But it still rocks. That's all. Love Banton's organ playing.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I saw VDG in concert in 1973. At the time, I thought they were great if a tiny bit cold for my tastes. Later I realized that that coldness was one of their trademarks.... and now, having not followed their late reunion, I listen to this concert and think they aren't cold at all!

I have to find my copy of "H to He" and check if they have changed, or I have... :)

I saw VDG in concert in 1973. At the time, I thought they were great if a tiny bit cold for my tastes. Later I realized that that coldness was one of their trademarks.... and now, having not followed their late reunion, I listen to this concert and think they aren't cold at all!

I have to find my copy of "H to He" and check if they have changed, or I have... :)

"H to HE" is a masterpiece of prog (IMHO). I first heard it when it came out. Being a huge King Crimson fan (saw them live in '69) I picked up a copy of "H to HE" when I saw the Fripp played on it. Boy, did this album blow me away! "House With No Door"... talk about existential art... "Killer"... My god!

Followed Peter Hammill throughout his career. Hugh Banton is amazing. I still listen to their music. It defined what Prog was all about.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPDvjUYFy4

Huge fan of the group and of Hammill's solo career, which follows along similar lines to the solo career of Steve Hackett from Genesis.

Search for his "rock opera" based on Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher", which utilizes Lene Lovich and Andy Bell (Erasure) in the lead roles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_of_the_House_of_Usher_(opera)

Chris Judge Smith was also one of Lene Lovich's main collaborators on her groundbreaking early albums (Lene Lovich and Nina Hagen were on a similar trajectory, which then got copped by Cyndi Lauper and brought to the mainstream).

I consider Van Der Graf Generator to be one of the three most underrated "progressive" bands of the 70's, along with Colosseum II and Soft Machine (both of which likewise spawned some pretty spectacular solo careers and follow-on groups).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Huge fan of the group and of Hammill's solo career...

I consider Van Der Graf Generator to be one of the three most underrated "progressive" bands of the 70's, along with Colosseum II and Soft Machine (both of which likewise spawned some pretty spectacular solo careers and follow-on groups).

And let's not forget Quatermass.

[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jBmfu0a1xpc

Archived