Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Electro 4 HP

Phil Aiken

Took delivery on this last weekend. Despite the recent thread concerned with harmonic beating in the raw organ tone, I opted for the 4 HP over the 3 HP for the extra piano (and sample)memory. This is replacing an Electro 3 61, so I am very familiar with that organ tone as well.

For my purposes - the Electro 3 has always served as a rehearsal board on its own, and also thrown on top of my VAX as sole sound source for gigs where setup time is scarce, or where the extra work to bring other stuff is not warranted.

Playing piano on the 61 was uncomfortable at best, and somewhat better triggering it from the VAX, but never great.

I've loaded in the Italian Grand XL, the large Bright Grand, and the large Romantic upright. I found myself sticking to the Italian for most of the piano tunes during rehearsal last night. I have to say that in combination with the weighted board, this is far and away the most satisfying Nord piano experience I have had. (Oh yeah - used to own a Stage 88 as well) The keyboard itself is much nicer for piano than my Stage's was.

As an alternative opinion to some others on the list - I find the organ overall an improvement from the 3. The key click is MUCH improved, and the Leslie Sim is better.

I understand some users' complaints about the patch management - but for me, the only thing I really miss is having drawbar presets selectable from the drawbuttons.

Overall very pleased - would have no problems playing a gig on this as a sole board, even though I can better every individual sound on it with my Mainstage rig.

This does for me what I always wanted my Nord's to do - provide a quick, light, decent bread and butter keyboard. I am fine with it being monotimbral and prefer the hammer keyboard to what they do with the Stage.

I do wish they would update the Wurly, though!!!

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The action is less spongy than my Stage. Firmer, more piano like. I think they were trying to hit some middle ground with the Stage (at least the generation I had) and were going more for a piano feel with this. Also, the key to sound connection seems much better on this. I don't know if that is a function of the physical keyboard itself, or the newer piano sounds or a combo of the 2.

Playing organ on this pianoish keyboard is obviously the compromise - but especially with the shallow trigger point set, it is workable for me. I would rather have that, than the reverse, like on my 61. If you were making it your main lower board, you could throw an unweighted controller above it for organ, but like I said, that is not my intended application for this board.....

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I wish they would update the clav!

I play much more Wurly than I do Clav....but yeah, you are right about that as well. They have released many Rhodes samples, and nothing new for the Wurly or Clav.

The hugest difference now between my mainstage rig and the Nord is the Wurly, and it something I use a lot.

Thanks for the action review. I was going to go with the Nord Piano eventually but your information makes me want to try both first. If there isn't much difference in action, the portability would be very convenient in the Electro. I only need piano and Rhodes so the organ action doesn't matter too much for my purposes.
http://www.tjjazzpiano.com (transcriptions, lessons, blog)

I have to say that in combination with the weighted board, this is far and away the most satisfying Nord piano experience I have had.

:thu:

Congratulations, Mr. Beethree!

Upon the advice of Eric, I purchased my NE3HP sight unseen from Sweetwater. It's been a pleasure to use & I would buy it again.

No wait. I would buy the NE4HP. :)

This is just a really cool board.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Congrats Beethree!

I'm looking to upgrade my NE3 SW73 to the latest version in the next month or so, and am also crossing my fingers that new EP sounds will be released to take advantage of the larger memory allocation.

I totally agree with you about controlling the Nord sounds from a decent weighted key action too. I'm currently using a Kawai MP8II at home - it makes such a difference to the expressiveness of the piano/EP sounds.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

My congrats, as well ! Sounds like great 'board for you, Beethree.

BTW, since picking up a Stage 2 last month gotta say I'm with Tony regarding the clavs. I can do a lot with programming, but it would be cool to see a new sample.

Also, a new Wurlitzer 200A sample would be great. Have seen lots of Rhodes offerings; a new Wurli or two would help. Live, I tend to go with the Wurli tone in my CP50; its variations have a great, organic 'vibe'.

Otherwise, seeing 'red' in the rig is a good thing. Having a ball programming / customizing this thing. :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'd love an NE3HP or NE4HP as rehearsal board (replacing my NE2/74), for short gigs, or below the NE2 for a compact 2-tier gig at jams. I wouldn't be able to use it to replace my MR76 in the soul band, for just a couple tunes where I need splits & layers. (Hope that baby keeps tickin'!)

I see NE3HP on ebay as low as $1900 with free shipping, but with NE4HP for only $2200, I'd go for the NE4HP. Plus $120 for the gig bag, of course. But since it doesn't work as an MR76 replacement, I probably can't sneak it past the purchasing department.

Archived