Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90XS MOX8 how different are keybeds?

EscapeRocks

Does the S90XS feel more piano like than the MOX8? I own the MOX8 and while it's keybed is not as robust, piano wise as my old CP33, I live with it.

However, I am seriously considering an S90XS for various reasons.

1. I can afford one right now

2. The MOX8 is great, and a beast with sounds, but with only 64 polyphony, I'm starting to hit limits the more complex I get with my performance layers.

3. I miss the, what was to me, excellent piano feel on my CP33.

So, while I can, I am thinking of upgrading. I don't need and XF8..much to much stuff for my needs and $$$

I'm also considering maybe going the CP300 route, and getting an MOX6 for the top board.

Heck, I'm even toying with getting a new Korg SV 88 with an MOX6.

So, my dilemma. I want to keep the Motif sounds, but I need a more robust keybed and polyphony if a keep a true workstation as my main 88 note board.

No, there's not an S90XS in a store I can play right now, so that's why I'm asking :)

Thoughts? suggestions?

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a very brief experience, I thought that the S90XS felt similar to the CP33 (though the CP33 is graded and the S90XS is balanced).

Other possible sources of Motif sounds, with 128 polyphony vs. the Mox' 64: Motif Rack XS, or the new MX49/61 keyboards. The MX49 might even fit right on top of the CP300 (which has decent MIDI controller functions).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thank you Scott,

I always value your opinion on the Yamaha stuff. The only thing that used to throw me off about the CP300 was the weight. However, since we don't play every weekend/every night, I can deal with the couple times a month exercise :)

Good idea.

Thanks again!

David

S90XS IMO doesn't have a piano feel. If that is what you want the CP300 action smokes it.

But I like the S90XS a lot. Twice the polphony and aftertouch. It is not a heavy action. ( My benchmark are Baldwin and Kawai pianos)

For the type of stuff I am doing where I am covering every genre imaginable I like it. It responds well for synth leads parts and it works for piano parts. I guess what I am trying to say is the action isn't piano like but it can do everything well.

Also if 4 control zones are enough it makes an excellent controller. It is also a well built unit. It is a true proline keyboard. I don't classify the MOX series in that catagory. My S90XS (while cased) took a spill down a flight of stairs. No problems. I wouldn't have faith in the circuit boards in the lighter units to hold up to that kind of abuse.

I do not have the frame of reference to compare it to the MOX8 action. Those are just my impressions of the S90XS. It is a great swiss army knife do it all (except tonewheel organ) board.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thank you CEB and D Bon

Maybe it's the pivot point I'm having the issue with. The CP33 and MOX8 are both listed as "graded hammer action," but the CP33 blows away the MOX8 in "real" piano feel. This is based on my years of owning the CP33 and year of owning the MOX8.

David

Escape,

I was originally going to buy the MOX8, but it was the bed that made the difference to me. I am by no means an expert but spend about 2+ hours per day at my XS and having something that felt good was critical. Below are my thoughts from another thread when I was making my decision.

So I just got back from Guitar Center, and I think I will be heading in the direction of the S90XS instead of the MOX8. For me it is the feel of the keybed. As this will be my main keyboard for practice.

To me the keyboard on the MOX8 felt, slower and a little marshmallow 'y, compared to the S90XS which felt crisper, more solid. And frankly, simply more rewarding. I know this is completely subjective. But there is something special about the tactile feel of good set of keys, and if I am practicing 2 hours a day, I want the better keybed under my hands.

One test that made it clear, was I set my iphone metronome to 108 and played some Hanon "Virtuoso Piano" drills, the book with 60 drills. On the MOX8 I felt like I was rushing to keep pace, while on the S90XS, 108 didn't seem fast, and the hands just flowed. Maybe this is just my lack of ability, but I felt more in control with the S90XS keys.

Yamaha S90XS, Studiologic VMk-161 Organ

Small/powerful (i7, 32GB, M.2 SSD) PC controlled by 10" Touch Screen

Cantabile, Ravenscroft 275, Keyscape, OPX-II, Omnisphere 2, VB3, Chris Hein Horns, etc.

When I sold my hand beating, RD-300NX I went looking for something similar in piano/mini-ROMpler hybrids; that turned out to be a CP50. But, for a crazy couple o' moments I had a crush on the S90XS sitting next to the CP50. Super 'board; and definitely lighter than a CP300. Like the P250, I could lift a CP300 - but it wouldn't be pleasant. It's also awkward, like the K2500XS I used to schlepp. That thing was heavy and slick; use to feel like I was lifting a huge fish out of the case.

I'd probably go with the S90XS over the CP300. But then again, NAMM is but a few weeks out....

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I would also go with S90 over the CP300. If I was going to go the CP300 type route I would get a Kawai.

Okay, I found an S90XS to play. Spent about an hour with it. Good sounds. Didn't like it. Keybed felt almost same, to me, as MOX.

Then I made the possible mistake to my wallet :) of playing a KronosX 88 for an hour or so.

Damn, totally playable, and felt great to me. Figures. Having spent years with the Tritons, navigation was a breeze.

I was able to dial in all kinds of sounds I would use live in place of the MOX/Motif sounds.

Frack.... GAS!!!! help......... it's only money, right??

Hell, I turned...gulp.... 50 yesterday. Maybe a well deserved bday to myself????

David

Okay, I found an S90XS to play. Spent about an hour with it. Good sounds. Didn't like it. Keybed felt almost same, to me, as MOX.

:crazy:

I don't know how you can say that they're almost the same. They're not. Fact. The pivot points and key-up are totally different.

David,

I'm at Billy Bobs Wednesday through Saturday this week. You can come out and check out the S70XS if you like. I think it has the same action as the 90....

Matt

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

...Hell, I turned...gulp.... 50 yesterday. Maybe a well deserved bday to myself????

Get the KronosX 88. You'll be dead all too soon. Enjoy what's left of your life. Later the family can sell it and reclaim some cash to cover your funeral.

It sounds like it fits perfectly.

Now my opinion will either confirm your feelings or send you in an entirely different direction.

...Hell, I turned...gulp.... 50 yesterday. Maybe a well deserved bday to myself????

Get the KronosX 88. You'll be dead all too soon. Enjoy what's left of your life. Later the family can sell it and reclaim some cash to cover your funeral.

It sounds like it fits perfectly.

Now my opinion will either confirm your feelings or send you in an entirely different direction.

Lol!!!

David

I have a mox8..coming from a cp5 it was..is..quite a shock! reason,and only reason is due to an injury, I can only carry a light weight board, n Im in so many different situations that I needed the light board. Something about the action just aint right. Yam farms this board to china and I understand the keybed is put together cheaper than previous models, hence the actually almost terrible action..Ive felt P95's that feel better than this, n I dont care what action yam says is on this or that, they all feel different to me. I like the fact that it has sounds that u can use to cover different musical situations..but u can have the glassy, bright tones yam says are piano's...they aint. Sold my receptor, so Im looking 4 something for piano sounds, as all my gigs are piano/rhodes w/a smattering of other tones. I did get to try the s90..It was nice, still a bit sluggish on the rebound for my tastes, but I have friends who swear by it. I may have considered it, but again, too heavy.

I have a mox8..coming from a cp5 it was..is..quite a shock! reason,and only reason is due to an injury, I can only carry a light weight board

Sold my receptor, so Im looking 4 something for piano sounds

For a lightweight board with a nice action, I'd look at the Casio PX-350. You could mate it with something else for sounds, if you want. Why did you sell the Receptor? If you want to stay away from computer-based stuff, you could pair the PX-350 with a 15-18 lb Nord Electro to get access to a nice piano library.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

:crazy:

I don't know how you can say that they're almost the same. They're not. Fact. The pivot points and key-up are totally different.

Ok, let me amend a bit. Maybe not the same as my MOX but definitely not the piano feel I was used to out of my CP33. They had a CP33 right there next to the S90, so I played it just to make sure I wasn't in lala land.

This may be a "well duh" comment by me, but it seems the purpose built pianos like the CPs have better piano feel than the upper end Yamaha workstations. At least that's my subjective take after auditioning the boards.

David

This may be a "well duh" comment by me, but it seems the purpose built pianos like the CPs have better piano feel than the upper end Yamaha workstations. At least that's my subjective take after auditioning the boards.

I'm gonna say "well duh" and point out that purpose-built units generally tend to outperform workstations at the specific purpose for which they're built... ;)

The CP33 and CP50 have the GH action; definitely a different feel than the S90/70XS and Motif XF8, which have the BH action. All around though, Yamaha has excellent, and very playable piano Voices.

The Kronos, on the other hand, is a whole different animal. Very playable/expressive when used as a stage piano; but it's also another universe unto itself. David, if your hands like the RH3 action then I believe the Kronos X is your instrument; the connection was very evident in your post. And Korgs are indeed super-intuitive to program.

I've been using the CP50 for bar/club gigs, and leaving the Kronos 88 in my home workspace; for the most part. Early in the year I became aggravated with with the crowded conditions on many stages (a guitarist with a huge rig who was practically on top of my keys; plus a couple of stage-hand collisions with the Kronos). But I'm trying to rethink that; especially now that the guitarist with whom I usually play is a different cat - smaller rig, leaves more space, etc.. That Kronos is just begging to go out on stage; truly a player's axe. Gotta work it into more live shows. :)

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'm gonna say "well duh" and point out that purpose-built units generally tend to outperform workstations at the specific purpose for which they're built... ;)

I deserved that, Griff! Thanks for not letting me down :)

David

Allan, thank you.

Yes, I do feel connected to the RH3 in the Kronos. As far as it's size, it's only 2.5 inches on each side (from center) wider than my MOX8, 57.2 vs 52, so stage space isn't an issue for me, at the places we play.

Lots for me to ponder before I pull the trigger. This will be the most expensive board I've ever purchased if I do it, but the hour I spent with it was wonderful. I really liked the fact my previous Triton experience flowed through and I was able to find settings in the "global" menu easily.

Plus, it fits in the hardshell SKB case I currently use for the MOX8 hahaha!

Thanks all for indulging my talking to myself over GAS

David

Hey Scott, whats up? Tried the 330 and the 350. Thanks. Id like to try a px3 to see what that feels like. Everyone has such varied tastes when it comes to actions and piano sounds. If I could find an electro, Id def look into it.

Tried the 330 and the 350. Thanks. Id like to try a px3 to see what that feels like.

PX3 is similar to the 330, except with a matte finish to the keys (not as much of one as the 350, though).

If I could find an electro, Id def look into it.

Based on your other comments, I suspect you would not be happy with the Electro weighted action... but as you said, people have different tastes, it's worth trying for yourself. What I actually meant with the Electro suggestion is that you look at an unweighted model (the 4D or 4SW73), and drive its piano from the PX350. (You could also use its own unweighted action for organ and other sounds... thought not at the same time you're using its piano sound.)

Oh, I thought u were referring to the rack. I can handle the weight of the mox just fine, have the roads clavs n some brass tweaked just fine, so I really only need a good piano sound (Dont we all) :D Not many options aey?

I swear someone mentioned that the px3 had a different action, but I do get confused easily.

Oh, I thought u were referring to the rack. I can handle the weight of the mox just fine, have the roads clavs n some brass tweaked just fine, so I really only need a good piano sound (Dont we all) :D Not many options aey?

Ah, I thought you were looking to replace the MOX (because of "Something about the action just aint right") but I guess you're willing to live with it, so never mind about my PX350 suggestion! Same suggestion for piano sound though... if not a computer based thing, then an Electro. No, they don't make a rack of the current version, so it would be a second board, essentially functioning as a module, but it weighs less than some modules anyway! And you'd have an unweighed action and backup board at your disposal besides. It really is a nice complement for the MOX, since its strengths line up pretty well where the MOX is weak... with its additional piano sounds, full tonewheel organ model, and the ability to load in custom samples (albeit with only one velocity layer).

edit: another possibility could be the Integra 7 rack module with its SN piano... though personally, I like the Nord piano sounds better.

S90XS IMO doesn't have a piano feel. If that is what you want the CP300 action smokes it.

I don't agree. Except for the grading, they're almost identical.

That is kind of a biggie. LOL. The S90 is way too light in the bass. But I want even grading in the S90 because it isnt a piano it is a synth that can be used to play some piano parts. I hated it the first couple of days I owned it but I got used to it and like it a lot. But if I am doing a straight up piano type gig I am taking a Kawai.

Archived