Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

S90XS MOX8 how different are keybeds?

EscapeRocks

That is kind of a biggie. LOL. The S90 is way too light in the bass.

It's a biggie for some but not for others. The CP5 isn't graded either -- didn't seem to be a deal-breaker for our resident piano purist, Dave Ferris. ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, I found an S90XS to play. Spent about an hour with it. Good sounds. Didn't like it. Keybed felt almost same, to me, as MOX.

:crazy:

I don't know how you can say that they're almost the same. They're not. Fact. The pivot points and key-up are totally different.

I'm with Dbon. You are completely wrong. I have an MOX8. And Saturday, I went to Sam Ash, and ended up sitting at the S90xs for an easy hour. From the very first chord, it was apparent this was a completely different keybed and action, and felt SO much better than the MOX8.

Its funny, because Ive been toying with the idea of adding the MX61 to my rig, and as I talked about on another thread, found it seriously lacking compared to the MOX8, and was figuring on trying to integrate the MOX8 and then based on my happiness, popping for an MOX6. (I dont need 2 88weighteds onstage.) And while playing the S90xs, I just found it so much more enjoyable to play, that I really had just come to the conclusion (again), that it doesnt matter how light a keyboard is, if you dont enjoy playing it, youre not going to get as much satisfaction out of it, and that will translate to your playing.

You may find the S90xs uninspiring to play (completely opposite of my reaction), but it is definitely not the same keyboard as the MOX8. In fact, Id be inclined to bite the bullet and add an S90xs instead of the MOX6 keyboard, because it IS so enjoyable to play. It really did feel great to play, unlike the MOX8.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

It occurs to me that we have it rough. Every decent guitarist I know has a minimum of 3 or 4 (different) electrics to choose from, and we have to force ourselves to buy one or 2 keyboards, and LIVE with them. Now, I dont advise having 3 or 4 keyboards onstage, but man, it would be nice to have options.

You want an S90xs? You get to have 88 weighteds. You like the sounds, but you want a semiweighted? Too bad.

It gets back to my rack rig: stack the rack with the sounds you like, and spend the money on a controller (or 2) that you love. But then you suffer from limited access/control compared to the everything is right there on the keyboard control surface.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Okay, I found an S90XS to play. Spent about an hour with it. Good sounds. Didn't like it. Keybed felt almost same, to me, as MOX.

:crazy:

I don't know how you can say that they're almost the same. They're not. Fact. The pivot points and key-up are totally different.

Yeah true, totally different feel?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Well, I'm not sure if is lack of sleep, just getting over a cold, or being kind of agitated at some thing yesterday, but I was definitely suffering from cranial-rectal impaction regarding the keys I was auditioning.

I just got back from the store where I spent another 45 minutes with the S90XS. I moved it to a stand at the height I'd play it, and I took my IEMs and a1/4" adapter with me.

I was wrong, and not afraid to admit it. I played the S6 and the concert grand pianos mostly.

I also recreated some of the programs/layers I use on the MOX. (big plus, despite the smaller screen, everything was where it was supposed to be...no learning curve to navigate).

It was excellent, and quite a step up from my MOX.

The pianos were fantastic, and with some tweaking of the real time eq, the low end was not an issue.

I will miss not having the A/D l&R inputs, but I can adjust my rig.

I do really like the part volume sliders. I use FC-7s live, but it's nice to have the sliders right there.

So, I was wrong about the S90XS. It's great board, and feels just fine. I pushed it hard with layers and sustain, and never once felt it pushing back like what's been happening on my MOX.

I played some Billy Joel (Root Beer Rag, and Prelude-Angry Young Man) to test the key bed. No issues.

One last thing, my librarian software works with the S90XS. I researched that.

So, I am buying one. Going to pick it up Wednesday. Solved my GAS and saved some serious $$$$.

Again, not sure what was up yesterday. I appreciate those of you who called me out on it, as it prompted me to go back and to a "real world" test this morning.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Dave how much did they charge if you don't mind us asking? I go mine right when it was released in the first batch sold from Sweetwater. I think the rep said I was one of the only ones that bought it sight unseen. Anyway I got a few hundred dollars off but that was 2009.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I am using the S700 pianos tonight. I setup yesterday and S700 Grand and S700 Brite sounded the best in the hall I am playing.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Dave how much did they charge if you don't mind us asking? I go mine right when it was released in the first batch sold from Sweetwater. I think the rep said I was one of the only ones that bought it sight unseen. Anyway I got a few hundred dollars off but that was 2009.

I prefer not to say as I have a deal with my local store's manager for gear well below MAP pricing. I did not walk away unhappy.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Enjoy! I love my S70XS. It's a very versatile board and it'll fit in great with what your needs seem to be.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I prefer not to say as I have a deal with my local store's manager for gear well below MAP pricing. I did not walk away unhappy.

Totally understand. I get deals here and there and have to keep it quiet sometimes.

noblevibes.com

I am using the S700 pianos tonight. I setup yesterday and S700 Grand and S700 Brite sounded the best in the hall I am playing.

I dont understand, S700 pianos? Like did they put new sample data in there with an OS update?

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

• 9 months later...

Archived