Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can anyone help with THIS tune?

Tonysounds

Has anyone played this tune? Or more accurately, can you tell me what the last few pad chords in this bridge sequence is? (2:28) What Im hearing (over a C bass) is F E- D- C A-7.. then I really cant tell whats happening. Now Im at work (with no keyboard) and I cant even remember if I even have that sequence right.

Thanks for your help!

[video:youtube]

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played this years ago when it was on the radio - had trouble with those last chords too. We played (all over C bass)

Dm CM7 Bm7b5 C7 FMaj9 Fm6 C7 Fm9+6

Moe, 2 questions: Dm, what note on top? Does CM7 mean min7 or maj7? (You mix your usage of upper and lower case "M"s so I can't be sure which of these are maj and min. That's why I use - to indicate minor.) can you reillustrate? Gracias mi amigo!

Thanks for your help Blu....gonna try both of these tonite.

Use Moe's, it's more complete; my version is kind of the "upper triad" version.

Because I'm bored at home today, here's the chart for it (the one difference between this and Moe's is that I hear a D in the chord in the 4th bar, making it a Gm (or really a C9 I suppose):

http://www.natevenet.com/WangChung.jpg

M=major

m=minor

For handwriting, I use dash and triangle, because they're easier to read from a distance. M and m look too much the same, handwritten, and "maj" and "min" also look too much alike, and take up a lot of room. Plus I'm clumsy and have bad handwriting.

I've always wanted to find a good font with a decent triangle. You'd think a greek Delta would work, but I can never seem to find the delta key on my keyboard. ;-)

Funny, I've heard of the song, but never actually heard it until now! Anyway, here's what I came up with, see what you think:

FMaj7 (7th on bottom), CMaj7, Bm7 flat-5, C7 (7th on bottom), Am7, Ab6 flat-5, C7 (5th on bottom), Fm6

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't like the dash because it is also sometimes used to indicate a flatted-something, as in Bb7-5. You can figure it out from context, but when sight reading something thrown in front of you for the first time, it can slow you (well, me) down. But then I guess every system probably has room for ambiguity, so it comes down to getting used to things. I don't need to read from other people's charts very often, so I never got comfortable with that. I stick with maj and m.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You guys mean C# right? The bridge is all over a C# pedal.

Sounds like pretty simple descending chords to me too.

Lets see. If I spread out the RH notes, I get

C# F# A# C#

C# F G# C

C# D# F# A#

B C# F G#

A# C# F# G#

A C# D# F#

G# C# F

F# A C# D#

All over a C# bass of course.

Yes, I was taught M=major, m=minor.

Funny, I was taugh to only us m (lowercase) on minor chords. Major chords don't get an M. maj gets used for major 7th and major 9th chords.

So

C Major = C

C minor = Cm

C major 7th = Cmaj7 (or 9)

C dominant 7 = C7

C minor 7 = Cm7

Isn't that much clearer and simpler? Maybe it's just me.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I'm so sorry, Tony.

Dont Stop The Heavin Jesses Brown Eyed Girl cuz everybody Wang Chung tonight when they're Workin For The Weekend in the Summers of 69

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Funny, I was taugh to only us m (lowercase) on minor chords. Major chords don't get an M. maj gets used for major 7th and major 9th chords.

So

C Major = C

C minor = Cm

C dominant 7 = C7

C minor 7 = Cm7

Thats how I learned, but the & delta got used in a lot of charts. Ms just confuse things.

And right now, its sounding in my head like Bernmeister (again) has it nailed. That was more in line with what I was playing last nite, but that pads sound makes it hard to distinguish when it gets to the end.

So

C Major = C

C minor = Cm

C dominant 7 = C7

C minor 7 = Cm7

You're not contradicting either of us. We just said, when you see "M", interpret it as "major". We didn't say that you write a C as CM. So, in your examples, replace "maj" with "M" and that's a convention. One of many.

The advantage of using "min" and "maj" is that they don't need to be explained.

The m/M convention is bad for handwritten charts since lower and upper case M's can look too much alike. People who use this convention well make sure the M's have sharp tops and the m's don't. But someone started using dash and triangle instead, and a lot of us found that easier on the eyes.

Regarding Bb7-5, I'd write that Bb7b5. But yes, I've seen a dash used to mean "flat". IMHO it's less common in fake books and charts that I've seen, but I've seen all manner of different conventions. They're all pretty easy to translate between, but the dash and triangle are the easiest to see when the chart is on the floor (not unsual when playing guitar) without the benefit of a music stand).

I'm hearing it all over C. Maybe you (or I) have a strange mastered version?

I listened to the video imbedded in the original post while sitting next to my piano. Earlier today the body of the song played in F and the bridge played over C#. I'm sure of it because I sat here and played along to check my ears. Now when I re-listen, it's playing in E and C :crazy:

Can one of you computer geniuses explain to me how that happens???

I listened to the video imbedded in the original post while sitting next to my piano. Earlier today the body of the song played in F and the bridge played over C#. I'm sure of it because I sat here and played along to check my ears. Now when I re-listen, it's playing in E and C :crazy:

Can one of you computer geniuses explain to me how that happens???

Sample rate...you were probably listening to it at 48k instead of 44k.

Man, that tune is infectious....

I'm partial to "Dance Hall Days." :thu::facepalm:

Learning tunes for NYE, brother T?

I feel your pain, we are working on "Raise Your Glass" (Pink).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

It's amazing how a simple song chord question morphs into fake book notation. After 40 years of too many fake books and charts to mention, you're all correct. I've got charts with triangles, letters, numbers, dashes, upper and lower case, Nashville and a few where I swear somebody just decided to invent their own. I did a big band gig a couple weeks ago and most of the charts were fine but for one the bass player and myself just looked at each other with that "WTF is this?" look. I can't even describe it it was so bad. Luckily it was 3 chords with a simple bridge and I just faked it. On a chart that's been through the copier too many times it's definitely hard to tell a triangle from a circle and playing a maj7 instead of a diminished will warrant a glance your way from somebody...ears, use your ears. Don't ask how I know this.

Lots of mistakes in those books or if not really wrong just not good like writing basic triads for a turnaround. Really? This isn't a nursery rhyme, who wrote that?

bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Did Raise Your Glass.went over great, and not completely horrible to play either....

You are correct! After a more deliberate listen before rehearsal last night, there's a Moog-like line that runs through the chorus. Fun to play (although not especially challenging) with the right hand while holding down Hammond chords with the left. I added some synth bass hits on the down-beats during the verses and it turned out to be a fun tune.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived