Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steve Vai killing it with 2Cellos

marneyzj

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't really so taken with that cut, but I played several others from those two cellists, and I dig their pop renditions more than the metal stuff. Cool, and thanks for passing that along.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Meh. Doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong, these guys are obviously top-notch cellists, but it just came across as a novelty.

Frayed bows, banging their heads...they just didn't sell it, and to me, looked kinda foolish. Can't be hard-core sporting 90210 looks and attempting to channel Angus Young. Do they write their own material? I'm gonna google them.

If they've got their own stuff, I bet it'll be awesome, but I'll pass on this.

My ears are haunted.

And if you like heavy metal cello, look up Apocalyptica.

I like what they play, but I hate their recordings. Very unpleasant to listen to, because of the 'metal' approach to the recording. I also like Cellofourte.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I kinda felt sorry for Steve when the crowd walked out on him and he's just left standing there, and he's like what da fbomb? It was kind of cute and a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...
Take care, Larryz

...a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...

you mean two Croatian kids.

Should have said all-American [looking] kids...I mean you don't think about Croatians jamming at your local GC all that often. I didn't know their history and had not heard of them before, but they looked and sounded pretty darn talented at what they do. I knew who Steve Vai is/was, but I probably would have walked right by him without that sign telling me it was really him (till he picked up the guitar that is).

Take care, Larryz

It's like a lip-sync right ?

Didn't watch the whole thing but obviously not those two cello guys playing live, may even be guitars plus effects rather than what it appears to be.

Like 99.999% of music videos, they are not playing live, simply miming along to their recorded performance. But it's most definitely 2 electric celli.

Scott Fraser

I kinda felt sorry for Steve when the crowd walked out on him and he's just left standing there, and he's like what da fbomb? It was kind of cute and a good use of 2Cellos played by all-American kids...

It was obvious schtick, and I bet Vai was behind the whole thing, making fun of his fame, and pretending to be egotistical, and then insulted. Vai is a great player no matter what we think of his image. I bet he had his own sound guy there to do the probably programmed drums and whatever other recorded tracks were involved.

My advice is don't believe anything you see on You Tube as factual, much of it is scripted. And that one was obviously (to me) scripted. Plus the recording was done on pro gear (probably Pro Tools HD sounds like to me), probably not in GC at the time. Schtick amigos. But it was fun to watch, and fun to see Vai has a little sense of humor of himself and his fame.

Archived