Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brilliant musical mistakes

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ONCE a plane flew over me abode as I was recording and SO I left it in. is that what you are to be meanink yas? although for the most part mistakes are edited or erased. i was just thinkin' the "cosmos manager" wanted that plane noise in there so I went with my gut and left it as is. YES GOD ! Thank you GOD. Mozarts Faith is the name of it.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

I grabbed the wrong harmonica once, was expecting to cross harp (use a harp a fourth higher than the key of the song, ie. F harp on a song in C) but I went the wrong direction (grabbed a G) and discovered that works, sorta, too. I've subsequently learned that that's done occasionally, and the discovery made playing the harp solo in the Stones' "Miss You" suddenly possible!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Well to me, a recording without mistakes isn't very appealing....ie..fake sounding. Kinda like listening to the note perfect stuff on country radio. Talk about over produced!
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I think some fabulous performance 'mistakes' can lead into some pretty good quality ideas and potential material for arrangements and songs. Mistakes weren't wrong notes but the somewhat cohesive collaboration by my bandmates to wander out on a musical limb and, ignoring the fear of whether on not the limb breaks off and smashes to earth, explore new surroundings and possibilities. Mostly I did this with 1 or 2 rock bands. A rockabilly band I was in did this too - believe it or not. I've also done this myself using programmed synths and various machines and blended them together to create various accidents that I wouldn't have actually though of - in my wildest dreams. Provided by Providence ! Or a statistical convergence in the ether - however you explain it ! Finally I've had this happen a few times when I mix some arrangements that had some extra overdubs or details that would normally not make a final 'cut'. By cleverly 'arranging' these into the mix, thus altering the performance, the 'mistake' is integrated into the song ! Maybe I'm just describing a normal creative process. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a 'mistake', an 'accident', or otherwise carving a thing of beauty out of thin air ! :) kylen

I read an interview with Chet Atkins a long time ago, and he said if your on stage and doing a solo and hit the wrong note, it'll sound like it's supposed to be there if you hit it again, therefore the second note makes the first note OK sounding to the audience. :freak: A brilliant deception, unless it's really an off note, like some of us do :rolleyes: I think he was a saying the general population that make-up an audience wouldn't notice, but if they were all musicians, well.........,I doubt Chet had to worry too much about that either way.
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Posted by Kylen; [quote] [b]Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a 'mistake', an 'accident', or otherwise carving a thing of beauty out of thin air ! [/b] [/quote]For me in jazz improv I often attempt phrases that don't quite come off as intended. Part of the art of it has been making the recovery not sound like a mistake. Honestly though, more often than not, even it doesn't sound better than what I was trying to do it still may not sound like a mistake to someone else. OTOH some accidents definitely sound like mistakes to all and are hard to maneuver out of. In a case like that I've found there's nothing wrong with letting a few beats or bars go by. A lot can be said for the wise use of silence in crafting a fluent solo for sure. I do rarely 'stumble' by accident on something I really like and wish had have been recorded. I don't know if it comes out of the thin air, the ether, or what but it sure feels good. :)

An mistake becomes brilliance????? Sounds like something from a political thinktank! :) :) I don't think brilliance has anything to do with it, unfortunately. Just a wonderful unexpected thing that worked, stemming from a mistake/accidental crossup of music. Cool but not something that requires brainpower. Sometimes those moments of "brilliance" are next to impossible to recreate as well. :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Like Arrel, I too had an Oregon State Police Marijuanna Crop Search Plane flying overhead once when recording a song. The slow passing, low droning of the plane going by was just what was needed right in that spot. Another time i was just messing around, simulating the sound of a nuclear explosion in quadraphonics (yeah, i do all sorts of wierd shit like this constantly) with various means, and my mike picked up the sounds of my roommate yelling at her kid. It came by as a muffled set of screams in just the right spot! w00t! Otherwise, yeah... i fool around with stuff and make cool mistakes all the time. Frankly, i've written a lot of my songs that way.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

[quote]Originally posted by mjackson: [b]I read an interview with Chet Atkins a long time ago, and he said if your on stage and doing a solo and hit the wrong note, it'll sound like it's supposed to be there if you hit it again, therefore the second note makes the first note OK sounding to the audience. :freak: [/b][/quote]If you play a mistake once, it's a mistake. If you play it twice, it's jazz. :thu: I have wondered for years whether one of my favorite, and yet simplest, drum licks was intentional or not. Everybody knows "Aja" by Steely Dan, right? With the mind-blowing drum soloing courtesy of one Mr. Steve Gadd, right? Well, you know near the middle of the middle solo, where he hits that rimclick all by itself? It's either the coolest, best placed rimclick in drumming history, or it's the coolest mistake ever left in a drum part. The problems with either of these theories: - Becker and Fagen are [i]notorious[/i] perfectionists, and wouldn't have allowed such a mistake to the final print. - On the other hand, it's just [i]so fuckin' cool[/i] that maybe they let it slide. - Steve Gadd is the drummer's drummer, a guy who probably wouldn't have made such a mistake in the first place, so he probably did it on purpose. Masterful. - On the other hand, the recorded version of "Aja" is [i]Gadd's SECOND take, EVER,[/i] :eek: on the song. So maybe, somewhere within seven minutes of sheer drum mastery, playing an unfamiliar and very difficult chart for only the second time, he clammed one. In context, I must say - so what? Either way, it's a cool lick. Accidental coolness, or deliberate mastery? Who cares - it rules!

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b]Like Arrel, I too had an Oregon State Police Marijuanna Crop Search Plane flying overhead once when recording a song. [/b][/quote]I always wonder how they spot marijuana from a plane.......do you know?

All my recordings have mistakes. We keep a lot of them, and eliminate the ones that really irk us. I have Pro Tools, but refuse to use it to make everything lock together in inhuman, fake-sounding ways. I will, however, use it to fix a few mistakes here and there.

[quote]Originally posted by Geenard: [b] [quote]Originally posted by phaeton: [b]Like Arrel, I too had an Oregon State Police Marijuanna Crop Search Plane flying overhead once when recording a song. [/b][/quote]I always wonder how they spot marijuana from a plane.......do you know?[/b][/quote]youre kidding right? lol.. they look out the window.

I read an interview where Eric Clapton commented on Cream's tendancy to "loose the one". He said that sometimes they would get so far out that they did not know where the first beat of the measure. He also said that he has a hard time listening to the live version of "Crossroads" because, at the time, what he thought was the one was actually three. So, to him, his playing is off.

At a gig where I was playing in a rock band horn section we were doing this kind of warm up instrumental,I started my trumpet solo in the wrong key.Everyone complimented me afterwards even though for the first few bars of the solo I was mortified.I actually heard a (very bad) recording of the gig a few days later and musically at least it sounded pretty cool.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

All the time. Joseph Campbell (RIP) used to say that if you're on the right track, you'll find "invisible hands" helping you along the way. My invisible helping hands manifest themselves when copying, moving, or editting midi parts. Just last week I was working on a "trancy" tune and I dragged 6 separate midi tracks to the other end of the song, but accidentally offset the whole lot by one track. The Rex fill was now triggering my sampler, the sampler now triggering the synth lead... & so on down the line. The result was an entirely different sound and vibe... kinda offtime IDM-ish. I liked it so much I abandoned the original part and started developing the mistake into a whole new tune. :thu:

As far as recording goes: The brilliance is not in the mistake, but in the editing process, that is, knowing when to take them out and when to let em ride. If you want to hear an example of letting it ride check out the song "Two Roads" at [url=http://www.jonesound.com/mainweb.html]Jonesound.com[/url] this entire song is a mistake. : ) josh

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b][b]All my recordings have mistakes.[/b] We keep a lot of them, and eliminate the ones that really irk us. I have Pro Tools, but refuse to use it to make everything lock together in inhuman, fake-sounding ways. I will, however, use it to fix a few mistakes here and there.[/b][/quote]Hmmm.. If mine are too perfect,(as most all of mine are,ahahahasob) I'll mar the "finish" or put an odd note at a wrong spot. Like a mole on a beautiful woman. I find i have done this almost by instinct like if I don't mar the perfection of the piece i'll somehow get into cosmic trouble. ahahaha! Stupid huh? I know it. OBVIOUSLY I cain't help it! ahahaha!LOL There's a word for being that way. . P.S. KAZUO YAIRI is one heck of a fine guitar maker. Thanks kazuo'san!

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Archived