Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Led Zeppelin "Celebration Day" movie

tarkus

Got the call late yesterday to see the Zep concert movie.

I haven't seen a concert movie since the 1980's when seeing Song Remains The Same at the midnight movies or Baby Snakes at the Angelic...

I haven't been in a movie theater in a few years, but the Coconut Grove cinema was good for the occassion. not many seats, great comfy chairs, a full bar and quality sound.

The film as you already know was edited footage from the tribute to Ahmet show. If you've seen clips on youtube, it's good, but does not do it justice. Seeing it on the big screen was a pleasurable experience even though I had already seen and heard most of the show via free vid sites.

Naturally most of the footage was Jimmy Page in your face as well as too much Rober Plant.

I would like to see an interactive DVD where you can choose the cameras and isolate instruments.

John Paul Jones was phenominal and under-appreciated by the camera and video director. Where credit is due - John Paul Jones conceived Zeppelin's Hallmark Riffs: notably, Black Dog.

I am a big JPJ fan. He played Korg gear- and OASYS and an X50 (prominently featured on Kashmir).

He also had Taurus pedals and during No Quarter - a stomp box to produce the phser effect.

Keyboard featured songs:

Trampled Under Foot

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Misty Mountain Hop

Stairway to Heaven

Kashmir

I've seen - in person - various configs of Zeppelin alumni - even Jason Bonham's gig in Lauderdale this year was tremendous (as well as a noted KC'er in the line-up! )

SO if you are on the fence about this concert movie, I say - don't wait for DVD unless you have an enormous home theater.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It really makes up for the dreadful Live Aid (I'm looking at you, Phil Collins :mad:) and Atlantic Records 40th anniversary performances. I do find Jason's tendency to play slightly ahead of the beat distracting though. It gives the songs quite a different feel than his dad.

I do find Jason's tendency to play slightly ahead of the beat distracting though. It gives the songs quite a different feel than his dad.

+1 Never thought anyone else noticed that but me

However, he is like r'n'r royalty to me. He is the closest thing to the musician that inspired me to start playing music.

When I die and go to heaven, I want to jam with JHB. Unless he's in hell, then I'd rather be down there :)

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

It really makes up for the dreadful Live Aid (I'm looking at you, Phil Collins :mad:)

Yeah that was completely unnecessary, and he skagged every song. Tony Thompson was doing a fine job.

I do find Jason's tendency to play slightly ahead of the beat distracting though. It gives the songs quite a different feel than his dad.

I've seen him with a number of outfits, including on the Jimmy Page Outrider tour. I always thought the Foreigner thing was strange: He's got a great gig, but he's got the Zeppelin drum kit with logo, and I could never figure out why the inclusion of Whole Lotta Love/Moby Dick into that show. It would be like seeing the Who and all of a sudden Zak Starkey starts playing Come Together.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

It really makes up for the dreadful Live Aid (I'm looking at you, Phil Collins :mad:)

Yeah that was completely unnecessary, and he skagged every song. Tony Thompson was doing a fine job.

It was pure ego, and it was clear he didn't know the songs. Also insulting to Thompson, a monster player who has never really gotten the props he deserves. I would've killed to have been in the room during those rehearsals. Apparently they were working on new material but Thompson got in a car accident.

I always thought the Foreigner thing was strange: He's got a great gig, but he's got the Zeppelin drum kit with logo, and I could never figure out why the inclusion of Whole Lotta Love/Moby Dick into that show. It would be like seeing the Who and all of a sudden Zak Starkey starts playing Come Together.

+1

I guess he decided that fully embracing his dad's legacy was easier and more lucrative than trying to carve his own niche. I liked that first Bonham album too.

LeBlanc, you gotta have some kickass inside scoop stories, with what I would call "a dream gig"....

...are you holding out on us?

-Greg

Saw Jones with Diamanda Galas.no keys for him, on that tour. Saw tours for both Zooma and Thunderthief, and while lacking in songs, he is the RiffMeister. Its obvious hearing post-Zep music from all those guys that while Page/Plant could write great songs, but there are no riffs on any of the Page/Plant stuff, or the Page stuff with Coverdale, or The Firm. Whereas Jones doesnt write songs, but hes got riffs for days. Makes me wonder who truly is responsible for the riffs in Good Times Bad Times, Out on the Tiles, Black Dog, 4 Sticks, The Ocean, and pretty much all of Presence!

The slagging was on Phil Collins and Live Aid. (Its deserved, and well documented on video.)

As for Jason and the Zeppelin connection, Im sure thats a real trick bag. It couldnt have been easy for Julian Lennon, and it cant be any different for Jason. Jason has had a very decent sideman career, and its something to be proud of on its own merit. But no one attacked him for any youthful indiscretion or battles with addiction. In fact, you brought that up. unless I missed something, which would not surprise me in the least.

Steve, you're out of line here. Nothing I've posted in this thread was meant to disparage Jason, so the defensiveness and name-calling is unwarranted. And I'm not sure why you've brought up his past drinking and drug use -- no one has called into question his character.

Hell no, he's had a great sideman career. And he certainly came off as being smarter (and busier) than any of the other folks in that "reality" band tv show he did with Nugent and Sebastard Bach. I liked that line-up of Foreigner he was in with the Dokken dude and Kelly Something as the vocalist. STRONG.

I saw the movie last night. I really enjoyed it. I thought everybody played great, the song selection was excellent, and the band totally rocked.

dB

Awesome. I'm taking my son to see it tonight.

And he certainly came off as being smarter than any of the other folks in that "reality" band tv show he did with Nugent and Sebastard Bach.

LOL I dont think was very hard for him to accomplish.....

Supergroup, it was called

-Greg

I saw the movie last night. I really enjoyed it. I thought everybody played great, the song selection was excellent, and the band totally rocked.

dB

+1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Jason has three new albums out with Black Country Communion, the third is out on Oct 30. Saw two shows with him last year and BCC. Looking forward to seeing the movie Sat night.

BCC is done. They have called it quits....or rather Bonnamassa has said "no touring" and is putting out his 4th album in 2 years, so Hughes is calling foul. See: they really ARE a band!

Archived