Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone got either of these Swing Era "fake books"?

stillplaying

Anyone got either of these and if so do you like them:

Big Book Of Swing (Hal Leonard)

The Swing Era - 1936-1947 (Jazz Bible Fake Book)

Got a young teenage student working on left hand rootless voicings.

I'm never sure how best to approach it when a student tells me they want to learn some jazz. It's still a cool thing to say you're into - even if it transpires you don't actually listen to any. It was no different when I was a youngster.

Anyway this student has a bit of drive and has done all I've asked.. It's not a big leap from the bouncy blues stuff he's been doing to some Swing tunes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Swing Era - 1936-1947 (Jazz Bible Fake Book)

Got it. First Fake Book I ever bought (back in 1998 when I worked at a Music Store and had no idea how to get the then illegal fake books).

Not a bad book at all. But I'd get the Real Book first.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Thanks both of you. I have the Real Book and a few other standard pro ones. They were all around the thirty pounds sterling price when I got them a few decades back. Bit pricey for his parents - he's only twelve - but I'm off to look at them again.

The one that he needs is Real Book Sixth Edition (Hal Leonard). That is the current standard. It will save a lot of grief later on since changes may not be consistent using other sources.

Obviously, this did not exist a few decades back. Most of the other ones were the "Illegal Editions".

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

Dug some out of storage.

The New Real Book (Sher)

The World's Greatest Fake Book (Sher)

Also found my two Frank Mantooth books.

Thanks for the Hal Leonard suggestion. May get one for me and an Eb one for a sax player that lives round the corner.

Not a lot of Ellington or Monk in the two Sher ones. Lots of Yellow Jacketed Singing Sobbing latin fusion ... you know.

I may end up doing him a few simple charts myself.

Some nice things about the Swing Era Jazz Bible Fake Book is the clear, logical layout of the charts: one song per page, big print, excess stuff trimmed away. Also, it gives you lyrics, which I think can only help when one is trying to get inside a tune. All of this is good for students. Not a Real Book replacement for obvious reasons. But the Real Book doesn't have "Let's Get Lost" and some other gems.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Archived