Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weird basement finds

Rockhouse

Looking through one of my old touring cases I found a Korg FK1 Synthpedal. It's essentially a VCF (from the MS series?) in a box. Not seen in this video, but part of the product, is a wah-wah style foot controller that connects via a 5 pin din cable.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhBO_-Yajwk

I remember using this old thing to help soften up my Yamaha DX5. Those were the days, eh?

I fired up the synthpedal over the weekend, and it still works. Think I'll wire it up to my patch bay and use it for fun when it seems to be needed.

No resonance control on it, though . . .

What sorts of treasures have you guys stumbled across from the old days? Or found bargains on?

American Keyworks AK24+ Diablo (with bow), Hammond L100, Korg M3 expanded, Korg Sigma, Yamaha MM8, Yamaha SY99

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I once bought a Moog Rogue through the local newspaper classified ads for a bargain price.

When I turned up to collect it, the seller very nicely made sure I was OK with the fact that it was limited to only playing one note at a time.

Cool topic!

I found a Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble in a cardboard box largely containing old wires in the basement. I used it on my OB-8 and CP-70B back in the day. Seems these things can fetch a pretty penny these days, but I have no intention of selling it.

http://www.awenwoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/boss_ce1.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I once bought a Moog Rogue through the local newspaper classified ads for a bargain price.

When I turned up to collect it, the seller very nicely made sure I was OK with the fact that it was limited to only playing one note at a time.

:D :D classic!

The closest I can come is back in 83 or 84, I bought my first leslie at the age of 22. Id already owned a Hammond, an M3, which I plugged into an MXR Phase 100 and into my PA rig. (Just like Tony Banks!) After that M3 was gone, a friend of mine said they just got a new rehearsal spot in the basement of a bar, and the guy had some big old amp he wanted to sell. I went down there, and it was a 147, with the amp inside. The amp had been modded, and you plugged a footswitch into the amp to change speeds, and it had a ¼ input at the top to plug a preamp into. Oh, and it had a toggle switch on the front (the furniture sideOY!) to turn it on and off. (The power cord plugged into the amplifier itself.obviously, now that I think about it, it was modified to the point where it was probably worthless to anyone that knew anything.) And the whole thing was sitting in the bottom wheel tray of a flight case, but no flight case.

I was using a TOA powered mixer at the time, so I used the Record Out to power the beast. I bought it for $100. When I got home, I discovered it belonged to the Patti Smith Group, and had been stolen out of the back of a truck a couple years previous. I let my guitarist plug his Marshall top into it, and it sounded fn awesome.

A guitar store I used to frequent had a PA room, and he had 2 keyboards in there for the longest time, and of course, I was too stupid to realize what he had. One was a Freeman String Symphonizer. It looked big and bulky, and the owner told me it was a piece of shit when I asked him to plug it in so I could check it out. At the other end of the room was another one of his pieces of shit (he was a keyboardist), a Hohner Clavinet Duo. I was in that store all the time, and had no idea what these things were, only that he despised them. 16 years later, when I finally realized what it was he had, I went back, and they were both gone.sold to a guy for $300. 

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Found a Leslie 760 in a store basement for $50 back in the 80s when nobody wanted B-3s much less Leslies.

Year later someone brought in an ARP Omni that had been stored in a damp basement for 20 years in its Anvil case and the store didn't want it. The guy didn't want it either and just left it there. The store GAVE it to me, I was one of a handful of vintage synth enthusiasts at the time. I went to work to restore it but it was too far gone, quickly reaching the point of diminishing returns. The wood had soaked up too much moisture from the basement and crumbled like balsawood. Any metal components was caked with rust, including the power transformer (the death knell) and the variable tuning inductor which rendered all sound silent. All the trimpots were shot. Every cap that had been soaking up basement moisture would have to be replaced. The only salvageable components were the switches, the keyboard J-wires, the 4072 unpotted filter module, and the ensemble chorus generator. I gave all that stuff to a tech and kept the 4072. The Anvil case was stripped of disintegrating sticky foam and used as a catch-all case.

About a year and a half ago, I came across a Moog Rouge, Micromoog, and a Yamaha CS-5 that a client of a friend had in a barn. They were his mothers back in the 80s and he just wanted them gone. I bought them for $100 each. Each had some minor thing not working right, but the Micro and the CS-5 sounded and played great.

He called me about a month later and sold me a Moog Prodigy for $140. It was NOT working, but thought I could do something with it. I didnt.

I sold them all to one guy about six months later for a tidy profit. of them all, I only regret selling the Yamaha. I really would like to have that one back.

Cool topic!

I found a Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble in a cardboard box largely containing old wires in the basement. I used it on my OB-8 and CP-70B back in the day. Seems these things can fetch a pretty penny these days, but I have no intention of selling it.

http://www.awenwoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/boss_ce1.jpg

I had one of those for a few years, funny story. I got it in trade from a guitarist I was play with, I think I may have traded him a ZVex pedal for it. He'd gotten the CE-1 years before from his guitar teacher at the time. A few years after I got the CE-1, I was recording a band with the guitar teacher, and he noticed the pedal sitting on my Rhodes and said he used to have on and always regretted selling it. We figured out that it was actually the very same pedal, and he made me an offer on it on the spot. I could have probably sold it for more, but it seemed like it was the right thing to do.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

About fifteen years ago, a friend of my parents gave me an old electronic unit he wanted to get rid of, and I left it in a closet, having no idea what it was. Only last year did I find out what a Roland TB-303 was all about, and the prices these things were fetching :o I'm now thinking of putting it on ebay for sale.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Last year I helped a close friend move into a smaller place. He sent me home with a smile and a Korg Mono/Poly! :D
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Archived