Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Ion

Keybass

I just pickup an Alesis Ion for a pretty good price and I am very please with the quality of sound I am getting out of it. I wanted to have a small but ample keyboard to give me analogesque leeds,bass and pads. The ION excels at all of the above while providing great flexibility.

Are there any other forum members who have an ION and wish to share a few secrets?

Peace

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a Ion at school, to explain the basic analog-type voice channel to my students. A quick opinion:

Features-wise, it's a very complete, complex machine with a lot of programming options. Highlights are the many filter types, the versatile modulation matrix, the 3 oscillators and two filters per voice, the assignable slope for individual envelope segments and the fact that you can modulate the pulse width (symmetry) of the sine and sawtooth wave in addition to the square.

The main minus point is, in my opinion, the basic sound, which is a bit small and inefficient to my ears. You could remedy that by clever programming, but...

Also, the effects are very limited and not so good-sounding to me.

There are no 'extra' waveforms; and the FM is not modulatable, which renders it much less useful - but those are minor points.

The first thing I'd do if I wanted to use the Ion professionally would be to pair it with some good-quality external effects. I'd also try some kind of tube amp simulator, or even a real tube preamp. Modulating the pitch of one oscillator with an LFO *very slightly*, then modulating the LFO speed with a second LFO or envelope can help achieving that 'analog' sound - if that's what you're after.

And when you don't need the full 8-voice polyphony, Unison mode is usually your friend.

Marino, Thank you so much for such a useful response. Of course I hear the thinness in sound too but I just chalked it up to a typical VA quality found in these type of machines.

The tube preamp and LFO recommendation will help make my lead and bass sounds nice and toasty.

Thanks Man!

:)

Peace

You're welcome Keybass.

Btw for bass sounds, especially if of the percussive quality, I would modulate the pitch of one oscillator with a very fast envelope instead of an LFO. Enabling two-channel Unison with a slight detuning should help too.

Earlier this year I needed to bag a decent VA for covering analog-style prog and fusion leads. The choice was coming down to a used SH-201, a used Ion, or a new Venom. The Ion won out. Near-mint condition for $380. Sweet!

I think I made the right choice. I wanted good analog feel, lots of knobs, and a sturdy build quality for gigging. The Ion's knobs are nice and big, smooth and rubbery. The extra mod wheel is a big plus for me, as is the mod matrix which puts this synth in a completely different league from its VA competitors. The key action isn't as nice as my Korg or Roland flagship synths (and the keybed lacks aftertouch), but you can't have it all for that price. Overall I have been very satisfied with the Ion.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I have owned an Ion since June 2004 and enjoy it immensely. However, I've had some issues you might want to be aware of and watch out for. When it was about a year old (just past warrenty expiration), the volume control needed replacement to eliminate a miserable hum in the left channel. For the past 3 years the second modulation wheel refuses to work during cold weather. And recently the left channel volume has decreased relative to the right channel. Apparently the FET's that minimize the pop when the unit is turned on are failing (this is a known issue). Not to whine about the Ion....it sounds great and I love it...It's just not the best built synth around.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Personally if I were to get this VA it would be in the package of a Miniak. I think a Miniak would stand a better chance of lasting for awhile. The Ion has the nicer front panel though which is obviously rather important.

Be very careful with it. Handle it very gently and don't put any downward or sideward pressure on those knobs when you use them. It may look like it's built like a tank but it's not.

The Ion's knobs are bolted onto the front panel instead of attached to the underlying circuit board (as is the case with most synths), so if you are the type who would ruin the Ion's knobs from mishandling, then you'd probably completely tear up the knobs on any other synth.

Compared to other VA's, I'd say the Ion is actually pretty well built (except for the FET/volume circuits perhaps). Its body certainly is -- it has a steel chassis, whereas most other VA's are plastic.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Sorry... actually I had assumed that the knobs were directly attached to the circuit board because so many users were having problems with them. I remember knob issues coming up over and over again when this synth was current.

Don't own one myself so no first-hand experience.

Archived