Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Latin Rhythm is this?

Jazz+

[1] 2 3 [4] 5 [6] 7 8

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really a clave pattern.

It sounds more like something Brazilian to me, but it is generic enough to be applicable in many different styles.

That's what I think, anyway.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

[1] 2 3 [4] 5 [6] 7 8

Actually the 3-side of a typical clave would be [1] 2 3 [4] 5 6 [7] 8

Or, less confusingly (to me anyway), emphasis on 1, and-of-2, and 4. What Jazz+ posted is emphasis on 1, and-of-2, and and-of-3. Dunno what that is. :idk

Michelle? ;)

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Looks like accents I use in a Forro tune I've written ... my understanding is that it's the first half of a "zabumba" drum pattern. The Zabumba, as well as the styles of music it is used in, including Forro, are from Northeastern Brazil. Although it's a drum pattern, I use it as the rhythm of the bass line in sections of the forro I wrote (the entire 2-bar rhythm, not just the first half shown here). I hope this helps! So where did you hear this, Jazz+?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I believe it is a tresillo.

two dotted quarters followed by a quarter.

It's not that, it's a dotted quarter followed by two quarters

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Now what if you shift it a beat ahead like salsa, Michele Camilo plays this in his syncopated left hand stride on "Blue Bossa"

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 | 1 [2] 3 [4] 5 6 [7] 8 |

Root on the 4 , voicing on the "+" of 1 and then a pickup bass note on the "+" of 2

[video:youtube]

I REMEMBERED! There's a Kneebody tune called "You Have One Unheard Message" that uses this rhythm:

[video:youtube]

I don't know that I've ever heard this pattern anywhere else, at least as part of a bonafide ethnic style of music.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

The short answer: it's not really a particular latin rhythm.

The longer answer:

Michelle, wow now that you mention it I have heard that on Zabumba, but... I don't think it's the standard pattern:

[video:youtube]QzSaG2GHxpM

It IS a pretty common pattern on the Alfaia drum, in Maracatu music... just a little ways north up the coast in Pernambuco :)

Skip to 1:29 to hear it:

[video:youtube]uppBVWp7s9Y

... all of which makes me want to say that I'm not really sure that we should call Brazilian music "Latin". There is this whole, rich, diverse, musical awesomeness happening there and much of it has very little in common with what we usually think of as "Latin" music. My apologies to any Brasileiros who disagree-- please correct me.

AND Maracatu is so freaking cool. Mangue Beat, which is a rock/Funk/Maracatu descendent is badass. Listen to Chico Science And Nacao Zumbi for a serious rethinking of Brazilian music. "Girl From Ipanema", it aint!

Archived