Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I shouldn't go to guitar shows

Fred_C

I went to the Phila. Guitar Show last weekend. I shouldn't do that. I just make myself crazy :crazy:.

Every time I go, I talk with this local luthier who makes very nice archtops in the $3-4K range. He wants me to play one of his instruments and is willing to cut me an amazing deal.

The only problem is that I don't have any discretionary income for guitars for the foreseeable future. So, I'm thinking about selling my Carvin SH-550 to help pay for it.

If I decide to sell the Carvin, I'll post an ad in the Classified section and will offer a very favorable price.

I'm curious if there are any members out there who are planning a purchase of $1400-1500 over the next six months or so?

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like you have found your archtop and are halfway there in the purchasing ability to pay for it...so I say buy it!! Take out a loan for $1,500+/-...Then sell whatever you can to pay the loan off sooner...once you have the guitar in your hand that you have been dreaming of, don't let go of it. ;)
Take care, Larryz

Sounds like you have found your archtop and are halfway there in the purchasing ability to pay for it...so I say buy it!! Take out a loan for $1,500+/-...Then sell whatever you can to pay the loan off sooner...once you have the guitar in your hand that you have been dreaming of, don't let go of it. ;)

Hey Larry,

How you doin'?

Actually that is the one complication. I'm not certain that this is the archtop of my dreams. His instruments are very nice and play very well . However, if I close my eyes and whisper the word "guitar", the image I get in my head is a Gretsch Falcon. That's a White Falcon with a trapeze tailpiece rather than the Bibsby on the Wh. Falcon. I am tempted to take him up on his offer, but I'm not certain. I got married once without being certain. I divorced the bitch two years later. That was an expensive mistake.

Glad I got to see both your posts, before I offered any opinion, but here I go . . .

My first thought is that a custom-made guitar like this, should, in fact, be the guitar of your dreams, especially if you have to make either a considerable investment, or a sacrifice, both of which seem to be the case here. I'd want to talk with some other players who have this maker's guitars, and I'd want to have one in my hands for longer than a trip to the guitar show would probably allow. Do you get a choice of woods, hardware, electronics and inlay (if any), or are you being offered a deal on a guitar that's already been built?

My second thought is that the Falcon is a very specific choice, in terms of style, tone and feel - it's not another Gibson clone. I'd want to be really sure, either way. That's the best advice I've got.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'm curious if there are any members out there who are planning a purchase of $1400-1500 over the next six months or so?

Barring unforeseen, radical changes in my finances, strings, any necessary repair/replacement parts, and maybe tubes are all I'll be purchasing in the near future.

...if I close my eyes and whisper the word "guitar", the image I get in my head is a Gretsch Falcon. That's a White Falcon with a trapeze tailpiece rather than the Bibsby on the Wh. Falcon. I am tempted to take him up on his offer, but I'm not certain. I got married once without being certain. I divorced the bitch two years later. That was an expensive mistake.

Well, can't he make something more or less along those lines for you? A solid-colored finish would even make it easier to use good quality but cosmetically 'lesser' woods, possibly reducing cost... ?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

My first thought is that a custom-made guitar like this, should, in fact, be the guitar of your dreams, especially if you have to make either a considerable investment, or a sacrifice, both of which seem to be the case here. I'd want to talk with some other players who have this maker's guitars, and I'd want to have one in my hands for longer than a trip to the guitar show would probably allow. Do you get a choice of woods, hardware, electronics and inlay (if any), or are you being offered a deal on a guitar that's already been built?

Hey WP,

Thanks for your insightful remarks.

The deal is on two guitars that have already been built rather than a custom job. To my knowledge, there are no options avaiable, especially at the terrific price he offered to me. I think that speaking to a few owners is a great idea. I should mention that I've been speaking with this guy for the last two years (the show is bi-annual) and he always has a booth.

I plan on implementing both of your recommendaitons, (longer eval. period and reference checks) should I decide to move forward with this.

Thanks!

I'm not certain that this is the archtop of my dreams....I am tempted to take him up on his offer, but I'm not certain. I got married once without being certain. I divorced the bitch two years later. That was an expensive mistake.

As the Black Keys put it...

Well, the look on the cake

It ain't always the taste

My ex-girl she had

Such a beautiful face

I wanted love

But not for myself

But for the girl

So she could love herself

Oh my next girl

Will be nothing like my ex-girl

I made mistakes back then

I'll never do it again

With my next girl

She'll be nothing like my ex-girl

It was a painful dance

And I got a second chance

I took a chance on Jon Kammerer's guitars in 2003, and have been a repeat customer ever since. Their aesthetics were not my vision of "the perfect guitar", but once I started playing them, my vision didnt matter as much.

I'd say go for it.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Hey Larry,

How you doin'?

Actually that is the one complication. I'm not certain that this is the archtop of my dreams. His instruments are very nice and play very well . However, if I close my eyes and whisper the word "guitar", the image I get in my head is a Gretsch Falcon. That's a White Falcon with a trapeze tailpiece rather than the Bibsby on the Wh. Falcon. I am tempted to take him up on his offer, but I'm not certain. I got married once without being certain. I divorced the bitch two years later. That was an expensive mistake.

OK Fred, open those eyes and go get that Falcon!!! You'll be a lot closer if you do not spend the 3 or 4K on the archtop...deny yourself no longer, life's too short! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Glad My second thought is that the Falcon is a very specific choice, in terms of style, tone and feel - it's not another Gibson clone. I'd want to be really sure, either way. That's the best advice I've got.

I have always loved Gretsch's (Gretsches?). I have never played a Gretsch neck that I didn't like. I've played Tennesseans, Anniversary, Country Gent and a Tennessee Rose. Loved them all! And the Falcon is such a beautiful instrument. When I look at the picture on MusiciansFriend.com, I can almost hear her say "Let's play Jazz together."

On the other hand, this luthier is such a nice guy and he really wants me to play one of his guitars. He offered me an incredible deal.

I'm glad I don't have to decide immediately.

. I`m totally hooked on the Tokyo Music instrument fair, also a biannual event. Put me on a plane to Sydney to get a guitar. Nope, don`t regret it.

"The Tokyo Music Instrument fair", Man, that sounds far out! I bet that's amazing. What did you buy in Sydney?

OK Fred, open those eyes and go get that Falcon!!! You'll be a lot closer if you do not spend the 3 or 4K on the archtop...deny yourself no longer, life's too short! :thu:

Can't right now. I don't think this is a good time to take on additional debt. I think that the Falcon is the answer.

I think WP's idea was best. Talk to some of his previous customers and see what they tell you about the guitars. From what I read often in here is that you can ALWAYS swap or sell down the road. After all, there IS no such thing as "guitar Catholocism", which means commited for life. Just because this guy's giving you a "good deal" doesn't mean you're married to the axe. IF his instruments have an excellent reputation, the resale value down a short road MIGHT snatch enough money to put you even CLOSER to the Gretsch.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I have always loved Gretsch's (Gretsches?). I have never played a Gretsch neck that I didn't like. I've played Tennesseans, Anniversary, Country Gent and a Tennessee Rose. Loved them all! And the Falcon is such a beautiful instrument. When I look at the picture on MusiciansFriend.com, I can almost hear her say "Let's play Jazz together."

On the other hand, this luthier is such a nice guy and he really wants me to play one of his guitars. He offered me an incredible deal.

I'm glad I don't have to decide immediately.

Can't he make something more or less along the lines of a Gretsch White Falcon with a trapeze tailpiece for you? A solid-colored finish would even make it easier to use good quality but cosmetically 'lesser' woods, possibly reducing cost... ?

Either have him make a THE guitar that you want, or get the white Gretsch Falcon.

I'm sure this will help... :D:thu:

______ http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll5nfpki7q1qk0qado1_500.jpg

. I`m totally hooked on the Tokyo Music instrument fair, also a biannual event. Put me on a plane to Sydney to get a guitar. Nope, don`t regret it.

"The Tokyo Music Instrument fair", Man, that sounds far out! I bet that's amazing. What did you buy in Sydney?

Fred that fair is insane. It`s all instruments, plus performances. The cool thing is, it`s a petting zoo. You don`t look, you pick up and play.

Last year Taylor had a room with their entire lineup. Wanna play one, go right ahead. No time limit, no sales people. They don`t CARE if you want to buy one. They are there to let you feel the magic. The entire place is like that. And not just the big companies, our man Boggs would have a blast there.

Oh-what did I buy in Sydney:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/skipclone1/SidneyGuitar.jpg

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Hey Caevan,

WOW!! That's the exact guitar! Where did you find this ad? It's perfect. I'm gonna' print it out and frame it. I don't think I'll be happy with anything else. I've just gotta' save my pennies.

The model is super cute. I wonder if she's a jazz player :laugh:.

That's Kim Falcon. :cool:

One of the many white Falcons NOT for sale...

Ba - dum - >CHING!< :rimshot::D

Hey Caevan,

Who is she? Is she famous? Model? Movie star? Musician?

A self-starter cottage-industry model/rep/spokesperson/rockabilly chick kinda sorta grrrl. She's done a lot of photos for Gretsch and appears at their booth at NAMM shows, etc. Google 'er up, she's got her own 'site, Facebook, Myspace, Gretsch calendars, etc. etc.

Hey Skip,

A truly beautiful instrument. What is it?

Cole Clark, of Melbourne. Some say their acoustics are even better than the electrics but all the ones I tried are great.

I changed the pickups to a Bartolini set but still have the originals.

One of the many white Falcons NOT for sale...

Ba - dum - >CHING!< :rimshot::D

Hey Caevan,

Who is she? Is she famous? Model? Movie star? Musician?

A self-starter cottage-industry model/rep/spokesperson/rockabilly chick kinda sorta grrrl. She's done a lot of photos for Gretsch and appears at their booth at NAMM shows, etc. Google 'er up, she's got her own 'site, Facebook, Myspace, Gretsch calendars, etc. etc.

She's also been in some print ads for some microphone companies. Cascade and Peluso, IIRC.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Fred, the next time you go to a guitar show, you better hope she's not there...I know you wouldn't have much sales resistance...hell, I might have to buy one myself!!

Tell me about it:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/skipclone1/NEC_0009.jpg

Archived