Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo/Hamichord VB3-2 using additional/custom preamps?

WheelHead

Thinking about getting a preamp/modeler rack to run the VB3-2 to my 3300. I have QSCs (K12s) also so it would be interesting to see if there would be significant improvement using the Ventilator OR the onboard sim with the product too along with the 3300.

There were threads by owners about not needing their preamps with the Ventilator as the V itself modeled the tone somewhat. Not like the old days when these greatly improved the CX3s, etc. So perhaps the need may be dated somewhat with state-of-the-art devices/software.

Wondering if anyone found material improvement who uses a custom preamp or modeler compared to direct hookup to Leslie/or speakers with specifically the VB3-2.

W.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W, I have just acquire a crumar mojo and I have a speakeasy vintage preamp that i used to use with a korg bx3. However, I have not hooked them up primarily because the mojo through my qsc k10's is so warm and rich sounding that I can't be bothered!

Seriously, I doubt you will find any significant improvement in the sound by inserting a preamp in the chain! Preamps were great for taking the digital edge off clones that had a digital edge.. I'm not hearing that with my mojo.

I may hook up my mojo to my speakeasy when i want to try to mojo with one of me real Leslie's, but that's the only reason I'd bother with a preamp on vb3-2.

Just my opinion of course..

If I have time to try the speakeasy and a real leslie with my mojo in the next day or so I will let you know.. It's something I do want to try.

Craig

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Edit update: Found a thread on the AMA to 3300. I see this is an old topic.

AMA to 3300

I hooked up my Mojo to my Speakeasy AMA rig, but it has a bad input jack that I have to get fixed before I can give it a fair shake.

It would be nice to read a report on this if/when you get a chance, though saying that it is laying around not repaired, kind of makes a statement to the perceived direness/usefulness of being needed/used

W, I have just acquire a crumar mojo and I have a speakeasy vintage preamp that i used to use with a korg bx3. However, I have not hooked them up primarily because the mojo through my qsc k10's is so warm and rich sounding that I can't be bothered!

Seriously, I doubt you will find any significant improvement in the sound by inserting a preamp in the chain! Preamps were great for taking the digital edge off clones that had a digital edge.. I'm not hearing that with my mojo.

I may hook up my mojo to my speakeasy when i want to try to mojo with one of me real Leslie's, but that's the only reason I'd bother with a preamp on vb3-2.

Just my opinion of course..

If I have time to try the speakeasy and a real leslie with my mojo in the next day or so I will let you know.. It's something I do want to try.

Craig

That would be great. I have a feeling the most useful for myself using the 3300 would be the AMA, though, the audio signal chain may not be as recommended clone/AMA/3300 preamp I wonder. Need to read the AMA manual.

W.

Archived