Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Radiohead Stage Collapsed

Ken Beaumont

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes you think twice about playing outside on a covered stage...

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're planning on hanging over 100 LED panels on your next outside gig. That's what Radiohead did - took their visuals from this show and hung them all on a portable stage.

[video:youtube]

This morning there are reports that the original site engineer wouldn't let them hang that much extra weight on the structure, so he was fired and another guy was brought in who signed off on it.

I heard a similar explanation for some other incidents of this nature last year when I inquired.

I didn't sleep too well this weekend as I couldn't get ahold of anyone who had more details than what was in the initial press reports, and couldn't blow up the photos enough or with sufficient detail to discover the vendors involved.

As some of you know, my software is depended on for predicting accurate rigging loads at festivals, installations, and the like. So I kind of freak out when an incident happens -- especially involving death or major injury -- that might be the result of calculation errors.

Radiohead has been a client in the past but I couldn't find info on whether they still are. The rigging looks like someone else's, and also we don't do lighting and that looks to be where the fault was in this case.

It's a tragedy either way, and the poop I've heard so far is that these things are happening more frequently now primarily due to the lighting. In fact, sound design is becoming more difficult as the lighting needs are taking over so much of the available real estate on stage and in the outdoor venues in particular.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Sure... Blame it on the lighting designer...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It's a very real problem. But it doesn't mean that particular incident was caused in that way, or that the designer vs. a technician, vendor, or contractor was at fault.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived