Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggest some 80s synth rock listening

I'm going through an 80s synth-rock listening phase right now and looking for more music along the lines of:

- Kevin Gilbert / Giraffe

- 1978-81 era Genesis

- Vince Dicola (yes, of 1984 Transformers and Rocky IV soundtrack fame)

I can't quite put a name to the style I'm looking for, but what I like from the above is polychordal/Dave Stewart-esque synth work & harmony.

I keep using online databases that are supposed to find other stuff I might like. They all send me to mainstream acts like Devo or Nine Inch Nails or Human League, but I don't want cheesy synth pop, industrial, or New Wave ...

I want more of that late-70s, early-80s, well-written, harmonically interesting, synth driven, dense je ne se quoi that I was too young to know when it was around ... stuff like (mind the hair):

[video:youtube]T4I5SKrlzTs

Any suggestions?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any Depeche Mode. Maybe not rock, but still must listen stuff for 80's synth.

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

Speaking of Psychedelic Furs and Simple Minds...Two of my favs by them:

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

Griff mentioned Joy Division - early New Order would be be along the same lines.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

This is almost as bad as AnotherScott's "name that song" thread. http://planetsmilies.net/tongue-smiley-8876.gif ;)

Yeah, I know ... but I thought there may be someone here who could put a name to what I'm listening for.

I appreciate all the suggestions, though - it's giving me a lot to look into that I missed the first time around, or only heard the radio hits.

My favourite recs have already been listed, but I also like the ones the OP dissed. :-)

Tears for Fears is touring currently and I plan to look up info on who is with them. They have the most diverse catalogue of any of the acts associated with that style, never really repeating themselves. Some of their early songs like "Change" still send shivers down my spine due to the harmonic progressions.

Don't forget Missing Persons, and the one-off Yes/Buggles album "Drama".

On the quirkier side, give Lene Lovich a try, and some of Nina Hagen's post-punk offerings. Perhaps overly affected at times, Heaven 17 has interesting harmonies and arrangements, but their material is very variable in quality.

One of my favourites is The Associates. Billy Mackenzie committed suicide during an especially dark and long winter in Northern Scotland a decade or so ago, sadly. I think his mother and his Afghan Hounds died within short order and he was very depressed. Siouxsie Sioux was very close friends with him and put out a single to raise money for a suicide prevention charity right afterwards. You can hear the melancholy in his music but it is hauntingly beautiful, and what a voice!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Some of the artists with Pop songs have some pretty good stuff that never made it to radio.

Soft Cell's stuff is nothing like Tainted Love. Most of it is much darker. Pet Shop Boys (already mentioned) also falls into that category.

Other bands that come to mind are Naked Eyes, Howard Jones, Aha, and Icicle Works.

Surprised nobody's mentioned The Cure.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The Buggles did some really cool stuff.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Mr. Mister back in the day. They were really good. Steve Farris is a Hell of guitar player.

I don't even remember who they opened for. Mr. Mister must have kicked their ass.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Van Halen?

They are really good but getting the tab for I'll Wait is kind of difficult.

The Fixx, Flock of Seagulls, The Vapors

Dan

Yes! I saw the Phantoms tour. The Fixx kicked ass.

Yeah, I know ... but I thought there may be someone here who could put a name to what I'm listening for.

The reason why it's so hard to put a name to it is because that was a magic little pocket of bands that happened during a period where technology was changing and the industry was in a "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" mode.

The music you're looking at has elements of art rock, prog, new wave, punk, and a whole lot of other flavors. I don't think they really came up with a "genre" name to fit it - only the dominant styles that rose out of it (like synth pop, Brit pop, etc)

Don't forget The Cure!

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2012/05/26/cure-pinkpop-video-setlist-reeves-gabrels/

Very excited by the news of Reeves Gabrels joining the band on guitar. Reeves is a great guy; I used to talk with him at shows in Boston when he was still on the local scene -- always in bands that were on the verge of going big time nationally. Then Bowie hired him, and after that he did soundtrack and games music.

Make sure to watch the phenomenal video of 35 minutes of concert footage from this tour. Lots of Schecters on stage, of course, and a Motif XF6 mated with a Kurzweil PC3K! I hadn't seen Reeves in awhile and didn't realize he'd gone white and partially bald. He still looks cool though; a man at peace with himself and those around him. A good match for the band.

The Cure are a great example of how to have guitar rock that is synth-laden, where neither fully dominates.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I agree with the previously mentioned Thomas Dolby, Howard Jones, Duran Duran... The Who and Pete Townsend have, in my opinion, always been underrated and under the radar, when it comes to incredible memorable and original synth parts in rock (Who Are You, Baba O'Riley, Won't Get Fooled Again, Eminence Front, You Better You Bet, etc.)

Archived