Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Do You Think?

TuskBuffer

So, I've been playing around with a laser to put logos on my picks. Those of you who already have some of my picks know that they've always just been plain, and now I'm thinking of changing it up. I've tried a few different designs, kind of settling on these two and I'd like your opinion--which do you think would look better? Which looks cooler, more professional, etc.? I know the logo is a tad off center, this was my first time messing around with it.

So should I:

Use the full logo (on the left)

Use the script "TuskBuffer" alone

Leave them blank

Use your custom logo/graphics

As always, your opinions are very valuable, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated--Thanks!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Laser.jpg

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the elephant. Very cool. The idea of a custom logo is cool too - might create a lot of headaches for you though.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

I like the elephant. Very cool. The idea of a custom logo is cool too - might create a lot of headaches for you though.

Pssst- MAMMOTH, not "elephant"- we don't want to get Tusk' in any trouble! :thu:

Offer 'em blank OR logoed (or with custom graphics as an upcharged option); and for those with logos, put the full logo on one side, and the script on the other.

Maybe consider having the fonts on the bottom of the full-size logo follow a curve, an arc, to match the edge of the pick; same with the script, but in the opposite direction. But it's fine like it is. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Pssst- MAMMOTH, not "elephant"- we don't want to get Tusk' in any trouble! :thu:

Offer 'em blank OR logoed (or with custom graphics as an upcharged option); and for those with logos, put the full logo on one side, and the script on the other.

Maybe consider having the fonts on the bottom of the full-size logo follow a curve, an arc, to match the edge of the pick; same with the script, but in the opposite direction. But it's fine like it is. :cool:

Oops - Thanks for the correction Caev - Sorry bout that Tusk!

I'm just an ignorant Neanderthal :taz:

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Like 'em both, honestly. Do they have noticeable texture?

Without the logo and such, there is no texture--I polish my picks to be as smooth as glass. The laser engraving puts a little bit of a light texture on the surface, but shouldn't affect the grip at all.

Caev--good lookin' out! When I saw "elephant," my eyes popped out and my hair stood up for a second, made me look like one of those darn troll dolls! I was thinking of the logo on one side, script on the other except with the "TuskBuffer" taken off the bottom of the logo, which would also give a bit of an arc on the bottom. I dunno--got some more playing around to do, I just don't want it to look tacky or anything--that's why I'm asking for y'all's input :)

The custom logos I would do is something that the customer already has and can send me a jpeg or something--like their band name/logo, picture, initials, even a short message (Happy Birthday or somehing). Lots of possibilities there!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Without the logo and such, there is no texture--I polish my picks to be as smooth as glass. The laser engraving puts a little bit of a light texture on the surface, but shouldn't affect the grip at all.

Hmmm...I just got my hands on some more agate picks that were fairly smooth...and they kind of move in my grip a bit. Do your picks have a shape that counteracts that?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I've had the same experience with agate - it can be very slick. Maybe some cross-hatching to improve the grip?

Going back to the original question, I like the "Tuskbuffer" model without the Mammoth - less busy, more streamlined - although I suppose streamlining isn't the first thing that comes to mind, contemplating the Wooly Mammoth . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Hmmm...I just got my hands on some more agate picks that were fairly smooth...and they kind of move in my grip a bit. Do your picks have a shape that counteracts that?

Agate is very cool, but you're right--it'll get slippery when your fingers get sweaty because, like plastic, it repels water. No matter what kind of pattern or grip you put on it, you'll never totally escape that fact. Mammoth ivory, however, is slightly absorbent and actually grips to your fingers MORE when they get sweaty. That "ivory grip" and the improved tone are in my opinion the most important and immediately noticeable features of these picks. If you want something with divots I've got my version of the Dunlop Big Stubby (3 mm), but you'll still get great grip with a completely flat pick.

http://www.tuskbuffer.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2BigStubbys.jpg

I'm not trying to turn this into a sales pitch post - lol - but here's some more info: http://www.tuskbuffer.net/whyivory.html

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

I've had the same experience with agate - it can be very slick. Maybe some cross-hatching to improve the grip?

Going back to the original question, I like the "Tuskbuffer" model without the Mammoth - less busy, more streamlined - although I suppose streamlining isn't the first thing that comes to mind, contemplating the Wooly Mammoth . . .

That's kind of my thinking too--I really like the full logo on the left, but I'm afraid that it looks like a novelty pick rather than something that would be regularly used, and these are certainly made to be used!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

That's kind of my thinking too--I really like the full logo on the left, but I'm afraid that it looks like a novelty pick rather than something that would be regularly used, and these are certainly made to be used!

Personally, I really like the full logo. It looks like the sort of graphics I'm used to seeing on a pick. Plus, it helps to promote your product. I'm not sure you should be charging extra (or that anyone would pay more) to have your logo on their pick but custom stuff, for sure!

As far as the promotional value, I think it's great and the full size logo looks fantastic.

Personally, I really like the full logo. It looks like the sort of graphics I'm used to seeing on a pick. Plus, it helps to promote your product.

As far as the promotional value, I think it's great and the full size logo looks fantastic.

Much agreed. :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Alas, my hands are really, really dry- the only time they get sweaty is when some runs down my arms. I just happen to ALSO have very smooth fingertips, so they're not very grippy.

So I like picks with etched logos & such for flattish picks, or indentations. In addition, as a MBA (Marketing), I have to say the distinctive logo IS a plus.

So I'm with A String 100%.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I`m thinking that someone seeing it for the first time might have the same little semantic mixup with that other ivory bearing critter as a moment ago.

Now, this may actually be a good thing. If another musician tries the pick and sees the mammoth, he may ask:

"Is that an elephant? Is this pick made of elephant ivory?!? You know that's illegal, right??"

At which point you can respond:

"Actually, this thing is made of Mammoth ivory..."

and go about describing the pick and the material etc.

In the long run, it may open up discussion about the product and create more business.

Yes I agree, if someone is open minded and will talk about it.

That would be my wish too-and having my own experiences and interacting with some of the folks who have come and gone here, I`m surprised at how ideological some musicians can be.

For my take on that scenario, a musician tries one of the picks, loves it (oh, like myself for instance :D ), and asks, `What is this material? it`s awesome!`.

And T-buffer says `It`s ivory from extinct mammoths`. The illegal ivory issue doesn`t come up, unless someone is an advocate or something, it`s an additional, um...buffer.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Man, it's no wonder I come to this group for advice! You guys totally ROCK! Looks like the scales are tipped pretty heavily to the logo side. I wouldn't charge to put my own logo on, but would charge maybe $5/pick for custom work (lots of people have asked about that).

I like the full Mammoth logo myself. I want one, when are you going to be selling them with the logo? Also, are you planning on selling any printed t-shirts or hats?

I can probably start selling them very soon with the logo on them. The laser isn't mine and I've got to go across town to use it, so give me an idea what thickness you'd want and I'll make sure I have some ready to go for you :thu: Hats and T-Shirts...I was thinking of having something funny (or stupid, depending how you look at it) like "Ask me about my tusk..." Like what was already mentioned, it might be funny or crazy enough to get that conversation started.

Oh yeah, and don't forget--that discount for GP Forum members still stands for $5 off/pick. GPForum1 (if ordering 1 pick), GPForum2 (if ordering 2 picks), etc.

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

I wouldn't charge to put my own logo on, but would charge maybe $5/pick for custom work (lots of people have asked about that).

That's what I meant to say. Custom etching would be worth a few extra bux.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived