Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: "Because your taste in Music Sucks!"

tarkus

:laugh:

My wife doesn't mince words and is always a source of honest critique.

Funny thing is we have similar taste along many lines. It is the way-out stuff she doesn't like.

The theme of sucky taste re-emerged during the recent Rock Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

She was remarking how "they'll put anyone in the Rock Hall for any reason".

I said: "well they have a criteria, but ultimately if Jan Wenner thinks you're in,.... then you're in!"

She doubted it and continued "I can't think of anybody that has been overlooked"

I replied - "ya mean like the artists that comprise my entire record collection?"

"well, your taste in music sucks."

:/

to prove hr point she went to the website for the Rock Hall and asked who in my opinion deserves some kind of recognition?

It was glaring hat while Jan Wenner abhores Progressive Rock, there were several influental artists left out.

Jan's Record collection is like a gumbo without file` and Ocra

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When did this progressive rock thing happen? I was there when that stuff was new and I never anyone call it progressive until maybe a few years ago. If anything I guess ir was called FM or album rock because the songs were too long or not enough people liked it to make singles out of it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

So, what's in your collection?

his name might give us a clue... ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When did this progressive rock thing happen? I was there when that stuff was new and I never anyone call it progressive until maybe a few years ago.

I remember it being called progressive when it was new. That was before "neo prog" and "prog metal" came along.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Rather than just my collection, the most obvious missing and based on why my wife says my taste in music sucks...

Deep Purple

Doobie Brothers

Jethro Tull

ELP

YES

Little Feat

The Meters

Weather Report (Why not? they include all sorts of non-rock folks intheir?)

Warren Zevon

King Crimson (My wife hates King Crimson ;) )

plenty more that even I don't think have the catalog, but when you search the Hall for what you'd think would be a "shoe-in"... you scratch your head.

I always complain that Bob Moog will never get recognized.

When did this progressive rock thing happen? I was there when that stuff was new and I never anyone call it progressive until maybe a few years ago. If anything I guess ir was called FM or album rock because the songs were too long or not enough people liked it to make singles out of it.

Nah - Scott Muni back in the Seventies helped promote the term. It didn't hurt havig Roger Waters on an interview referring to the genre as "progressive".

Rather than just my collection, the most obvious missing and based on why my wife says my taste in music sucks...

Deep Purple

Doobie Brothers

Jethro Tull

ELP

YES

Little Feat

The Meters

Warren Zevon

And you married her because...? :laugh:

I'm kidding.

I have no idea why my wife married me.

She HATES a B3/Leslie.

Or maybe it's just Jimmy Smith.

I don't know. :rolleyes:

I would say that she married me for my looks.

But I would be lying.

Again. :cry:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Guy stuff. :cool: Chicks like Bon Jovi, they can't stand ELP or YES (the majority of em, not all). RUSH to them is like "Steel Magnolias" to us. Crimson to them is like us watching Oprah interview Sally Field. :laugh:

Deep Purple

Doobie Brothers

Jethro Tull

ELP

YES

Little Feat

The Meters

Warren Zevon

And you married her because...? :laugh:

I'm kidding.

I have no idea why my wife married me.

She HATES a B3/Leslie.

Or maybe it's just Jimmy Smith.

I don't know. :rolleyes:

I would say that she married me for my looks.

But I would be lying.

Again. :cry:

I'm lucky - she sorta likes Jimmy Smith :)

Guy stuff. :cool: Chicks like Bon Jovi, they can't stand ELP or YES (the majority of em, not all). RUSH to them is like "Steel Magnolias" to us. Crimson to them is like us watching Oprah interview Sally Field. :laugh:

My wife hates Bon Jovi...

but I see your parallel

Well, they do list as criteria, "the influence and significance of the artists contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

Perhaps the biggest contribution of ELP and other prog toward the perpetuation of rock and roll is that, without prog to rebel against, punk might not have taken off...

Well, they do list as criteria, "the influence and significance of the artists contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

Perhaps the biggest contribution of ELP and other prog toward the perpetuation of rock and roll is that, without prog to rebel against, punk might not have taken off...

brilliant!

Well it isn't nearly as good as I remembered it. Kansas kicks their ass and all those other British guys too.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

One word: RUSH.

agreed

Jan Wenner hates Rush

Yep.

Rush should have been inducted well before G'n'R and RHCP.

Maybe the HoF is saving one of the best bands for last. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived