Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Earl Scruggs

SEHpicker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The man astounded me from day one with his playing. I was watching the Opry and the Porter Wagoner Show back in the 60's when it was not at all cool to like country music in my area. But I could not understand why no one in my northern town thought much of it. To this day I think country pickers are some of the best musicians around.

RIP Earl

There WAS some impressive guitar work on that show. You know, in between certain scenes.

Whitefang

Yeah Fang - I remember seeing one where Flats & Scruggs made a guest appearance as old friends from the backwoods. Good memories.

Saw Jeff Beck in concert a few years back where he stopped in the middle of some rippin lead and broke into the Beverly Hillbillys theme song - it was great!

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

There WAS some impressive guitar work on that show. You know, in between certain scenes.

Whitefang

Yeah Fang - I remember seeing one where Flats & Scruggs made a guest appearance as old friends from the backwoods. Good memories.

They made more than one appearance on that show. However, the actresses they hired to play their wives drew my then post-pubescent, adolescent eyes in another direction... ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

3 greats in one week, wow. I'm a NC native and I remember Porter Wagner, Dolly Parton, Flatt and Scruggs on Saturdays when I was a child. Though I'd never share it with my peers back then, i was always fascinated by that "banjo wind" when hey played. How did they pick the rhythms so fast and kept the time so accurately? Always impressed. And who will ever forget their forrays into the world of Jed Clampett? Those were the days! R.I.P. Mr. Scruggs

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

• 4 weeks later...

Archived