Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Doing versions of cover tunes

Nillerbabs

Hey folks,

I had a rehersal with my wedding band today, and the singer had brought a 90's tune by a top Danish singer, which she thought might draw some people to the dance floor, given that a lot of people know it. It starts off with this cool little riff, but when the verse kicks in, it's just plain dull. Well, at the spot I threw down some chords that fit with said riff, thus continuing it in the verse.

It was really cool and groovy, everybody agreed on that. All instrumentalists agreed that "well, this is cool, let's try it out on an audience", but the vocalist, although agreeing that it was inarguably cool, thought it was just too different from the original, and that we might just end up upsetting people by playing the song 'wrongly'. And, well, it is quite different.

This made me want to ask here, have any of you played altered versions of popular tunes, and how have audiences responded? Do people really just want to hear the music they know inside out by a band that for that matter could just be miming to the sound of the originals? Or do they fancy a groovier, more danceable, albeit altered, version of a familiar song?

If any of you are interested,

the song in question.

Best regards. Niels :-)

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With a tune like that - about the only rule in the the "wedding cover band" rule book that we is - it that the tune must be recognizable as "that tune". Adding, changing, revamping parts is all "fair game" - provided that you don't loose the "spirit" of the tune completely in the process. I gave the tune you're talking about a couple of seconds worth of listening .... it's a middle of the road dance ballad ... I'd go with whatever you feel like. I suspect your vocalist is just jealous because the one thing you can't change much (and still have it be the same tune) - are the words!
The SpaceNorman :freak:

This tune starts out pretty dull. So if you are adding something rhythmic and interesting I don't see the harm.

The classic rock cover band I am in takes some liberties. For example, our version of "Sympathy for the Devil" is more Wide Spread Panic than Rolling Stones. We are a quartet so a lot of songs I will do more fill because we don't have two guitars.

Some songs we have been unable to do a good cover version and we end up spending some time on them, and dropping them if they don't come along quickly.

Hope this helps....

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

If youre not a tribute band anything goes. The pop band Im in was practicing Give me Some Lovin yesterday and somehow we ended up with My Sharona riffs through out the song. I dont get it but the rest of the band liked it so next weekend well be playing Give Me Some Lovin Sharona.

We play a couple AC/DC tunes and I add over-drivin organ to them as well some other rock guitar songs. We play Big Balls. When I learned the tune I pick out Em to C#m in the chorus. Every other AC/DC tune Ive played I leave the 3rd out as the guitar power chords are only playing the 1 and the 5, but the minor seems to work well in this so called song. After playing the tune for months the guitar player got on me for playing a minor chord instead of a major. Hes not playing the 3rd and I think what Im doing sounds good. So is it major or minor when the 3rd doesnt fit?

The major sounds crappy, so I will either drop the 3rd or most likely continue to play the minor. Hey, fire me. At least Im not adding My Sharona to great classic song.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Hey, fire me. At least Im not adding My Sharona to great classic song.

There are some people that might consider My Sharona "a great classic song" in itself.

:cool:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Reasons for making a song Your Own:

Black Magic Woman/Oye Como Va-Santana

Well Alright-Santana, Blind Faith

Love Is Alive-Joan Osborne

Better By You, Better By Me-Judas Priest

Diamonds n Rust-Judas Priest

Green Manilishi-Judas Priest

All Along the Watchtower-Jimi Hendrix

Like a Rolling Stone-Hendrix

Summertime Blues-The Who

How Many More Times-Led Zeppelin

Take Me To The River-Talking Heads

You Really Got Me-Van Halen

Twist n Shout-The Beatles

Woodstock-CSN

Goin Down-Jeff Beck Group

I could keep going, but I think even your bandmates will get the idea.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

With a tune like that - about the only rule in the the "wedding cover band" rule book that we is - it that the tune must be recognizable as "that tune". Adding, changing, revamping parts is all "fair game" - provided that you don't loose the "spirit" of the tune completely in the process. I gave the tune you're talking about a couple of seconds worth of listening .... it's a middle of the road dance ballad ... I'd go with whatever you feel like. I suspect your vocalist is just jealous because the one thing you can't change much (and still have it be the same tune) - are the words!

I agree with all of this.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

We had a problem with this in our band. The guitar player wasn't playing what I call the signature licks in songs. While we don't do exact note fo note covers, I felt it was important that he did. The other guys agreed and the guitarist puts them in. The songs sound more like they should even if he play his own fills and lead. People have to know what song you are playing.

Reasons for making a song Your Own:

Take Me To The River-Talking Heads

Al Green? Or is the original version OK to cover? :laugh:

???? Maybe you don't realize that everything I listed in that post was a cover (not the original artist), and that the artists I listed successfully managed to make the songs identifiable as "their own". I wasn't suggesting songs for anyone's band, nor commenting on a preference over the original.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived